News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

BUG IDENTIFIED! One cause of "Can Not Connect To Service Provider" message

Started by markosjal, November 01, 2021, 01:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

My 83 year old mother has had a lot of trouble with dialing calls from Obi200/Google Voice . She frequently gets "Could not connect to service provider" . Now I believe I have figured out why she gets that some of the time.

So here is a very simple method that I have used to reproduce this bug:

Note the number provided below, at the time of this Publication is "Unassigned". Dialing it from the T-Mobile network yields a Message, "The subscriber you have dialed is not in service...."

Requirements:
Obi200 on Google Voice
With a standard Obi200 configuration with phone connected to phone port . Note the behavior of my Obi202 connected to my asterisk is not the same and the bug does not appear as I do not hear what I believe are Obi generated messages.

Step 1 (Causing the bug)
Dial this from Obi200 "360 238 5631" (or 1 360 238 5631) . As this number is not in service you should hear a message (generated by Obi 200?) "(SIT Tone) The number you dialed 360 238 5631 Was Rejected by the service provider...".

Step 2 (symptom of bug)
Now immediately hang up and dial any number you know to be VALID. What do you hear? I get "(SIT Tone) The number you dialed did not receive a response from the service provider..." . When in fact you should have dialed a VALID number that rings through but in order to connect to a Valid number now you will need to give the Obi200 a refractory period of a few minutes.

Possible solution (not tested)
disable internally generated messages if possible???

Any comments appreciated. I hope Poly is listening.

SteveInWA

No, I can't duplicate your test results at all.  It's not a meaningful test; whatever you might be experiencing is a coincidence.

I would strongly recommend that you not try to use Google Voice as the telephone service provider for an 83-year-old.  Situations like this will just cause anxiety and frustration.

Use a standard ITSP instead, like Callcentric or voip.ms.  It's simpler, more reliable, and it will provide message waiting (both the stutter tone and the blinking light) when she has a voicemail message.

Taoman

Quote from: markosjal on November 01, 2021, 01:22:00 PM

Step 2 (symptom of bug)
Now immediately hang up and dial any number you know to be VALID. What do you hear? I get "(SIT Tone) The number you dialed did not receive a response from the service provider..." . When in fact you should have dialed a VALID number that rings through but in order to connect to a Valid number now you will need to give the Obi200 a refractory period of a few minutes.

Followed your steps on 2 OBi200s and 1 OBi202 and did not encounter your "BUG IDENTIFIED!" I heard the "did not receive a response from service provider" OBi generated message and then immediately placed a call to a valid number. Worked first time every time.

I would do some more testing using the Call Status page. Are you positive you are actually ending the error message call before starting another call? Look on the Call Status page and refresh it before making a new call to a valid number. Is the page blank when you start the second call?

http://192.168.1.xxx/callstatus.htm

I have experienced what you describe a few times in the past but I never had to wait for a "few minutes." More like a few seconds and for me it wasn't reproducible.

markosjal

This is a test with GOOGLE VOICE, not with another provide. SteveInWA trying with a different provider invalidates it. Your opinion of what I "should" or "should not" use is irrelevant to the test or reproducing the bug.

Taoman is that with Google Voice?

markosjal

The "coincidence" continues and I forgot to mention this is the second Obi200 that I have had this same issue on..

It is not "coincidence" if I can reproduce it exactly EVERY time, it is also quite "meaningful" . SteveInWA please refrain from trying to invalidate what I am doing. If you are not using Google voice you are invalidating your test.

I have not tested on Obi202 as My obi202 has quite an advanced setup with my asterisk and I know it does NOT have the issue.

Taoman

Quote from: markosjal on November 02, 2021, 02:05:00 PM

Yes, this is using 2 separate Google Voice accounts on 3 different ATAs.

SteveInWA

Quote from: markosjal on November 02, 2021, 02:05:00 PM
This is a test with GOOGLE VOICE, not with another provide. SteveInWA trying with a different provider invalidates it. Your opinion of what I "should" or "should not" use is irrelevant to the test or reproducing the bug.

No, I was testing with Google Voice, just like Taoman.  The error message is about as generic as the "Check Engine" light on a car's dashboard; there are many possible causes, and you can't draw a solid conclusion that your test proves anything related to the actual issue.

I then mentioned separately, that Google Voice is not recommended for use by an elderly person, as they can get upset/confused/scared/frustrated easier than younger people, and Google Voice is more complex than a simple "telephone company" as seniors remember them.  I suggested the use of a basic ITSP instead.

PDX_Mark

This follows standard "Bug reporting etiquette" including how to reproduce the bug.

Just because you can not reproduce the bug does not invalidate my bug report.

I have put here exactly how I (meaning me) can reproduce the bug every time whether the bug is an "idiot light" or actually means something is another issue, as I am not responsible for the internal error codes. If you own a new Ford and the Oil light comes on and you know there is oil in the car is it your fault the oil light comes on? No , it is in fact Ford's issue. In fact Poly specifically allowed my warranty to run out knowing of this issue.

This is the second Obi200 with this issue, not the first. if this is in fact a Google Voice issue (which I do not believe it is) then Poly needs to address it with Google. This does not mean that responses should elude to reliability of Google Voice.

I do not have this issue on obi202 with configuration to Asterisk on same LAN and same LAN segment/subnet.

This issue has now evolved that it now gives this error  after some time, on its own without dialing any specific number which is the problem I had with first Obi200.

