News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Number porting to GV - my experience

Started by chaiwan2000, June 16, 2011, 11:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Quote from: LifeHub on February 17, 2012, 11:00:49 AM
No, if I call the ported landline from GV physically, the call just dies.  I even tried to call landline from gmail and the same problem occurs with "network error".  I have reported the issue to Google, but so far no response.  I sure hope T-Mo has not blocked incoming calls from GV.

I realize I can port it to another provider, but at this point I just want to see if there is any other options.

Quote from: Rick on February 17, 2012, 10:39:32 AM
What if you go into GV and use it to call your landline number.  Does the landline work?

If it cannot receive calls from GV, one option might be to forward the T-Mobile number to another number.  GV calls it to verify, the other phone rings, you enter the code...

My suggestion was to go into your T-Mobile settings and FORWARD all calls to another number, NOT port.  Test a call from GV.  If it forwards, then you can use that setup to put in the two digits.  If it doesn't (and it probably won't), then the issue is likely with the way your number is listed in the directory that GV is using to find the number, i.e. it isn't showing it as ported all the way or something.

Let us know if GV ever responds... 

If you can't get it to work today, wait and try again tomorrow, perhaps it's just not updated.

LifeHub

I doubt it will work, but will try your suggestion later this evening anyway.

The update is not the issue here since the porting was done a week ago.  I have been contacting T-Mo and GV to get it resolved.  I think your idea about the directory may be the culprit.

Quote from: Rick on February 17, 2012, 11:03:49 AM
My suggestion was to go into your T-Mobile settings and FORWARD all calls to another number, NOT port.  Test a call from GV.  If it forwards, then you can use that setup to put in the two digits.  If it doesn't (and it probably won't), then the issue is likely with the way your number is listed in the directory that GV is using to find the number, i.e. it isn't showing it as ported all the way or something.

Let us know if GV ever responds... 

If you can't get it to work today, wait and try again tomorrow, perhaps it's just not updated.

LifeHub

I already posted the problem in the same forum under filter "porting a number to Google Voice".  Are you telling me that I should post again under the filter that you pointed out?

Quote from: Rick on February 17, 2012, 11:28:17 AM
Try this forum, it appears that a Google person tries to resolve things.

http://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!category-topic/voice/making-and-receiving-calls/oC0idjQB9Kg

Rick

Quote from: LifeHub on February 17, 2012, 11:38:59 AM
I already posted the problem in the same forum under filter "porting a number to Google Voice".  Are you telling me that I should post again under the filter that you pointed out?

Quote from: Rick on February 17, 2012, 11:28:17 AM
Try this forum, it appears that a Google person tries to resolve things.

http://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!category-topic/voice/making-and-receiving-calls/oC0idjQB9Kg

Nope.  I just looked on their forums and found a place you could ask them.  I didn't know where you had asked, and he looked somewhat responsive.

jimates

FYI: Rite Aid has a tracfone on sale this week for less than $8. It will come with 10 minutes which is enough to get your land line ported.

LifeHub

Sorry for not updating earlier, but the issue still persists.  From the GV forum, it looks like more people are encountering the same problem.  I suggest adding a warning to the conversion steps when using the T-Mo prepaid to prevent more people getting stuck.

Quote from: Rick on February 17, 2012, 11:39:51 AM
Nope.  I just looked on their forums and found a place you could ask them.  I didn't know where you had asked, and he looked somewhat responsive.

MacOverAll

Number port in progress complete from ViaTalk VOIP provider:
1. Ordered SIM card from t-mobile.com for $2.12 w/tax included last week, arrive on Monday.
2. Activated SIM on wednesday with old t-mobile phone. Online shows that account has 10 minutes ($3.34) and service until May.
3. Thusday 8am-Called the port # listed in this post and got connected to IVR asked for new port, spoke to rep, she confirmed info and was very friendly.   Was told it shows as a landline account and can take up to two days to port.
4. Friday 0612 CST-Got text on t-mobile phone saying acct active with new phone number
5. Friday 0705-0815 CST- Logged into Google to see if it also showed number available for port, it does now and indicates provider T-Mobile.  When Google did verification call not all telco equip was updated with the new line location so it came through on my ViaTalk VOIP connection (no T-mobile minutes used).
When it came time to use Google Wallet, be aware that One-time numbers you can generate with your credit card provider don't work currently.  I could see the verification charge, but Google hasn't worked the kinks on their end out
-- You need to use your perm credit card number--
My credit card provider verified.  Merchants take note...
*******Google Wallet may not quite be ready for prime time and even the Wallet itself had difficulties operating in Safari and FF for a simple address update.

6. Google says port in progress estimated 24 hours for phone and may take up to 3 days for text. As I didn't have texting on "land line" the 3 days is really no big deal.
7. Saturday 8:34am Port complete. Two minutes shy of 24hrs.  Now will work on campaigning CNAM lookup up from speed dial -> GV contacts -> http CNAM lookups

Summary: bulk of time is actual number port process which thankfully is constrained by regulations -http://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers- as best as I can tell. As other posts mention, be sure to enter your pin that you set  up while activating and that your t-mobile account changes to number you are porting eg.1AAANNNNNNN where AAA is area code and NNNNNNN is phone number.
I'll update this post or add additional post once port completes.

Rick

I had filed a complaint with the FCC because my AT&T to T-Mobile port took 3 days, not the 1 day required by the FCC for simple port.  According to AT&T's response, it's because the CLEC (T-Mobile?) supplied too many fields of info, specifically they a simple port requires that not more than the 14 minimum fields filled in, CLEC populated Name and ELT, instead of leaving them blank.  Therefore, a simple port was not an option.

