News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

EOL for OBi 200, 202 and 212

Started by SteveInWA, December 18, 2021, 06:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeShmoe

Quote from: SteveInWA on December 20, 2021, 01:25:48 PM
Your OBiTALK device does now, and still will support any SIP VoIP service provider that provides open SIP credentials. Free? No. Affordable? Yes.

Given the above quote, I'm hoping someone would kindly explain to those a little less savvy why then we'd have to change from Google Voice if our "device does now, and still will support any SIP VoIP service provider that provides open SIP credentials".  Moreover, why wouldn't the potential future need of a Obi2XX firmware upgrade not be an issue for any other service provider you choose to use?

My understanding is that the Obi2XX end-of-life means no future firmware updates which would eventually render the device useless for any service provider at some point.

Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: I just read that Google Voice doesn't support SIP.  Maybe that's the reason.

ceg3

This sounds encouraging. I arrived late to the party, but found the thread. I haven't logged in for likely two years and rarely use my GV setup, but it would be nice to keep it working. If EOL only means no support (none had for many years) but forum will still be available, it sounds as if things might not be that bleak for my OBi200 continuing to work for some time.

drgeoff

[quote author=JoeShmoe link=topic=18992.msg111238#msg111238 date=1642019134
My understanding is that the Obi2XX end-of-life means no future firmware updates which would eventually render the device useless for any service provider at some point.
[/quote]
That is a false inference.  The industry standard SIP specification is a very stable one.  In all the years I've been using ITSPs other than GV, not a single one of them has made any change which required a firmware update to any of my OBis.

SteveInWA

Quote from: JoeShmoe on January 12, 2022, 12:25:34 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on December 20, 2021, 01:25:48 PMYour OBiTALK device does now, and still will support any SIP VoIP service provider that provides open SIP credentials. Free? No. Affordable? Yes.

Edited to add: I just read that Google Voice doesn't support SIP.  Maybe that's the reason.

No, Google Voice uses SIP.  But it does not use conventional SIP credentials (username/password).  It instead authorizes the device to use only the Google Voice service (not full access to your entire Google account), via OAUTH 2.0 secure tokens.

Derrick

Quote from: psuPete on December 21, 2021, 06:49:15 AM
Quote from: MSRobi on December 20, 2021, 05:57:10 PMThere are definitely advantages to old style landline.  I have a base station with 6 handsets throughout the house.  When grandma calls, any of us (wife, 3 kids, 3 cats) can pick it up and talk to her.  Call quality is still better than cell phone, but cell phone quality has noticeably improved in the last few years.

With a cell phone, I invariably leave it downstairs and when it rings, I'm invariably upstairs.

:D :D :D

Consider a base station that also has bluetooth capability.  [The landline of the base station is plugged into the OBi.]  One brand calls it "link-to-cell" --thus when my cellphone or OBi rings, it simultaneously rings all wireless handsets.  Makes life very simple.

I use a blue tooth RF set for that very reason.  However I still needed an ATA for a senior used to her number and a few strategic handsets.  I bought a Magic Jack.  I know I know.  We'll see how it works out.

gary777

Poly is selling the Poly 302 and stating that it works with google voice.  Originally the 302 replaced the obi 202. 
Wonder if this device still work with GV after 2023?

SteveInWA

Quote from: gary777 on August 30, 2022, 09:53:56 AMPoly is selling the Poly 302 and stating that it works with google voice.  Originally the 302 replaced the obi 202. 
Wonder if this device still work with GV after 2023?

This has been explained many times in this forum;next time, read before posting:

• There were two different families of OBiTALK Analog Telephone Adapters; the 2xx seris and the 3xx series.
  • The only significant difference between the two is that the 2xx series included firmware to support Google Voice.  The 3xx series does not.  The 2xx series was intended for sale to anyone; the 3xx series is primarily sold via distributor channels or directly to service providers and carriers.  It is not targeted to consumer sales.
  • The 2xx series has been discontinued.  The 3xx series is a current product with a Poly SKU number.  The 300 series works with the business version of Google Voice for Google Workspace customers (and with any standard SIP VoIP service provider).  It does not work with consumer Google Voice.
  • Google has no plans whatsoever to support any other hardware on consumer Google Voice.

drgeoff

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 30, 2022, 03:05:00 PM.. the 2xx series included firmware to support Google Voice.  The 3xx series does not.
Minor clarification on that.  The 2xx series and 3xx series had exactly the same firmware but the 3xx models somehow did not execute the GV part(s) of it.

