News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Support Google Apps for Domain Google Voice accounts

Started by unrequited, February 16, 2011, 02:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unrequited

As discussed in this thread:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=70.0

Users of Google Voice who are using their non-gmail.com Google Voice accounts get authentication errors when using the various means of configuration. This is on OBi's side however because gmail, gchat, gtalk all work with said non-gmail.com Google Apps for Domain accounts. Please add this support, I would be more than willing to be a beta tester or guinea pig. Thanks.

JohnSelden

I'd like to second the request for Google Apps support.  There was a time (not long ago) when Google Voice only supported @gmail.com email addresses.  But that has changed now:  Google Apps accounts are now full citizens in the Google Voice world.  We have GV accounts assigned to our @mydomain.com addresses, and we can access GV calling from chat embedded in the mail window, just like with regular Gmail.  So this seems like a firmware limitation at this point as opposed to a Google limitation.  I can imagine having this capability would expand your potential market considerably. 

rjrenaud

I think Obi should change their firmware, many of us use our domains on google apps which now has all the same features as gmail.com. Since we can all log in to gmail.com with our domains names there must be a way to pass to the login.

AndroidsOfTara

Based on my testing and success in getting my Google Apps GV account to work perfectly with PIAF / Incredible PBX:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=70.msg878#msg878

... would someone from Obihai please comment on why the OBI110 only works with @gmail.com accounts?

Is this lack of support a technical issue, an oversight or something else?

If it is possible, please release a firmware update to get this working.

Thanks.

jimates

Quote from: JohnSelden on February 16, 2011, 05:37:44 PM
I'd like to second the request for Google Apps support.  There was a time (not long ago) when Google Voice only supported @gmail.com email addresses.  But that has changed now:  Google Apps accounts are now full citizens in the Google Voice world.  We have GV accounts assigned to our @mydomain.com addresses, and we can access GV calling from chat embedded in the mail window, just like with regular Gmail.  So this seems like a firmware limitation at this point as opposed to a Google limitation.  I can imagine having this capability would expand your potential market considerably. 
Google Voice was never limited to gmail accounts only. I have always used my own domain for Google Voice. It wasn't until they started the Google Chat calling that I needed a gmail account, and that was just for the single feature. And after adding a gmail account, I still used my own domain to log in.

If I went direct to gmail I had to log in with my gmail credentials. If I went to google.com I could log in with my own domain and then go to my gmail from there without any other log in.

Now that I have my domain with google apps all the log ins are now separated from the gmail accounts that were used with them before and the @domain names were removed from the previous google accounts.

JohnSelden

Quote from: jimates on March 04, 2011, 12:56:39 PM
Google Voice was never limited to gmail accounts only. I have always used my own domain for Google Voice.

You're confusing the issue and missing the point.   

You could always use any email address to set up a GV account, be it Yahoo or Hotmail or Google Apps.  The problem with doing that, in the past, was that your GV account was not integrated with the rest of your domain, including mail.  For example, GV contacts were not integrated with your Google Apps contacts.  For purposes of GV, Google treated Google Apps addresses as being no better than "foreign" addresses from Yahoo, etc.  There are a million old threads about this in the GV help forum.  Google Apps accounts are now treated identically to regular Gmail accounts (for most purposes), and everything is integrated.  This is a recent change; the availability of voice calling within the Google Apps mail window is just one new feature that came along with this massive structural shift that Google made.

The point is that there is no longer any reason to treat @gmail.com addresses as special.  They once were, but now Google Apps addresses are on equal footing.

jimates

I am not confusing anything. I know exactly what you are saying. My response was a direct reply to this statement.
There was a time (not long ago) when Google Voice only supported @gmail.com email addresses.

OBi-Guru

Obihai listens to you, and would like to invite users wishing to use a non-gmail account with GV to test out a beta firmware.
Please send email to support@obihai.com with your OBi number (200 xxx xxx), and you'd need to add your device on OBiTALK portal.

AndroidsOfTara

swg0101

Robpol86

Does the current beta firmware support gapps accounts being configured directly on the device without having to release my credentials to the Obitalk portal?

If not, will this be the case on the final release?

Thanks.

RonR

You never have to use the OBiTALK portal for anything.  The OBi110 is a totally stand-alone device.  All features are available through manual cofiguration.