Therefore, despite the government setting up rules, companies don't follow the guidelines...

klrwaffles

Planning on doing this, but don't have a unlocked phone to test out the ports with.  Anybody try to do this without the phone?

Anybody have a suggestion on an unlocked or tmobile phone to buy for this?

Thanks.

Rick

Quote from: klrwaffles on February 25, 2012, 10:37:26 AM
Planning on doing this, but don't have a unlocked phone to test out the ports with.  Anybody try to do this without the phone?

Thanks.

You're not going to do it without a phone, or at least some type of device that can take the SIM card and receive phone calls.  I actually ported via T-Mobile and a device that I had temporarily that took SIM cards, but didn't get text messages.  Had to drive to T-Mobile store to get the pin number they texted to the account...

You can buy an AT&T prepaid phone for $5 - $10 on sale, but it won't take the T-Mobile $1.99 SIM card.  The one I bought for $4.99 is now $14.99. 

klrwaffles

Quote from: Rick on February 25, 2012, 10:42:51 AM
Planning on doing this, but don't have a unlocked phone to test out the ports with.  Anybody try to do this without the phone?

Thanks.

You're not going to do it without a phone, or at least some type of device that can take the SIM card and receive phone calls.  I actually ported via T-Mobile and a device that I had temporarily that took SIM cards, but didn't get text messages.  Had to drive to T-Mobile store to get the pin number they texted to the account...

You can buy an AT&T prepaid phone for $5 - $10 on sale, but it won't take the T-Mobile $1.99 SIM card.  The one I bought for $4.99 is now $14.99.  

Seems most people are using t-mobile to do this that is why I mentioned them.
Would this work? http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Nokia-1616-Prepaid-Cell-Phone/15833748

Rick

Quote from: klrwaffles on February 25, 2012, 11:56:02 AM
Quote from: Rick on February 25, 2012, 10:42:51 AM
Planning on doing this, but don't have a unlocked phone to test out the ports with.  Anybody try to do this without the phone?

Thanks.

You're not going to do it without a phone, or at least some type of device that can take the SIM card and receive phone calls.  I actually ported via T-Mobile and a device that I had temporarily that took SIM cards, but didn't get text messages.  Had to drive to T-Mobile store to get the pin number they texted to the account...

You can buy an AT&T prepaid phone for $5 - $10 on sale, but it won't take the T-Mobile $1.99 SIM card.  The one I bought for $4.99 is now $14.99.  

Seems most people are using t-mobile to do this that is why I mentioned them.
Would this work? http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Nokia-1616-Prepaid-Cell-Phone/15833748

It should work fine, any T-Mobile or AT&T prepaid phone.  You'll need a few minutes, depending on how many calls you get on your landline during the porting.  I bought an AT&T initially, but had the T-Mobile SIM card for the other device I didn't use, so it was cheaper to use it then to activate the AT&T phone I spent $4.99 on.

klrwaffles

Got my t-mobile phone today to start the port.  So  I returned to http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial.html for instructions, and noticed the "sanity check".  For some reason, I didn't notice this before.

So, my 763 number is getting the Ooops! This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support.

I'm inclined not to believe this.  I did a check on a different mobile number on 763 and it said it could do it.  So area code shouldn't be an issue.  And when I did the check within my google account, it gave me both errors listed in the sanity check:

Porting your mobile number to Google Voice is unavailable
Your mobile number can not be ported at this time.
- This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support for porting.
- We currently don't support porting from your carrier. We apologize and are working on adding support for more carriers.

I don't want to loose my number (I can just transfer it back to my land line if needed).

So what does the Obi forum think???

MacOverAll

Did you check to see if the number was available to port to Google prior to the t-mobile port being complete? I'd wait until you get the welcome text with the ported phone number, wait about an hour and then check on GoogleVoice site.

Judgeless

I am having a similar issue.  I had a landline with Windstream.  I picked up a T-Mobile SIM and had T-Mobile port my Windstream landline.  It now works on T-Mobile.  I went to Google Voice today to port the number from T-Mobile to Google Voice and got this error.

- This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support for porting.

Is there a time period that it has to stay at T-Mobile?  Is there another service I can port them to?

Rick

Quote from: Judgeless on February 29, 2012, 12:30:41 PM
I am having a similar issue.  I had a landline with Windstream.  I picked up a T-Mobile SIM and had T-Mobile port my Windstream landline.  It now works on T-Mobile.  I went to Google Voice today to port the number from T-Mobile to Google Voice and got this error.

Is there a time period that it has to stay at T-Mobile?  Is there another service I can port them to?

There is no time period.  I ported to TMobile, and initiated the GV port minutes after the TMobile port was complete.  No idea why you are having this issue. 

Judgeless

Can someone recommend a provider that might be able to port my number from T-Mobile so I can use it with my OBI box?

Stewart

Quote from: Judgeless on March 02, 2012, 06:19:39 AM
Can someone recommend a provider that might be able to port my number from T-Mobile so I can use it with my OBI box?
A quick look at the Elyria, OH rate center http://www.telcodata.us/search-area-code-exchange-by-ratecenter-state?ratecenter=elyria&state=oh shows Level 3 as the only CLEC, which likely explains your problem with GV (they seem to deal only with Bandwidth.com).

I'm a satisfied Phonepower customer; my DID is with Level 3, and I would assume that they can port your 440 number.  Most providers have an online check for portability, so you could try your number on various sites to see your options.

Stewart

VOIPo and VoIP.ms both have (Level 3) numbers in Elyria, so I assume that they could also port.

Callcentric site shows your number as portable.

I do not see your rate center on Anveo.