News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obitalk portal shows OFFLINE in Red

Started by mo832, January 12, 2022, 08:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

I was on a phone call just a few minutes ago, and about 10 minutes into the call, the other party complained that my voice was breaking up. I got him to call again and the problem persisted. I hung up and rebooted my internet connection, confirmed that my streaming speeds were normal, then attempted to dial the obi voice test **9 222 222 222. Got immediate rejection- no service provider. Power cycled the Obi 200 twice, no change.

Then logged into the obitalk portal on the web, and see OFFLINE.

What's the next step? What do I try?

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Taoman

Quote from: mo832 on January 12, 2022, 08:08:13 PM
What's the next step? What do I try?

Can you ping your OBi device? I doubt you'll be able to. If so, you need to find out why your OBi isn't getting an ip address.

What does your OBi's power light look like?
https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/power-light-meanings

mo832

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry it took so long, it seems this forum had connection issues today (was getting bad gateway and 404 errors for hours).

I was able to get it working, but I don't know for sure what the issue was. The fix was to power off my router adapter/extender, then restart the Obi after it should have detected an internet connection. It was more or less normal after that, but the obi web addresses have been slow since last night. Both the forum and the Obitalk dashboard.

Question: since I probably was not getting a true internet connection when it was "offline", what is the procedure to ping the Obi device? I don't remember how I did this years ago, it hasn't been necessary.

What I recall was you would have to pick up the telephone and dial a code for it to read out the IP address. But what if you don't have one or can't find it? Then, how do you ping the Obi?

Taoman

Quote from: mo832 on January 13, 2022, 10:07:27 AM
Question: since I probably was not getting a true internet connection when it was "offline", what is the procedure to ping the Obi device? I don't remember how I did this years ago, it hasn't been necessary.
Depends where the problem was at. If your local network was still working and your PC was on the same subnet as your OBi device you could have potentially pinged it.......assuming your OBi still had an ip address to ping. As a reminder, just get to the command prompt and type "ping OBiaddress." So when I do it......ping 192.168.1.202.

Quote from: mo832What I recall was you would have to pick up the telephone and dial a code for it to read out the IP address. But what if you don't have one or can't find it? Then, how do you ping the Obi?
Yes, you can dial ***1 to get your OBi's ip address. You should also be able to see it on your router.......possibly under LAN status or something similar. If your OBi doesn't have an ip address you obviously can't ping it.
I recommend using a static ip address for your OBi so you don't have to guess what the address is. You can configure that on your OBi or (preferably) your router using the OBi's MAC address. And you really should have a static ip address to access the OBi's built in web interface. Don't you ever look at the Call History on your OBi device?

mo832

Quote from: Taoman on January 13, 2022, 05:04:31 PM
I recommend using a static ip address for your OBi so you don't have to guess what the address is. You can configure that on your OBi or (preferably) your router using the OBi's MAC address. And you really should have a static ip address to access the OBi's built in web interface. Don't you ever look at the Call History on your OBi device?

I don't use a provider that offers static ip addresses. As to Call History, thankfully I've never had a need for it unless there's a little-known feature that I'm not taking advantage of. Years ago, with my now-obsolete Obi100, I vaguely remember looking at the call history for troubleshooting and/or curiosity. I honestly haven't thought about it in several years.

Is there something really useful in there that I should check out?

Also, I've never had a static IP. Is call history not accessible with an assigned IP?

Taoman

Quote from: mo832 on January 14, 2022, 10:23:47 AM

I don't use a provider that offers static ip addresses.
Please reread my post. I never said to have your provider give you a static address for your Internet connection. I said to use a static ip address for your OBi device. This only affects your local private network and has nothing to do with your Internet provider.

Quote from: mo832Also, I've never had a static IP. Is call history not accessible with an assigned IP?
If you haven't wanted to look at your Call History by now there's probably no need to worry about it. I have multiple providers configured on my OBi so it's useful for me.