News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV Outbound Calls After EOL

Started by azrobert, May 27, 2022, 07:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azrobert

Quote from: Taoman on November 03, 2022, 05:55:59 AMCan't seem to break it.

If you have the Bookmark Bar enabled and have GV warning "Your browser might prevent calls from ringing" do this:
Reduce the width of the window until the warning message expands to 3 lines. Keep the window height at max. The script will now fail. Adding "&parm4=100" will fix this.

Zoom 250% will also cause the script to fail.

AHK will not detect a window title when there is a 2nd tab and it's active. In this scenario the script will open another GV window and complete the call. I haven't researched why it doesn't detect the window.

Taoman

Quote from: azrobertIf you have the Bookmark Bar enabled and have GV warning "Your browser might prevent calls from ringing" do this:
Reduce the width of the window until the warning message expands to 3 lines. Keep the window height at max. The script will now fail. Adding "&parm4=100" will fix this.
I've always had the Bookmark Bar enabled but have never seen that error/warning message before. But I take your point about how parm4 would be used.

PS.
From the time I dial the number and then hear the dial tone it takes 6.5 seconds until my Callcentric extension starts ringing. Pretty damn fast.

azrobert

I have an updated GV_Server and have a new version.

I made a change in Chrome settings and the script started failing, so I fixed the code again. I also created a more stable version 2. The old script repositions the cursor, so it takes 1 tab to the outbound number field and then enters the number. I explained in a previous post why this target area changes based on different settings.

The new version takes a different approach. It enters the full GV URL which contains the outbound number. Selecting the Forwarding Number is the only thing left for the script to do. This is basically the same as the old script when it doesn't find a GV window. I originally didn't use this method because it takes about 2 seconds longer to receive the callback.

If the old script works, you can continue using it. If it doesn't work, try the new V2. The updated old version and the instructions are found at the link below. The OBi forum only allows 4 attachments per post, so I attached the new GV_Server_V2 here.

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?msg=112105

Taoman

Very cool.
FYI: the ahk script works fine for me but the exe does nothing. It executes and I can see that it loaded (alongside my personal ahk script) but when I make a call nothing happens.*
Edit: so while I was writing this post I still had the exe loaded. I just now exited the exe and loaded the new ahk script and the script immediately started completing the call I had tried to make with the exe. It completed the call with no issues.

Also, how hard would it be to just hardcode in my forwarding number or is that even possible? The more I think about I'm guessing it's not possible......

* I compiled the working version 2 ahk script but still no joy with the exe.

PS. Nice touch.
Quoteif (Winfound != "Y")
   WinClose, Voice

azrobert

GV_Server.exc and GV_Server_v2.exe both work for me.

Did you allow it access thru the firewall?

Go to:
Windows Security.
Firewall & network protection
Allow an app through firewall

Is GV_Server.exe checked?

I thought that there might be a way to pass the forwarding number with the URL, but I couldn't find anything. I even posted a question on the GV forum and they said it can't be done.

Taoman

Quote from: azrobert on May 26, 2023, 02:23:42 PMDid you allow it access thru the firewall?

Yeah, that was it. Thanks.

Pnay

Why is this necessary? Won't Google Voice on Obi still work for outbound and inbound after EOL until Google breaks something?

azrobert

Here is a Batch file you can use to trigger GV_Server. Double clicking on it will open a terminal window and ask for a phone number. It will prompt for another number after triggering GV_Server. Close the window to stop it. It's setup to use the 1st forwarding number. If you need a different number, edit the Batch file and change parm2 to the number you need. It uses the Chrome browser. This can easily be changed. It also doesn't have any error checking, so enter the phone number correctly.

The Batch file opens another browser window for the URL. If you want to automatically close the window, add the following code to near the end of GV_Server and before "res.status := 200".
if WinExist("Untitled")                  ; GV-Server triggered by BAT file?
  WinClose

You can optionally pin the Batch file to the Start menu:
Right click on the Batch file and select Create Shortcut
Right click on the Shortcut and copy or cut it
Right click on the Start button and select Run
Enter shell:programs
This will open the Programs folder
Paste the shortcut into the folder
Now the shortcut will show as a Start menu program
Click Start button
Window 10: scroll down to the shortcut
Windows 11: Click All apps then scroll down to shortcut
Right click on shortcut and select Pin to Start

GV_Server can be pinned to Start using the same procedure.