PDX_Mark

I had posted another thread where I thought this was related to DNS. I can now see, it is not

I tested today and still get

Call 1   12/26/2021    23:40:52   
23:40:52   From PH1   To SP1(1503765XXX)
23:40:52      Call Ended
Call 2   12/26/2021    23:40:14   
23:40:14   From PH1   To SP1(1503489XXXX)
23:40:14      Call Ended
Call 3   12/26/2021    23:39:45   
23:39:45   From PH1   To SP1(13602385631)
23:39:46      Ringing
23:39:49      Call Ended (603 Decline)

As you can see above (Obi 200 call log) after calling the dead number 13602385631 (SIT TONE then "the number you dialed was rejected by the service provider . reason 603)  the subsequent calls (call 2 and call 1) both failed.  With a SIT tone then " the number you ave dialed XXXXXXXXXX has not received a response from the service provider"  

After a few minutes the line then clears itself in this case.

I now have also tested this from a second Obi200 and a different GV account with exactly the same result.

Lavarock7

Also remember that these suggestions come from community members not from OBI, Polycom nor Google. True many of the members here have very solid backgrounds with the products and services.

I have told people to look at the issues people have in the forums and see that many have to do with interfacing to Google Voice.

I personally tell people that the free GV service is great to play with but I do not rely upon it for things which are important.

I tell them to remember the old joke "Doctor, it hurts when I do this" to which the reply is "Well, don't do that!"

Your mileage *may* differ.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

PDX_Mark

Quote from: Lavarock7 on December 27, 2021, 01:33:56 PM
Also remember that these suggestions come from community members not from OBI, Polycom nor Google. True many of the members here have very solid backgrounds with the products and services.

I have told people to look at the issues people have in the forums and see that many have to do with interfacing to Google Voice.

I personally tell people that the free GV service is great to play with but I do not rely upon it for things which are important.

I tell them to remember the old joke "Doctor, it hurts when I do this" to which the reply is "Well, don't do that!"

Your mileage *may* differ.

I understand your point, but the point of sharing these experiences is to come up with solutions. Back in the early days of VoIP often times it was the community who discovered the solution to a problem , not the provider.

Do not underestimate the power of a strong community. A strong community is how many open source projects are built and refined for example.

So I suppose a post like yours becomes almost pointless given myself and others are looking for a solution for this problem that we have but that not everybody has. Providing such a useless reply does not help to resolve it. In fact much like SteveInWA replies to problem threads. I say both of you abstain from these useless posts that only discourage others from testing, etc.

BTW your doctor sucks for giving that kind of advice.

rob613

I have been getting this bad behavior on an Obi202 as well.
I discovered today that when the GV line on my SP1 gets into this behavior, even calls going out an actual SIP connection to a VoIP provider other than GV also gets only the intercept recording with numeric error codes after a bunch of babble.
The only thing I can do to clear it is to reboot the Obi device, and then after a while, try calling again.

I was trying to reach someone this evening who had a bunch of phone numbers listed.
Several of them are old numbers that have been disconnected, and calling through to them had a strong probability of putting the Obi into this bad mode, in need of a reboot.

PDX_Mark

Quote from: rob613 on January 10, 2022, 08:23:17 PM
I have been getting this bad behavior on an Obi202 as well.
I discovered today that when the GV line on my SP1 gets into this behavior, even calls going out an actual SIP connection to a VoIP provider other than GV also gets only the intercept recording with numeric error codes after a bunch of babble.
The only thing I can do to clear it is to reboot the Obi device, and then after a while, try calling again.

I was trying to reach someone this evening who had a bunch of phone numbers listed.
Several of them are old numbers that have been disconnected, and calling through to them had a strong probability of putting the Obi into this bad mode, in need of a reboot.

Thank you for confirming this. I have identified numbers that seem to cause this as well. Also just last night I called my sisters cell phone and it was dead air. When I redialed her number, I found the ATA / GV in this mode . Also the 1 360 238 5631  number cause my  Obi200 and Obi202 to do this. My Obi202 seems to do it far less on its own it seems.

This also causes incoming GV to FAIL , but Calls to Obi Network 222222222 echo test are successful. It apparently affects the registration to GV

Makes me wonder how do we force the Obi200 to re-register after a call? I think I am going to look  into the registration interval.

JohnHabo

I am also seeing this behavior on a friends OBi200 with Google Voice service. Last year, local calls to the 440 and 513 area codes required 10-digit dialing due to a conflict with a suicide prevention hotline. This change and the fact that the OBi200 was recently reconfigured without the 7-digit dialing option resulted in the occasional dialing of a 7-digit phone number and a "rejected by the service provider; reason 603" message. Subsequent calls returned the "has not received a response from the service provider" message. Incoming calls also didn't connect and were picked up by the Google Voice answering service. Calls dialed using Google Voice in Chrome running on a desktop computer worked. Dialing ***9 (Reboot OBi Device) restored OBi200 operation. Also, it seemed that OBi200 operation recovered after 5 or 10 minutes (not sure on this).

Here is a some call history form the OBi200 with a "(603 Decline) and a subsequent call that responded with the SIT tone and "the number you have dialed XXXXXXXXXX has not received a response from the service provider".

Call 1   04/20/2022    18:47:33   
18:47:33   From PH1   To SP1(+14401234567)
18:47:33      Call Ended
Call 2   04/20/2022    18:47:03   
18:47:03   From PH1   To SP1(1234567)
18:47:04      Ringing
18:47:04      Call Ended (603 Decline)