News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

911 Calls

Started by Alex816, February 17, 2012, 09:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex816

I just setup the service with google voice.. I really want to keep the 911 feature I am willing to pay and if there is any way I can keep my phone number as well from my old service provider verizon.  Does anyone have any suggestions willing to use something other than google voice.

RonR

There's a multitude of good VoIP providers who will port your Verizon number as well as provide 911 service.

I'm sure you'll get a number of recommendations.

An excellent one to consider is Callcentric.

Rick

Quote from: Alex816 on February 17, 2012, 09:40:43 PM
I just setup the service with google voice.. I really want to keep the 911 feature I am willing to pay and if there is any way I can keep my phone number as well from my old service provider verizon.  Does anyone have any suggestions willing to use something other than google voice.

Port your Verizon number to a prepaid cell, then to GV.  Setup Callcentric for e911 for $1.50 setup fee and $1.50 per month.  Info all over these forums

jonsid

I called 911 from a regular phone and asked the person who answered what phone number I could call to reach them other than 911.  He gave me a regular phone number and I programmed that into the telephone directory on my cordless phone.  So it's not 3 digits like 911 but who cares?  It still gets their attention. 

Rick

Quote from: jonsid on February 18, 2012, 06:36:47 PM
I called 911 from a regular phone and asked the person who answered what phone number I could call to reach them other than 911.  He gave me a regular phone number and I programmed that into the telephone directory on my cordless phone.  So it's not 3 digits like 911 but who cares?  It still gets their attention. 

When someone calls from your house and can't give them an address, you'll care.  You're saving a whole $.05 per day, but what might it cost someday not having e911?

And calling 911 without an emergency is not a good idea.  They have non-emergency numbers you can call, and then get permission to call 911 if you need to test it, which you did not.

jimates

Keep in mind also that if you want to set up 2 google voice accounts on one Obi you won't be able to set up a sip provider for 911.

I am sure Stewart will tell you how you can accomplish using 2 google voice accounts and a sip provider, but just looking at what I stated (set up 2 google voice accounts on one Obi) you can't do it.

Majicjack plus and Nettalk are 911 alternatives that will connect to the line port of the Obi110.

jonsid

Quote from: Rick on February 18, 2012, 06:48:05 PM
Quote from: jonsid on February 18, 2012, 06:36:47 PM

When someone calls from your house and can't give them an address, you'll care.  You're saving a whole $.05 per day, but what might it cost someday not having e911?

And calling 911 without an emergency is not a good idea.  They have non-emergency numbers you can call, and then get permission to call 911 if you need to test it, which you did not.
My caller ID shows up on their screen and I had already given my home address being associated with the number.

sic0048

It would still be smarter to program the OBi to call the non-emergency number when I dialer calls 911 on the phone.  This is easily done and prevents a guest from not getting the help they need because they keep dialing 911 during an emergency.

That being said, I agree with the others that have said it is much saver to subscribe to an E911 service instead of using the non-emergency number.  I also use Callcentric for this service for $1.50 per month while using GV for all my outgoing and incoming calls.  I have tested the service and confirmed that my 911 call center does receive the correct location information when 911 is called.  $1.50/mo is a stupidly low price to pay for the piece of mind knowing anyone in my house that needs assistance will be able to get it with the least amount of hassles.

jimates

Quote from: sic0048 on February 20, 2012, 01:56:01 PM
It would still be smarter to program the OBi to call the non-emergency number when I dialer calls 911 on the phone.  This is easily done and prevents a guest from not getting the help they need because they keep dialing 911 during an emergency.

That being said, I agree with the others that have said it is much saver to subscribe to an E911 service instead of using the non-emergency number.  I also use Callcentric for this service for $1.50 per month while using GV for all my outgoing and incoming calls.  I have tested the service and confirmed that my 911 call center does receive the correct location information when 911 is called.  $1.50/mo is a stupidly low price to pay for the piece of mind knowing anyone in my house that needs assistance will be able to get it with the least amount of hassles.
Those of use that have both SP trunks set for google voice don't have the option of using Callcentric (or other sip providers). We must use alternative methods.

sic0048

Then buy another OBi box if you already have two SIP providers.  How difficult is that?  We are talking about the safety of persons and property here.  If you cannot spend the extra $50 for another box and $1.50 per month for a real E911 solution, then I won't have a lot of sympathy for you when your house burns down or a family member dies of a heart attack because the 911 operator didn't have the proper information in the format they are use to dealing with and the help that was desperately needed was delayed in arriving.  I mean seriously people, this is a small price to pay for the added protection E911 service provides.

pigpile

is this a forum or a lecture hall?

jimates

Quote from: sic0048 on February 26, 2012, 04:01:21 PM
Then buy another OBi box if you already have two SIP providers.  How difficult is that?  We are talking about the safety of persons and property here.  If you cannot spend the extra $50 for another box and $1.50 per month for a real E911 solution, then I won't have a lot of sympathy for you when your house burns down or a family member dies of a heart attack because the 911 operator didn't have the proper information in the format they are use to dealing with and the help that was desperately needed was delayed in arriving.  I mean seriously people, this is a small price to pay for the added protection E911 service provides.
Well, you said it would be smarter to program an alternate number rather than nothing. That is what I am doing and that is reflected in the statement I made concerning alternate methods.