Taoman

I just run the compiled versions of your script and my script at startup.
My guess is that most users that would be running your script regularly would want to do the same.

But I can test it if you want me to.

Taoman

Quote from: Pnay on June 14, 2023, 09:52:47 AMWhy is this necessary? Won't Google Voice on Obi still work for outbound and inbound after EOL until Google breaks something?

Correct. But don't you think it's prudent to have an alternate solution already tested and in place?

You should try azrobert's script (if you have a Callentric $1/month DID). It is quite slick. And the edit you would need to make on your OBi won't interfere with your existing configuration.

azrobert

Quote from: Taoman on June 25, 2023, 05:27:59 PMBut I can test it if you want me to.

You don't have to test the batch file. I know it works. I had nothing to do one afternoon and came up with the idea. The original version only had 2 lines of code. I added a loop, so you don't have to start it every time you make a call. The rational was that you basically need an OBi device to run GV_Server. The only other way I know to generate a URL with parms is with SipSorcery and probably FreePBX/Asterisk. These are both overkill. The batch file can be used with any ATA.

NKYadav

A lot of reading and figuring out how I want to provision my pair of Obi200s due to the upcoming EoL.

Thank you @azrobat for all the hard work you've been putting into these scripts to make this so much easier to manage, I was about to go crazy trying to figure out how I would be able to locally manage these as at least one is not going to be in my own home to begin with.

If the current set up on that device ever breaks, I like having this as a backup, as Taoman mentions.

unmesh

Quote from: Taoman on June 25, 2023, 05:34:12 PM
Quote from: Pnay on June 14, 2023, 09:52:47 AMWhy is this necessary? Won't Google Voice on Obi still work for outbound and inbound after EOL until Google breaks something?

Correct. But don't you think it's prudent to have an alternate solution already tested and in place?

You should try azrobert's script (if you have a Callentric $1/month DID). It is quite slick. And the edit you would need to make on your OBi won't interfere with your existing configuration.
My Mom uses her Obi200 with GV primarily as a way for her LifeLine fall detection device to call the service center in case she falls. They then call her back to see if she needs 3rd party assistance.

Will the callback methodology work for this application or should I plan to set her up with some other outbound calling service, avoiding GV altogether?

videobruce

I don't understand the connection between this "script" that runs in a PC and a ATA??
Someone enlighten me?

Also, why would one direction of calls work and the other not unless something/someone is blocking them??
I'll take VoIP any day over cell phones !

azrobert

The script is triggered by a URL. The URL also passes the outbound number to the script. The OBi generates the URL using a hack of the Auto Provisioning feature.

I don't understand your 2nd question.

If you want to try the script, I suggest using V2:
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?msg=114020

videobruce

Sorry;
inbound vs outbound calls.

Most, or all of this is well over my head. Do you have to have your PC on 24/7 to get this "GV Server" (if that is what this is) script to work??  :(

azrobert

Do you have a Non-GV SIP phone number?

Assuming after EOL, GV doesn't work on OBi devices. You can receive GV inbound calls on your OBi by defining that number as a GV forwarding number and registering it on the OBi. People have done this to get CallerID Name and there are several topics on OBiTalk with setup instructions. My script covers outbound GV calls.

azrobert

I didn't answer the 2nd part of your question.

You don't need your computer on to receive inbound calls. You do need it on with the script running to make outbound calls.

videobruce

Yes, it's with Phone Power (formally Broadvoice) but they refuse to support (help) ObiTalk customers self provisioning them themselves, stating they will provision the ATA from their end, but it will lock out the 2nd port (GV).
From ObiTalks website;

QuoteOBi200, OBi202 and OBi212 devices registered prior to the End of Engineering Support date won't be able to be provisioned via OBiTALK after the December 18, 2023 and can only be managed and provisioned locally (manually).[/qoute]

videobruce

Quote from: azrobert on November 06, 2023, 06:45:05 AMI didn't answer the 2nd part of your question.

You don't need your computer on to receive inbound calls. You do need it on with the script running to make outbound calls.
Then that makes it a non starter for me. I have never left PC's on 24/7 or even 12/7 in the past almost 25 years, too much of a power hog!  

But, thanks for the clarification.  :)