News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

VOIP.ms setup help and info

Started by dircom, February 16, 2022, 06:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dircom

After 8 years with VestaLink I ported to Voip.ms
received email from voip.ms saying port complete as of yesterday, Using VL SP2, I can still call and be called, although occasionally calling out does not go thru.

I can not call out or receive calls via Voip.ms (SP3)
I used the Obitalk portal to setup voip.ms
I made sub accounts, both are registered to the same server
   also, I can not call form one "extension" or sub account to the other.  The are both registered to the same server.

I have T-mobile home internet.  Goggle Voice & VL work with Tmo internet.

Any ideas of what to check?

Call 3   02/16/2022    09:23:12     
09:23:12   From PH1   To SP3(1xxxxxxxxxx)
09:23:42   Call Ended   

https://www.carrierlookup.com says The number xxxxxxxxxx is a Mobile Phone by bandwidth.com
Not sure if VL or voip.ms uses Bandwith.com... but this was never a mobile #, previous Bell System phone number, then Cox cable, then VL, now attempting to move to voip.ms
TIA

drgeoff

1. Re inbound calls. If by "ported" you mean that the phone number you had with Vestalink should now be with voip.ms then if calls to that number are still coming on the Vestalink SP, surely that indicates that the porting process is not completed as far as all the "routeing tables" in the global phone network are concerned.

2. Re outbound calls.  The final post at http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=19152.msg111454#msg111454 might be relevant.

Taoman

Quote from: dircom on February 16, 2022, 06:15:13 AM
After 8 years with VestaLink I ported to Voip.ms
received email from voip.ms saying port complete as of yesterday, Using VL SP2, I can still call and be called, although occasionally calling out does not go thru.
Since the port just completed my guess some of your problems are related to some routing tables that haven't been updated yet. Just a guess but it should resolve itself over time.

Quote from: dircomI can not call out or receive calls via Voip.ms (SP3)
And that little snippet below is all you see in the OBi call log? There is no error message?
What does your Voip.ms CDR show for those attempted calls and for failing incoming calls.

Quote from: dircomI used the Obitalk portal to setup voip.ms
I made sub accounts, both are registered to the same server
   also, I can not call form one "extension" or sub account to the other.  The are both registered to the same server.
Since you apparently have only one Voip.ms trunk configured on your OBi how are you testing calling between sub accounts? Are you using a softphone for the other registration? If so, are you getting the same results of failed calls with the softphone?

Really need to know what your Voip.ms Call Detail Records say regarding these failed calls.
Click on one of the failed call entries and post what the "Disposition" of the call states.

dircom

I initiated the port request on 2/7, port complete date 2/15
This morning VestaLink still was working, this afternoon received email from VL saying subscription is now expired and dialing out using VL get error msg. I deleted VL on SP2
I deleted voip.ms on SP3
I added a voip.ms on SP2 using the credentials of the sub account I created using obitalk.com portal
Obi says registered

2 Obi's are configured and connected.  I think I should be able to dial 10xx and reach the other Obi (extension), but that doesn't work either -- they are both registered to the same server.
If fact is I dial 10xx after many seconds it tries to dial a number in my Google Contacts xxx-xxx-10xx
which is really weird... but that call ultimately fails also

I noticed all the call detail records are under the main account.  Nothing under the sub-accounts.
Is this part of the problem?

voip.ms
Outgoing calls   No data available in your CDR

All inbound calls say NO ANSWER
Duration in seconds 0

I created a ring group to ring the Obi and 2182 at my home,
Default Did Routing - I selected Ring Group with the correct Ring Group

just noticed,  the main account # xxxxx No registration found  -- is that a problem, the 200 and 2182 are registered with sub accounts....

Taoman

You have a lot going on with multiple OBi devices and a ring group. Makes it tougher to troubleshoot.

Yes, you should be able to dial 10xx and ring another extension. But you can't dial out at all apparently even though you are registering successfully. I find it very strange that no outbound calls are showing up in the CDR. That means outbound calls aren't even making it to voip.ms. What do you hear on the phone when making an outbound call? The OBi call history never says "Ringing" for outbound calls yet it takes over 30 seconds before the call ends with no error message. What is happening during those 30 seconds?

There is only one CDR so that's not a problem.

Voip.ms recommends you don't register to the main account due to potential security issues. Use sub accounts.

I have no easy answers. Perhaps someone else does. If it was me, I would download a simple softphone like Phonerlite and configure it for voip.ms on your computer. If inbound/outbound calls work then chances are good the problem is with your OBi's configuration. Just route your DID directly to one extension. Don't use a ring group while troubleshooting. Get something working and build on that.

dircom

My number port is complete, echo test works, if I configure failover to my cell phone I get a call on my cell phone.
Other than that, can't be called, can't call out while trying to use Phonerlite or thru Obi 200(connected thru a switch) or Polycom 2182 (connected via wifi)
and unable to call extensions
Vestalink worked fine, GV still working
Wondering if T-Mobile home internet GATEWAY is blocking some port that Voip.ms uses that the other two don't?
Tech support for TMO is in the Philippines, and you'd be better off calling Taco Bell to get an answer to a question.
everything is registered, limited did to one device, or phonerlite, no luck
I used the Obi dashboard to add voip.ms

OK, got Phonerlite to work changing the network from UDP to TCP

on the Obi, I changed ProxyServerTransport to TCP
Where is that in the expert dashboard, voip.ms said, enable NAT Keep alive, send every 50 seconds, define register expire time to 300 seconds, change sip to TCP

Taoman

Quote from: dircom on February 18, 2022, 11:38:36 AM

Wondering if T-Mobile home internet GATEWAY is blocking some port that Voip.ms uses that the other two don't?