From https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0

RFC3261

Quote from: drgeoff on August 31, 2022, 08:07:09 AM
Quote from: SteveInWA on August 30, 2022, 03:05:00 PM.. the 2xx series included firmware to support Google Voice.  The 3xx series does not.
Minor clarification on that.  The 2xx series and 3xx series had exactly the same firmware but the 3xx models somehow did not execute the GV part(s) of it.
While annoying (to some), it is not at all unusual for firmware to evaluate the hardware on which it is installed and enable/disable functionality as appropriate (it is a market segmentation approach).  And while I would prefer that one has the option to enable features (with a fee attached if needed), I do understand that sometimes that is not an approach which works well (as when then the lower cost hardware is provided for low or zero cost via a provider who has chosen to offer the hardware to their customers.  Vendor lock in sucks, except when the alternative is full retail prices).

mgbCN

Quote from: SteveInWA on August 30, 2022, 03:05:00 PMThe 300 series works with the business version of Google Voice for Google Workspace customers (and with any standard SIP VoIP service provider).

SteveInWA - I acknowledge your Google Voice expertise, and ask a question:

Is Google Voice as provided under Google WorkSpace a different beast than Google Voice as provided to consumer accounts?

I have a Google WorkSpace account, but have always used my OBi200 with a consumer Google account.  If it's really only a Google account type difference and not a GV implementation difference, then it seems that I could purchase a 300 series unit and port my Consumer GV number to a new user under my Google Workspace account, and carry on past Dec 18, 2023.  Does that make sense?

Lavarock7

QuoteWhile annoying (to some), it is not at all unusual for firmware to evaluate the hardware on which it is installed and enable/disable functionality as appropriate (it is a market segmentation approach).

HP made calculators. One model (can't remember which) had a business version and a scientific one. The keys were different but other than that, the calculators were the same. You could cut one trace on the motherboard and switch models.

Also, they made a mainframe which booted with their propriatar operating system but could also boot a unix variation. There was a hardware 'fix' to keep you from buying the cheaper unix version and loading the propriatary system.

Some software in the early years checked the date and disabled functions. One could find the assembly code "If less than or equal to" and change it to "If greater than", thus negating date check.

The 3xx series m=ight have used the same code with a check of the hardware address to determine whether it was a 2xx or 3xx model.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

SteveInWA

Quote from: mgbCN on December 10, 2022, 08:01:23 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on August 30, 2022, 03:05:00 PMThe 300 series works with the business version of Google Voice for Google Workspace customers (and with any standard SIP VoIP service provider).

SteveInWA - I acknowledge your Google Voice expertise, and ask a question:

Is Google Voice as provided under Google WorkSpace a different beast than Google Voice as provided to consumer accounts?

I have a Google WorkSpace account, but have always used my OBi200 with a consumer Google account.  If it's really only a Google account type difference and not a GV implementation difference, then it seems that I could purchase a 300 series unit and port my Consumer GV number to a new user under my Google Workspace account, and carry on past Dec 18, 2023.  Does that make sense?

Sorry for the delayed response; I don't visit this forum much anymore.

Your question with regard to the hardware has been asked and answered many times before, but briefly:  The Poly/OBiTALK hardware for the original consumer Google Voice will not work with business Google Voice for Google Workspace, and conversely, the business hardware won't work with consumer Google Voice.

Google Voice for Workspace shares many of the same features and settings and infrastructure with the consumer offering.  In fact, the revenue generated by the business offering helps Google to continue offering the consumer version for mostly-free.  You can learn more about the business features here:

https://workspace.google.com/products/voice/

You can certainly buy an Poly OBi 300, or any of the Poly phone models certified for Workspace Google Voice.  Annoyingly, there is no direct way to transfer a consumer GV number into Workspace GV.  You'd have to first port the consumer GV number out to some other service provider, wait a week, then port it into Workspace GV.

Setting up Poly hardware on Workspace GV is actually much easier than consumer OBiTALK stuff.  You basically enter the phone's or ATA's MAC on a web page and click the submit button.  Everything else is auto-configured.

See:  https://www.poly.com/us/en/solutions/platform/google/works-with-google-voice and
https://support.google.com/a/answer/9250113?hl=en

mgbCN

QuoteSorry for the delayed response; I don't visit this forum much anymore.

Your question with regard to the hardware has been asked and answered many times before, but briefly:  The Poly/OBiTALK hardware for the original consumer Google Voice will not work with business Google Voice for Google Workspace, and conversely, the business hardware won't work with consumer Google Voice.

