News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Devices with very old firmware will no longer be able to connect.

Started by OBiSupport, June 03, 2022, 10:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OBiSupport

June 2nd, 2022 *** Important notice to OBiTALK customers***

On June 7th, 2022 We will start upgrading the security settings of our servers.
The most recent firmware can be downloaded here. The last four digits of your firmware version (aka build number) must be greater than 4464 to continue to connect.

drgeoff

The latest available firmware for OBi100 and OBi110 is 2886 which is clearly less then 4464.  So it looks like those models will only be configurable by using the local onboard web server interface.

But what exactly does "no longer be able to connect" mean?  Is it curtains for calls to and from OBi1x0 devices over the Obitalk network?  (**9 calls).

vtsnaab

On our Obi200 using ***6 brings update not available.

Is there a star code for getting the current value - and if needed, must the f/w be updated manually ??

Thanks.

azrobert

Quote from: drgeoff on June 03, 2022, 11:46:35 AMIs it curtains for calls to and from OBi1x0 devices over the Obitalk network?  (**9 calls).

Do you route outbound calls over the OBiTalk network from an OBi1xx to a service provider defined on another OBi? FYI, you can do the same using a Callcentric free account.

bluechip

Localphone is the best value as an alternative to Google Voice!
I've been using Localphone with an OBi200 since 2019.
I'm also using Localphone with a CISCO SPA122.
Everything works! I am a very happy customer.
My Outgoing Calls: 800 minutes/month = $1.60
My Phone Number = $0.99/month
My Incoming Calls: Unlimited
My Total Cost/Month = $2.59/month
There are NO taxes.
I think you'll like it too.

You can use this Discount Link to sign up,
http://www.localphone.com/?rb=g-ETNf1B4i76gTsjj-iP3fQIYAZUfCRTcvkGVW5UAN8

azrobert

Quote from: bluechip on June 04, 2022, 08:32:49 AMLocalphone is the best value as an alternative to Google Voice!

Does this include Caller Name on inboound calls?

bluechip

For Caller ID, I use a Callcentric DID telephone number. My cost for that is $1.09/month, which includes the tax.

So my Total Cost is $3.68/month.

Localphone (unlimited incoming + 800 minutes/month outgoing + phone number) + Callcentric (unlimited incoming + phone number) = $1.60 + $0.99 + $1.09 = $3.68/month

I've been using this setup for several years, with both an OBi200 and a CISCO SPA122. Every thing works great. And it works reliably. What I like most is that I no longer need to worry about Google making a change, and then hope that Polycom will make a corresponding update fix.

In my opinion, Localphone is the Best Value in VOIP service providers.

ablinkin

Looks like my Obi200 is trash.  I see no place online to update the firmware and doing ***1 gets no IP address for a local webpage. We only use it to ring a pair of Uniden wireless phones on a Google Voice line so I guess "oh well".  Seems this is how my Obi110 was sent to the garbage can a few years ago when it was no longer supported. 

drgeoff

Quote from: ablinkin on June 09, 2022, 08:10:30 PMLooks like my Obi200 is trash.  I see no place online to update the firmware and doing ***1 gets no IP address for a local webpage. We only use it to ring a pair of Uniden wireless phones on a Google Voice line so I guess "oh well".  Seems this is how my Obi110 was sent to the garbage can a few years ago when it was no longer supported.
1. If your OBi200 is currently working OK with GV it certainly has an IP address.

2. If any OBi is currently working OK with GV then its firmware is certainly newer than 4464 and will not be impacted by the server security upgrade.

rjniles

Quote from: bluechip on June 04, 2022, 08:32:49 AMLocalphone is the best value as an alternative to Google Voice!
I've been using Localphone with an OBi200 since 2019.
I'm also using Localphone with a CISCO SPA122.
Everything works! I am a very happy customer.
My Outgoing Calls: 800 minutes/month = $1.60
My Incoming Calls: Unlimited
My Total Cost/Month = $2.59/month
There are NO taxes.
I think you'll like it too.