Somehow I overlooked your ISP was a T-Mobile gateway. That is almost certainly the problem......especially considering Phonerlite won't work either.

If you do a Google search you'll find a lot of comments about T-Mobile blocking ports. Does your T-Mobile gateway have the ability to use a DMZ or forward ports? I read a post that said although the configuration appears for that it apparently doesn't actually work.

One thing you could try is deleting the Voip.ms config on one of your devices and then remaking it using a "Service Provider Proxy Server Port" of 42872. You could also try using TCP as the transport or using encryption via TLS. I use TLS on port 5061.*
https://wiki.voip.ms/article/FAQ#Do_you_offer_alternative_ports_besides_5060.2F5061.3F

*Note: if using TLS you have to configure your OBi and change settings at Voip.ms.

Taoman

Quote from: dircom on February 18, 2022, 11:38:36 AM

OK, got Phonerlite to work changing the network from UDP to TCP

on the Obi, I changed ProxyServerTransport to TCP
Where is that in the expert dashboard, voip.ms said, enable NAT Keep alive, send every 50 seconds, define register expire time to 300 seconds, change sip to TCP

Just saw you edited your post while I was typing. Change transport protocol at:
Service Providers-->ITSP Profile X SIP-->ProxyServerTransport

dircom

Yes, I did get Phonerlite to work by just by changing UDP to TCP in PhonerLite
Thanks for that suggestion!

so, I'm thinking the problem is not with T-Mobile?

Under ITSP Profile _ SIP I changed ProxyServerTransport and X_OutboundProxyTransport to SIP
but still CBC, Cant call out on obi 200 and polycom 2182

tech support also wanted me to

dircom

Yes, I did get Phonerlite to work by just by changing UDP to TCP in PhonerLite
(oops only outbound calls work)
Thanks for that suggestion!

but still CBC, Cant call out on obi 200 and polycom 2182

tech support also wanted me to
enable NAT Keep alive                                  --- under Voice Services would that be X_KeepAliveEnable?
, send every 50 seconds                              --- I dont see that one
define register expire time to 300 seconds    ----   under VOICE SERVICES would that be X_KeepAliveExpires ?
changed sip to TCP  ---  ITSP Profile _ SIP  ---- ProxyServerTransport and X_OutboundProxyTransport to SIP

Taoman

X_KeepAliveEnable: checked
X_KeepAliveExpires: 50

Under Service Providers-->ITSP Profile X SIP-->
RegistrationPeriod: 300

Note: I doubt any of the above will help. I still believe your T-Mobile gateway is blocking ports.

See if this change makes any difference for incoming calls using Phonerlite:

Configuration tab-->Server tab-->Proxy/Registrar field:
servername.voip.ms:42872

dircom

servername.voip.ms:42872
Did not enable PhonerLite to receive calls, outgoing still ok...
Failover to cell phone still working

Taoman

I'm running out of ideas.

Navigate to whatsmyip.com. Does it show you have a Public IPv6 address or does it say "Not detected?"

Is there any chance you could take one of your OBi devices to a neighbor, friend, or relative's house and try it with their ISP? If it works there it pretty much confirms the problem is with your T-Mobile home internet gateway.

Are there any T-Mobile home internet forums where you could post questions?

dircom

Because it worked with GV & Vestalink, I was thinking it was a config issue, so I ignored the easiest thing to do.

Took the 2182 across the street to a neighbor with Cox Cable internet. Plugged into ethernet -all providers A-ok, including voip.ms
Thanks for reminding me to do that Taoman!  Being a former FIOS support person, I'm a little embarrassed that I skipped that obvious step.

I finally used Twitter for TMO help and got a US agent.  She said she would send a ticket to the engineers.
thanks for all the suggestions!

Taoman

I just about said to try TLS but since Phonesimon from DSLR (a very smart guy) says it will work with your T-Mobile gateway I would definitely give it a try.

Here are changes needed for OBi devices:
https://wiki.voip.ms/article/OBi_100/110_%26_OBi_200#Configuring_a_Voice_line_using_TLS

Here are changes to make on Voip.ms account:
https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Call_Encryption_-_TLS/SRTP

dircom

It's alive!  I can now make and receive calls on both devices, and call extensions.
THANKS for sticking with this Taoman....   What do you think is different with Cox Cable that lets it work using standard Obi config for voip.ms  vs Tmobile Internet?   Also, for bonus points, are there settings for PhonerLite?

Taoman

Quote from: dircom on February 22, 2022, 06:42:38 AM
What do you think is different with Cox Cable that lets it work using standard Obi config for voip.ms  vs Tmobile Internet?   Also, for bonus points, are there settings for PhonerLite?

According to Phonesimon, T-Mobile gateway uses a proprietary NAT called 464XLAT which clearly Cox Cable does not use. Using TLS bypasses the NAT issues. Google Voice also uses SIP over TLS although it's proprietary. Not sure why Vestalink worked for you.

I couldn't get PhonerLite to work using TLS. It's a simple program and doesn't have a separate field for proxy server port. Appending port 42872 to proxy server name worked but doesn't seem to work with port 5061 for TLS. All I did was make a new sub account not using TLS and I was good to go. Obviously, that won't work for you.

As an alternative softphone, download Microsip Lite. It works with Voip.ms using TLS. When you first install it there will be a donation page but you can just ignore it. But if you actually end up using it I would suggest donating the $5.
After installation, follow the directions from the link below:
https://wiki.voip.ms/article/Microsip

dircom

re: Vestalink -- I did have to change Service provider server port and outbound proxy server port from 5060 to 8891, although I can't remember if I was still on Cox Cable when I did that.
Thanks again.