Google Voice for Workspace shares many of the same features and settings and infrastructure with the consumer offering.  In fact, the revenue generated by the business offering helps Google to continue offering the consumer version for mostly-free.  You can learn more about the business features here:

https://workspace.google.com/products/voice/

You can certainly buy an Poly OBi 300, or any of the Poly phone models certified for Workspace Google Voice.  Annoyingly, there is no direct way to transfer a consumer GV number into Workspace GV.  You'd have to first port the consumer GV number out to some other service provider, wait a week, then port it into Workspace GV.

Setting up Poly hardware on Workspace GV is actually much easier than consumer OBiTALK stuff.  You basically enter the phone's or ATA's MAC on a web page and click the submit button.  Everything else is auto-configured.

See:  https://www.poly.com/us/en/solutions/platform/google/works-with-google-voice and
https://support.google.com/a/answer/9250113?hl=en

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  Your response makes sense, and I will have to consider whether it's worth it to try to port my number over to the GW version of GV in order to keep an ObiTalk device functional on that number.

Cheers!

VoiceOfHamster

Seems the mods don't care anymore.  :'(

JayFC

What about the Obi1022 model as a post 200 series GV option for consumers?

It appears to be GV compatible, and I'm seeing models offered on Amazon for modest prices.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi1032

Taoman

The OBi1xxx and OBi2xxx line of IP phones went EOS last July 31st.

OBI2182-EOS.JPG

SteveInWA

Quote from: JayFC on June 23, 2023, 01:01:33 AMWhat about the Obi1022 model as a post 200 series GV option for consumers?

It appears to be GV compatible, and I'm seeing models offered on Amazon for modest prices.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/products/obi1032

There is no point in buying ANY consumer OBiTALK devices, planning to use them with Google Voice.  They're obsolete, no longer sold nor supported, and they won't be configurable with Google Voice via the OBiTALK portal after December.

Anything you find on Amazon is being sold by scavengers, and will have no warranty and no support.

Dmitry

I am planning to switch to different VoiP/SIP provider and to use my Obi202 with this provider.

I enabled the access to my Obi202 from the local network (obitalk.com will be down after December 2023) in order to provision SIP lines (I know how to do it).

My question is: should I do something in addition to this step? For example, to disable autoprovisioning.

simpleAnswers

Ok, like most of us here, I'm late to the party and have been trying to figure out what my options are. Unfortunately I'm still not clear as to the path forward and would like to get real answers or suggestions.

Please if you're not going to be providing a solution or suggestion then please don't post your unhelpful response

History:
Got a GV number back when it first came out over 11 years ago.
Also Got the the Google Workspace back when it first started for my small business.
When Google Workspace became paid, I transitioned to Google Workspace Started Edition and have been paying for that.
I've been using GV since Day 1 via the consumer edition I believe. Strangely enough I was able to change the GV email to one of the Workspace accounts, but it still remained as a free GV account (i.e consumer version).
I've used the Obi1x and Obi2x and subsequently Obi1032 deskphones which work great.
Because of the good advice here I've worked out that I have a "World between Worlds" GV account.
It is configured in my Google Workspace using one of the users emails, but it is technically still the consumer version. It took me a while to figure that part out.
In other to have full Google Workspace Voice, I would have to port it out of the grandfathered GV into the Google Workspace Voice version.
I have no problem using the Google Workspace Voice devices from Poly
Here is what I found out, That I need to start a "Google Workspace Voice" subscription to be able to do that. Looking at GV sites mentioned here it has to be "Google Voice Standard $20/month" version.

My Question then is
What Poly Devices will work with Workspace Google Voice post EOL because in looking at the page on Google for Voice Devices that work it says "Google Voice supports OBi Edition firmware only. When you purchase Poly desk phones to use with Google Voice, request OBi Edition firmware for the devices." Hence my question as to if any devices will even work with Workspace Google Voice?

If I can't use any deskphones with Workspace Google Voice reliably post EOL, then what are my options to keep my number and use a deskphone from another SIP provider. Can I use any other SIP deskphones and port my GV number to another provider? How easy would that be to setup. I've seen other services mentioned here e.g Callcentric. Does anyone know what steps/how easy it is to set those up with a deskphone?

Thirdly, I like GV primarily because of the ability to receive instant emails of MISSED CALLS, TEXT, and VOICEMAIL transcriptions. Does any other SIP service have these 3 features?

Sorry for the long explanation, but I wanted to be sure before I switch to Workspace GV and buy any more devices

Thanks

Taoman