And I already have 3 Obi's.

bawaji

Quote from: Rick on February 18, 2012, 04:20:58 PM
Port your Verizon number to a prepaid cell, then to GV.  Setup Callcentric for e911 for $1.50 setup fee and $1.50 per month.  Info all over these forums

Can one of you please outline exactly what one needs to sign up for on the Callcentric website to be able to use it for 911 calls? I have Google Voice but am not sure exactly what plan or plans to sign up for at Callcentric, including whether I need to sign up for a phone number. Looks to me like i need to sign up for only outgoing service, and that too only the pay per call rate plan. Is that correct? Any link to a clear step-by-step procedure will help. Thanks!

Rick

Quote from: bawaji on March 11, 2012, 08:46:27 AM

Quote from: Rick on February 18, 2012, 04:20:58 PM
Port your Verizon number to a prepaid cell, then to GV.  Setup Callcentric for e911 for $1.50 setup fee and $1.50 per month.  Info all over these forums

Can one of you please outline exactly what one needs to sign up for on the Callcentric website to be able to use it for 911 calls? I have Google Voice but am not sure exactly what plan or plans to sign up for at Callcentric, including whether I need to sign up for a phone number. Looks to me like i need to sign up for only outgoing service, and that too only the pay per call rate plan. Is that correct? Any link to a clear step-by-step procedure will help. Thanks!

You must sign up for at least the Pay Per Call plan.  Then you sign up for E911 for the $1.50 setup and $1.50 per month.  You WILL get a Callcentric number.

Once you get a confirmation from Callcentric, put this in the Physical Interfaces > Phone Port > Outbound Call Route:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>):li},{911:sp2},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1}, {(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Click Submit, Reboot the OBi, call the NON-EMERGENCY number for your dispatch center and ask permission to test E911.  When you test it, they should be able to see your name and address, AND the phone number.  I asked what it was, the dispatcher noted it was "out of area" and read it to me, it was a California number, see my post on how the Callcentric process works.

userobi110

Here is what I setup for my 911 on SP1 (GV):

Phone OutboundCallRoute:
------------------------
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>):li},{(<911:1408xxxxxxx>):sp1},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Also I have the following setup:
Phone DigitMap:
---------------
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

But, when I call 911, it always get the busy signal from my phone. What I am missing here?

RonR

Quote from: userobi110 on March 11, 2012, 12:40:33 PM
Phone DigitMap:
---------------
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Your PHONE Port DigitMap should be:

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> DigitMap:

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

userobi110

Thanks a lot - it's working now.

Marc

As a fire fighter, paramedic and certified emergency dispatcher, I couldn't agree with you more.  A 911 operator can take in as many as 2 calls per minute.  E911 has allowed us to automate dispatch processes which speeds up response times by well over a minute and usually multiple minutes.

Consider these facts:
1) A heart without adequate oxygenation will start to die in 90 seconds.
2) A brain without adequate oxygenation will start to die in 3 minutes.
3) General rule of thumb is you have 60 minutes from the moment a trauma occurs to get the patient into the operating room or risk losing life or limb.  Every second counts.

Is your life or the lives of your friends, family and relatives worth saving less than $30/year if you amortize the initial equipment, setup costs, and monthly charges over 5 years?

If ANYONE answered yes, then go get yourself admitted to a psychiatric ward at local hospital, but DON'T call 911 to get you there.
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

bawaji

Quote from: Rick on March 11, 2012, 08:56:48 AM
You must sign up for at least the Pay Per Call plan.  Then you sign up for E911 for the $1.50 setup and $1.50 per month.  You WILL get a Callcentric number.

Once you get a confirmation from Callcentric, put this in the Physical Interfaces > Phone Port > Outbound Call Route:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>):li},{911:sp2},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1}, {(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Click Submit, Reboot the OBi, call the NON-EMERGENCY number for your dispatch center and ask permission to test E911.  When you test it, they should be able to see your name and address, AND the phone number.  I asked what it was, the dispatcher noted it was "out of area" and read it to me, it was a California number, see my post on how the Callcentric process works.

Thanks a lot for clarifying. Hope it works out!

omegaroach

I don't quite understand this though.
If I have 2 Obi's then I would have to have 2 seperate phone lines correct?