News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Porting and Caller id to SIP provider

Started by Navarro, December 20, 2011, 10:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navarro

Does anyone know of a SIP provider that you can port a land line to so you can display that number and customize your name on the caller id.  I want to to display both.  There are some that will show the number such as voipo but not your name.

VaHam

Quote from: Navarro on December 20, 2011, 10:56:27 AM
Does anyone know of a SIP provider that you can port a land line to so you can display that number and customize your name on the caller id.  I want to to display both.  There are some that will show the number such as voipo but not your name.

Names are looked up on the receiving end.  If you want you can List Yourself to a national database to facilitate the lookups.

davea0511

Quote from: VaHam on December 20, 2011, 01:45:53 PM
Quote from: Navarro on December 20, 2011, 10:56:27 AM

Names are looked up on the receiving end.  If you want you can List Yourself to a national database to facilitate the lookups.
That's not what I heard.

According to this review, one of the downsides of going with google voice is that it does not pass Caller ID name (only passes the number), whereas a fully qualified SIP can pass the name:
http://michigantelephone.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/how-to-use-the-obihai-obi100-or-obi110-voip-device-as-a-gateway-between-asteriskfreepbx-and-google-voice-andor-the-obitalk-network/

So the original question is one I'd also like to know the answer to as I'm converting my business lines to Obi100 (just ordered the devices yesterday).  Does anyone have experience with this, as to which SIP provides this and what is involved?  I was thinking of using voip.ms incidentally.

Thanks in advance!

lhm.

Voip.ms provides CallerID Name Lookup for 0.8 cent per query (8/10 of a cent) and as VAHam said it is passed/looked up on the receiving end. Some do, some do not.

davea0511

Quote from: lhm. on January 05, 2012, 06:50:51 AM
Voip.ms provides CallerID Name Lookup for 0.8 cent per query (8/10 of a cent) and as VAHam said it is passed/looked up on the receiving end. Some do, some do not.
I see ... I misunderstood what VAHam meant.  So it is not automatically provided as part of the handshaking that is done when a call is connected, but rather only upon request by a caller id enabled phone.  I'm assuming that only occurs once per call, so if you do 20 calls per day to callerID phones , them voip.ms would charge $0.16 per day ($0.008*20), or roughly $5/month. Yes?

Do outgoing callerID phones normally request that information to the receiving end?  I wouldn't think so, but as that could considerably increase the costs it's good to know.

Also does anyone have any comparison figures for callerID name serving costs among the different VOIP providers?

infin8loop

Quote from: davea0511 on January 06, 2012, 09:36:02 AM
Quote from: lhm. on January 05, 2012, 06:50:51 AM
I see ... I misunderstood what VAHam meant.  So it is not automatically provided as part of the handshaking that is done when a call is connected, but rather only upon request by a caller id enabled phone.  I'm assuming that only occurs once per call, so if you do 20 calls per day to callerID phones , them voip.ms would charge $0.16 per day ($0.008*20), or roughly $5/month. Yes?

Do outgoing callerID phones normally request that information to the receiving end?  I wouldn't think so, but as that could considerably increase the costs it's good to know.

Also does anyone have any comparison figures for callerID name serving costs among the different VOIP providers?

It seems like you may still be unclear.

CallerId Name lookup is done by the receiver's phone service provider based on the CallerId Number that is transmitted along with the call.  Thus if you enable CallerId Name lookup on voip.ms the 8/10 of a cent is charged on your incoming calls unless the incoming number is in your voip.ms address book in which case the name will be provided from the address book at no charge and the lookup will be skipped. 

For outbound calls on voip.ms, you can specifiy a CallerId Number to be transmitted on outbound calls. Again, the CallerId Name lookup for your outbound calls would be done by the receiver's telephone service provider and you will not be charged.
I have not ported my PSTN telephone number to voip.ms yet, but their support told me that most likely the CallerId Name currently associated to the number would remain intact but if it didn't or I want to change it after the port then they would do that (update the LIDB/CNAM database) for a $10 fee.  On voip.ms, I currently have outbound calls configured to use my voip.ms supplied DID# as the CallerID Number. Apparently the CallerId Name in the database for the DID# is a generic "MYSTATENAME" (my actual state name). I didn't ask, but presumably voip.ms would update the database for $10.

Google Voice doesn't offer CallerID Name lookup for incoming calls.  Google Voice outbound calls show whatever is in the LIDB/CNAM database for the Google Voice Number after the receiver's telephone service provider has looked up the number from the database.  In my case,  "MYSTATENAME" shows up on the receiver's CallerID Name for my GV outbound calls because apparently that is what's listed in the database (and at www.cidlookup.com for my GV#).  Google Voice doesn't offer an option to update the LIDB/CNAM at this time as far as I know.

"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

lhm.

My GV # shows my first and last name when I looked it up in www.cidlookup.com. I had added the number to www.listyourself.net and www.whitepages.com a year or so ago, though I do not know when or which one added it to the LIDB/CNAM database. Pretty cool though.

davea0511

pncall.com

I recomend this service: www.slaip.com
The have very cheap rates to many destinations.
You can put any caller id for out going calls.
Minimum top up is 10 euro and you can start calling.