News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call Waiting with GV/CC Setup - OBI202

Started by leibtek, June 14, 2022, 02:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leibtek

Hi All,

I have the Google Voice/Call Centric setup (to get CNAM) on my Obi202 (https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.240).

SP1=GV - IN=PH1 OUT-PH1
SP2=GV(2) - IN-PH2 OUT-PH2
SP3=CC - IN-PH1 OUT-NONE

I'm having an issue with Call Waiting.
If Call1 on PH1 was initiated from PH1 (outgoing call), then any incoming Call Waiting attempts go straight to Voicemail.
If Call1 on PH1 was initiated from the outside (incoming call), then the call comes through (as Call2), however, after exactly 3 minutes, regardless if Call2 is still connected, both Call1 and Call2 are disconnected.

This behavior is only on PH1, PH2 (SP2) which is a GV only line, works as expected.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks.

drgeoff

I don't quite understand how you have everything configured but if you have a GV number forwarding to Callcentric and thence to your OBi then you should remove the OBi from the devices to ring in your settings at voice.google.com. (This does not affect the ability to make outbound GV calls.)

leibtek

Thanks.

Yes, I already have it set up that way. The call forwarding works well, it's when another call comes in that I'm having issues with (Call Waiting)

leibtek

Let me explain myself a little better.

The GV and CC setup works good for incoming and outgoing calls. The problem I'm having is when I'm on a call, and another incoming call tries to connect via Call Waiting. If I was on an incoming call, then the new and 2nd incoming call would connect, but will disconnect both calls after 3 minutes. If I was on an outgoing call, then the new incoming call doesn't connect at all, instead goes to GV's VM.

Thanks again.

drgeoff

Quote from: leibtek on June 16, 2022, 05:32:19 AMLet me explain myself a little better.

The GV and CC setup works good for incoming and outgoing calls. The problem I'm having is when I'm on a call, and another incoming call tries to connect via Call Waiting. If I was on an incoming call, then the new and 2nd incoming call would connect, but will disconnect both calls after 3 minutes. If I was on an outgoing call, then the new incoming call doesn't connect at all, instead goes to GV's VM.

Thanks again.
If you are properly configured as I mentioned above then your OBi does not directly "see" incoming GV calls.  It is Callcentric that receives them.  I assume you have incoming on both GV numbers forwarded to the same one CC number.

leibtek

Thanks drgeoff!

Correct, all incoming calls are from CC on PH1 as GV forwards to CC.
No, the second GV account is not forwarded to CC, and does receive incoming calls on PH2.

You're suggesting that it sounds like a CC issue, which makes sense, but I don't know where to look at.

Thanks.

leibtek

Is it possible, at least for when the new incoming call goes straight to VM, due to the fact that I was on an outgoing call, since the outgoing call goes through SP1 (GV) and is active, and the new incoming call is coming in on SP3 (being forwarded to CC)?

drgeoff

Your In and OUT terminology is non-standard and unclear.

On an OBi202, Voice Services are SP1 through SP4 and the two phone jacks are PH1 and PH2.

Please correct/expand the following to reflect what you have configured.

For PH1 the Primary Line is SP1.  SP1 is configured for GV1.  GV1 is configured to only forward incoming calls to your Callcentric (CC) number.  GV1 does not send incoming calls to the OBi.

For PH2 the Primary Line is SP2.  SP2 is configured for GV2.  GV2 is configured to send calls only to the OBi's SP2.  SP2 is configured for incoming calls to ring PH2.

SP3 is configured for CC.  SP3 is configured for incoming calls to ring PH1.

leibtek

Thanks, and that is exactly how I have it.

Sorry for the confusion.

SteveInWA

It is working exactly as designed, which is only under these conditions:
  • You must be forwarding to, and answering on, a PSTN telephone number, not to the Web, Android, iOS or OBiTALK SIP clients.
  • The calls must both be inbound.  Google Voice call waiting/3-way calling doesn't work for outbound calls.  It can't, since you'd be making the outbound call via your Google Voice SP1 service, but the inbound call is being forwarded through Callcentric or some other PSTN line. Neither Google Voice nor Callcentric could put one call on hold to handle the other call on the same service, which would be how carrier call waiting works. It's not being managed locally on the ATA.
  • The feature is intended to be used such that you put the first party on hold briefly, while you answer the incoming call.  Nobody wants to be put on hold for more than 3 minutes, nor do you want to leave that call in an off-hook condition indefinitely.  The on-hold call will disconnect at the three-minute mark.

leibtek

Thanks Steve!

That was very helpful.

QuoteThe feature is intended to be used such that you put the first party on hold briefly, while you answer the incoming call.  Nobody wants to be put on hold for more than 3 minutes, nor do you want to leave that call in an off-hook condition indefinitely.  The on-hold call will disconnect at the three-minute mark.

Agree, but the problem is, that even after I come back to the first party and the second party has long since hung up, where the first party was only briefly on hold as you described, the call still disconnects after 3 minutes.
It's as if a 3 minute disconnect timer comes on the minute a Call Waiting call is answered, and nothing can stop it.

Thanks!

SteveInWA

Interesting.  I'd suggest this test to try to isolate it as either a general Google Voice problem, or an OBi-specific problem:

Instead of using Google Voice, have caller #1 call you on your Callcentric phone number.  Answer the call on your OBi-attached phone.  Have caller #2 call you on the same number.  Put #1 on hold, talk briefly with #2, have #2 hang up, and see what happens when you return to caller #1.

leibtek

Steve,

That scenario works fine, and doesn't hang up after 3 minutes.

Thanks!

SteveInWA

I tested this two ways:

Without using any OBiTALK devices, I used three mobile phone numbers.  I called my Google Voice number from a PSTN number and Google Voice forwarded it to mobile phone #1 and I answered the call.  I then called the GV number from mobile #2, got the call waiting notification, and switched to the second call, which worked.  I then hung up mobile #2, and the call returned to GV<-->mobile #1.  I let the call continue for 5 minutes, and it didn't disconnect.

I called my GV number from mobile #1 and answered it on a OBi 2182.  I then called the GV number from mobile #2.  The OBi 2182 displayed options to answer the second call, which I did.  I then hung up mobile #2, and the 2182 displayed the option to return to the first call, which I did.  That call continued for at least 5 minutes without disconnecting.

I have to conclude that this is some sort of inconsistent OBiTALK firmware issue with regard to Google Voice, and as you can guess, it is highly unlikely that Poly would fix it.