Does Localphone  allow port in of an existing local number?

ablinkin

Quote from: drgeoff on June 10, 2022, 12:27:46 AM
Quote from: ablinkin on June 09, 2022, 08:10:30 PMLooks like my Obi200 is trash.  I see no place online to update the firmware and doing ***1 gets no IP address for a local webpage. We only use it to ring a pair of Uniden wireless phones on a Google Voice line so I guess "oh well".  Seems this is how my Obi110 was sent to the garbage can a few years ago when it was no longer supported.
1. If your OBi200 is currently working OK with GV it certainly has an IP address.

2. If any OBi is currently working OK with GV then its firmware is certainly newer than 4464 and will not be impacted by the server security upgrade.

It quit working with GV several days ago.  Dialing ***1 get the message "No IP address available".  I see no way to upgrade the firmware without an IP address. 

drgeoff

Quote from: ablinkin on June 10, 2022, 08:25:17 PM

It quit working with GV several days ago.  Dialing ***1 get the message "No IP address available".  I see no way to upgrade the firmware without an IP address.
1. There has been no new firmware released in 2022. If your OBi200 was working with GV until a few days ago then it does not need a firmware update. IIRC the most recent firmware is the only one which works with GV.

2. That your OBi200 is not working now has some other cause. "No IP address" is a matter purely between the OBi and your router and is unaffected by anything in the public internet or the Obihai servers. Check that the ethernet cable between OBi and router is properly plugged in at both ends. Try a different cable. Try a different LAN socket on the router. Reboot the router, ie disconnect its power for 30 seconds. Wait 2 minutes then disconnect the OBi's power for 30 seconds.

Lavarock7

Quote from: drgeoff on June 11, 2022, 01:10:32 AM

1. There has been no new firmware released in 2022. If your OBi200 was working with GV until a few days ago then it does not need a firmware update. IIRC the most recent firmware is the only one which works with GV.

2. That your OBi200 is not working now has some other cause. "No IP address" is a matter purely between the OBi and your router and is unaffected by anything in the public internet or the Obihai servers. Check that the ethernet cable between OBi and router is properly plugged in at both ends. Try a different cable. Try a different LAN socket on the router. Reboot the router, ie disconnect its power for 30 seconds. Wait 2 minutes then disconnect the OBi's power for 30 seconds.

I agree, are you sure that your router is issuing an IP address? If this was a 202 I would say that you are plugged into the LAN port not the INTERNET port.

A corner case would be if you are somewhat tech-savvy and had hard-codced the IP address of the device and some other device grabbed that IP address first; but as I say, that would be a very unlikely situation.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

ablinkin

Quote from: drgeoff on June 11, 2022, 01:10:32 AM

ihai servers. Check that the ethernet cable between OBi and router is properly plugged in at both ends. Try a different cable. Try a different LAN socket on the router. Reboot the router, ie disconnect its power for 30 seconds. Wait 2 minutes then disconnect the OBi's power for 30 seconds.
[/quote]

Thank you!!!  Obi200 is back online! 

We use a wireless access point to get ethernet for the Obi.  Though it seemed OK I just went ahead and rebooted everything.  It took a couple of tries for the Obi to reconnect but finally did. Our router does not have an ethernet port on it. Our ISP is Starlink and why they didn't provide that port on the latest version I don't know. They offered an ethernet expansion box later on which we just received recently I just haven't been in a hurry to hook it up because Obi was working fine and is the only device requiring ethernet. 

Again thank you for the advice and the info!

HDFLucky

Quote from: OBiSupport on June 03, 2022, 10:13:10 AMJune 2nd, 2022 *** Important notice to OBiTALK customers***

On June 7th, 2022 We will start upgrading the security settings of our servers.
The most recent firmware can be downloaded here. The last four digits of your firmware version (aka build number) must be greater than 4464 to continue to connect.
Returned home from vacation and discovered my OBi202 was no longer working (not connected). Following the update instructions, I downloaded the latest firmware and enabled WAN access via "***0". Note that I had dial tone but no functionality at this point. I then proceeded with the update, which went smoothly (completed in < 3 minutes). The OBi now shows Registered status on the configured SPs, and indicator lights are normal. BUT... I now have no dial tone! Rebooted, but no change. I thought maybe the update had glitched, so thought I'd try to reapply it. Apparently it went ok though because I now receive the message "Previous version identical to the update. Firmware not modified."

