News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Lightning

Started by astralan, October 19, 2021, 01:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astralan

Lightning fried some of my tech. So far I have procured replacements for my Panasonic landline phone and my obi202 (with a obi200).

I use google voice for my phone #. I am on Google fiber.

When I received the obi200, I removed the 202 from my obitalk account and went through the setup a couple of time. The 200 power light was constantly green and the internet light flickered like a good nic getting/receiving packets. However, the phone link is dark. Same with the 202... but the 202 shows up in my (new) router table... the 200 does not. I've rebooted my router 2x and I'v gone through the "swap cables" route but no joy.

The manual says the lack of phone lights means they are not enabled. Neither will respond to any *** command, I get no report. From the looks of it, I would assume dhcp is not enabled on the device but I can't get to any config web page, nor use the ** to enable it.

I'm beginning to wonder if my 202 is really dead. I would really like to get this thing registered and functional but I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions would be helpful. TIA -Brian

SteveInWA

So, no dialtone when you plug in a phone to the OBi 200 and pick up the handset?

Perhaps you have a problem upstream on your network, between your ISP and the OBi, such as your modem/router/switch.  Power everything off, wait 5 minutes, the power everything on again, starting with the modem, router and optional switch.  Wait for each thing to reboot before powering up the next thing.

Turn the OBi 200 upside-down.  Unplug all the cables.  Using a straightened paper clip, gently press it into the hole in the middle of the small circular bump, until you feel a click.  Now, while holding that down with one hand, plug in only the OBi's power cord, wait 10 seconds, release the paper clip and turn it over.  It should now go through a factory defaults restore and you should be able to plug in a phone and get a dial tone, even without an Internet connection.  If not, it's defective.  If so, then plug in the Ethernet cable, power-cycle the OBi again, and see if it gets an IP address.

drgeoff

Quote from: astralan on October 19, 2021, 01:54:38 PM
The manual says the lack of phone lights means they are not enabled. Neither will respond to any *** command, I get no report. From the looks of it, I would assume dhcp is not enabled on the device but I can't get to any config web page, nor use the ** to enable it.
The *** commands such as ***0 and ***1 do not need a network connection.  They should work even with the ethernet cable unplugged.  If you mean that they don't work because there is no dial tone then that is a local matter involving only 3 components - the OBi, the phone and the cord between them.  Unlikely that a new OBi is the cause so that only leaves the other two.  Is the phone plugged directly into the OBi?  If not (eg via an extension cord or house wiring) try that first.

astralan

Well, it took some time, but eventually over the past 2 hours it got an IP from my dhcp server and we're rocking now. I do have some internal wiring issues, but this issue is been finalized. Thanks for your input. -Brian