News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Will Google's new restrictions on 3rd pary apps affect Obitalk?

Started by excel4x, March 05, 2022, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

excel4x

I recently received an email from Google:

"On May 30, you may lose access to apps that are using less secure sign-in technology

To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password. Instead, you'll need to sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0. Learn more"

The email references this page:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?rfn=1646361360139&anexp=nret-fa&pli=1

Although the Google warning seemed to be referring to email access, when I checked the security settings, Google also flagged Obitalk as a 3rd party app with access to the account. Obitalk is listed in two areas - one with reference to Google Hangouts, and one under "Google Account sign-in prompts".

I have two questions:
1. Will Google's security changes affect how Obitalk works with Google Voice?
2. If so, is there a way to continue usine Google Voice with Obitalk after May 30th, 2022?

Thanks!

drgeoff

Google already made OAuth 2.0 necessary for GV on OBi devices years ago. That is one of the reasons why GV cannot be configured on an OBi running official firmware without using the Obitalk portal.

excel4x

Great news - thanks for the info!

Does Obitalk need Google Hangouts? e.g. If I turn that off or if Google removes Hangouts will that mess up Obitalk?

drgeoff

Quote from: excel4x on March 07, 2022, 07:16:47 PM
Great news - thanks for the info!

Does Obitalk need Google Hangouts? e.g. If I turn that off or if Google removes Hangouts will that mess up Obitalk?
No.