News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Selected Time call blocking

Started by alexalla, April 10, 2018, 06:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexalla

As of lately, more and more spammers have been calling me. They change their numbers frequently, so it's almost no use blocking them. Now they call me in the middle of the night! Yet I can't turn off my phone for the night, because I have elderly relatives who may need my help at any hour. Unless this feature is already available, it would be great to have it: allow only trusted numbers to call you any time, and all the rest should be able to call you between, say, 9 AM and 8 PM.
Simple blanket blocking will limit my options. Because I still want someone good, who previously never called me, to be able to reach me. But only during the "day" hours, not at night. And then I'll deal with the *86, separately.

GPz1100

I don't think you can do this directly through google.  You can set up a callcentric free did and add specific numbers to a white list which will ring the obi at any time, while others will be sent to voice mail. You'd create a specific call treatment for this.

Elviranelson

I just want to know that Can I automatically block phone calls at specific times?

psuPete

I've done this too, though I think there is now a mininum $1/month CallCentric DID charge which was previously $0.

Pete

drgeoff

Quote from: Elviranelson on September 28, 2022, 02:13:25 AMI just want to know that Can I automatically block phone calls at specific times?
The OBi ATAs and IP phones have no way to modify inbound or outbound call handling depending on time of day or day of week.

Your Internet Service Telephony Provider may provide such facilities.

Or you can install and configure a VoIP PBX such as Asterisk or FreePBX.  However that is a non-trivial thing to do and outside the scope of this forum

Lavarock7

If it was me, I would buy a new number with a company like Voip.Ms (40 cents onetime charge to get a number and 80 cents a month base rate on the pay per minute plan).

I'd set up my white list and/or time of day filter and/or set up an Attendant "Press 1 to".

Then I'd add the new account to my Obi (or Obi phone) to receive all calls. I would be paying perhaps a cent per minute for any calls that I received, but could still use GoogleVoice for free outbound calls.

I would then forward the GV number to the new number.

It is slightly more work to set this up but can eliminate lots of bogus calls.

A setup might be:

A call comes in and the whitelist is checked. If the number is allowed, then ring the phone.
Then if the caller is NOT in the white list, the time of day is checked. If daytime, pass the call through to the phone. Otherwise send it to voicemail.

That way you automatically 24 hours a day get calls from certain people, then the rest are only allowed during the day because they might be a doctors office, etc.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com