Suggestions?

Taoman

Quote from: HDFLucky on June 16, 2022, 05:45:52 AMSuggestions?

Have you tried a different phone and/or phone cord?

Have you checked your Phone Port status? Here is a pic of mine.PPstatus.JPG

HDFLucky

Quote from: Taoman on June 16, 2022, 10:35:58 AMHave you tried a different phone and/or phone cord?
Yes, I tried both but as expected, no change. HOWEVER... I discovered that I can receive incoming calls with normal volume both ways. Still no DT or ability to place outgoing calls though.

Here's my Port Status:
Pstatus.PNG

drgeoff

1. Is there no dial tone on both PH1 and PH2 sockets?

2. Taking a phone off-hook should cause the respective LED to start flashing. Also the Status screen you have posted should show off-hook, the LoopCurrent to become non-zero and the TipRingVoltage to be a much lower value.  Do these things happen?

3.  Have you tried a resetting the OBi?  You will need to reconfigure your Service Providers but even before doing that it should give dial tone and be able to reach the echo test on **9 222 222 222.  (Dial tone is generated entirely within the OBi.  A non-faulty Obi should always give dial tone even when the ethernet cable or Wi-Fi dongle is unplugged.)

drgeoff

It would appear that the warning by Obihai Support that "Devices with very old firmware will no longer be able to connect." is insufficiently clear about what "connect" means.

It means "connect to the Obihai server(s)".  That is necessary to enable configuration of an OBi using the dashboard at obitalk.com and possibly necessary to call and be called using the obitalk network ie **9 calls.  An OBi does NOT connect to Obihai server(s) when making or receiving calls using GV or other ITSPs.

If your OBi has recently been working OK but now cannot make and/or receive calls, this is NOT caused by the security updates that Obihai is doing.  The changes do NOT affect your OBi's ability to connect to the ITSP's servers (other than **9 obitalk) to make and receive calls as normal.

HDFLucky

Quote from: drgeoff on June 16, 2022, 02:06:32 PM1. Is there no dial tone on both PH1 and PH2 sockets?

2. Taking a phone off-hook should cause the respective LED to start flashing. Also the Status screen you have posted should show off-hook, the LoopCurrent to become non-zero and the TipRingVoltage to be a much lower value.  Do these things happen?

3.  Have you tried a resetting the OBi?

ANSWERS:
1. Correct, NDT on both PH1 and PH2.

2. The respective LEDs do indeed start flashing when off hook. However, refreshing the Status screen results in an "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" error (using Chrome), so I can't verify tip/ring voltage unless I get in there with a voltmeter.

3. I hope it won't come to resetting the OBi! I have many customizations, several of which are probably not backed up, since they happened around the time I was busy moving.

RE your subsequent comment, "If your OBi has recently been working OK but now cannot make and/or receive calls, this is NOT caused by the security updates that Obihai is doing." It has, and I agree that it is unrelated to Obihai's back-end security updates. This is caused by the firmware update. Everything was working perfectly prior to my vacation. After returning home and discovering the security update had been implemented, I had local DT but couldn't connect. Since updating the firmware, I'm showing Registered status on all 3 ITSPs I'm using but have no dial tone. This is not the first time Obihai has updated firmware. I would expect it to be be a seamless procedure by now. I downloaded the correct firmware, updated it as per their instructions, and started the update (verifying there were no calls in progress at the time). It went exactly as the instructions said and within the time frame stated, but now it's broken.

Since I can't reload the same firmware version, are there older versions available that I could downgrade to and then try the update again?