News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Arrggh! Why won't it work?

Started by ArgghWhyWontItWork, March 30, 2022, 11:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArgghWhyWontItWork

Try going to the URL: The requested URL was not found!

Try going to the Obitalk site and never-ending tries before giving up. Echo test fine, claims there is no firmware update there, so it's getting through to the server, but it won't register.

Can't use it. Any options? I tried resetting.

drgeoff

Arrggh! Why do posters think potential helpers here are mind readers or have working crystal balls?

ArgghWhyWontItWork

Can you at least try to provide any step to move anywhere from this point?

ArgghWhyWontItWork

OK. Figured out why I got the requested URL can't be found - it's because I was using it from elsewhere on the LAN, computer plugged into the same router but not into the back of the Obi. Now I did that. Going to next troubleshooting step of making DNS server 4.2.2.2.

... and no better. Any thoughts? Any ideas? Any other posts or threads that might work?

drgeoff

Quote from: ArgghWhyWontItWork on May 17, 2022, 01:44:31 PMOK. Figured out why I got the requested URL can't be found - it's because I was using it from elsewhere on the LAN, computer plugged into the same router but not into the back of the Obi. Now I did that. Going to next troubleshooting step of making DNS server 4.2.2.2.

... and no better. Any thoughts? Any ideas? Any other posts or threads that might work?
The only bit of new info you have indirectly provided is that your OBi is a 202 or a 212 or a 302 or a 312.  Those are the only models that have two ethernet jacks.

All of those four models contain a router.  That can be configured into bridge mode but it defaults to being in router mode with the INTERNET port being connected to a LAN port on your main router and getting an IP address by DHCP from that router.  The OBi's LAN port is on a separate network with a static 10.0.0.1 address.  The OBi has its own DHCP server on that network which can allocate IP parameters to device(s) connected to that LAN port.

Also by default the onboard webserver is not accessible from the INTERNET port, only from the LAN port.

By current standards the router is slow and not particularly useful in most situations so most people do not connect anything to the LAN port.  Connect the OBi's INTERNET port to a LAN port on your router and connect your computer to another LAN port on your router.

The next step is to do the echo test by dialling **9 222 222 222 on a phone plugged in to either of the OBi's two phone jacks.  You should hear a man saying "Welcome to Obitalk and ....".  If that does not work do a reset of the OBi by dialling ***8 and following the spoken prompts.

If you cannot successfully complete the echo test, report back here stating exactly what happens when you dial **9 222 222 222.

Assuming success with the echo test you can proceed to adding the OBi to your account at obitalk.com.  Follow the instructions on the dashboard which will include the dialling of **5 followed by a 4 digit number that the portal page will provide to you.

Many people can do all the configuration they need using the portal and never need to use the local onboard web server.  If you really do want to you can enable access to it by following the instructions at the bottom of page 30 of the Admin guide (https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf).  Note that while you can read all of the configuration settings using the local web server, almost all changes you make that way will sooner or later be reverted to the settings determined by the portal at obitalk.com UNLESS you disable 'Obitalk Provisioning'. See pages 84 and 87 of the Admin Guide.  Make configuration changes one way or the other - do not attempt to mix them.

ArgghWhyWontItWork

Thank you for the updates.

Eventually I contacted Support and they confirmed the issue, updated the firmware, I tried again, it still did not work, and they magically made it work, so all is well now.

These devices do sell for a fairly high price given the age of the technology inside, so it is nice to see that some of that price does indeed go into support.