News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is there any block list?

Started by dealyanodeal, March 15, 2011, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: dealyanodeal on March 16, 2011, 10:49:42 PM@MichiganTelephone - what is this phone 12484345508? Googled and found weired stories about 35$ charge :-). Can you shed some light

It's a number on a private Asterisk server (not mine), and it's in Michigan, so unless you are calling from the middle of the ocean using a satellite phone or something like that, there is no $35 charge!  Whoever said that probably didn't appreciate the joke.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

RonR

Quote from: dealyanodeal on March 16, 2011, 10:59:21 PM
this didnt work for anonymous call black with a call from my cell with caller id suppressed

{(x.720#######):aa},{(x.720#######|?):},{ph}
Routes are matched from left to right.  The first one that matches takes and the rest are ignored.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: RonR on March 16, 2011, 10:51:18 PM
dealyanodeal,

It appears the recommendation I gave you was spot on:

{(x.720#######|1888xx.|?):}

I just tested it and it works fine.  Without the (), it doesn't.

Hmmm, that must have been at some point after this response:

Quote from: RonR on March 15, 2011, 01:03:02 PM
If the list of numbers you want to block is relatively small, you can accomplish it by using the proper syntax and putting them in the appropriate InboundCallRoute (Physical Interfaces -> LINE Port, for example, in the case of your Ooma).  You'll need to study and understand the sections of the Administrator Guide relating to DigitMap and CallRoute configuration.

I tend to stop listening to someone after they give what amounts to an "RTFM" type of response.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: RonR on March 16, 2011, 11:03:58 PM
Quote from: dealyanodeal on March 16, 2011, 10:59:21 PM
this didnt work for anonymous call black with a call from my cell with caller id suppressed

{(x.720#######):aa},{(x.720#######|?):},{ph}
Routes are matched from left to right.  The first one that matches takes and the rest are ignored.

And how, exactly, would a call with no caller ID match on the first rule (it's a rule, not a route)?

QBZappy

dealyanodeal,

CID suppressed? Are you certain that the suppressed CID is in fact what you think it is?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

dealyanodeal

just wanted to clarify a few things

The 720####### used in first rule and 2nd rule are actually two different 720 numbers. So if i am calling from the 2nd 720 number then it will not match the first rule.

Before using the cell phone with suppressed caller id  for anonymous call block, i used the same for the first rule(i mentioned in my earlier post). I suppressed the caller id and called from the cell which would normally get forwarded to AA. With caller id suppressed, it didnt go to AA and that made me believe that i can use supressed caller id for anonymous call block test. I could be wrong but if it worked for 1st rule then it should work for 2nd rule too.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: dealyanodeal on March 16, 2011, 11:31:02 PMI could be wrong but if it worked for 1st rule then it should work for 2nd rule too.

That's what I'd think as well.  You might want to send an e-mail to Obihai Support and see if perhaps there's a bug in the handling of the ? — I'm not saying there is, but they might be able to help you test it and discover the problem, since according to the documentation it should work.

RonR

Quote from: dealyanodeal on March 16, 2011, 11:31:02 PM
just wanted to clarify a few things

The 720####### used in first rule and 2nd rule are actually two different 720 numbers. So if i am calling from the 2nd 720 number then it will not match the first rule.
You mentioned in an earlier posting that you were using 2 cells phones, so I assumed the two 720xxxxxxx were different and you were testing as you described.
Quote from: dealyanodeal on March 16, 2011, 11:31:02 PMBefore using the cell phone with suppressed caller id  for anonymous call block, i used the same for the first rule(i mentioned in my earlier post). I suppressed the caller id and called from the cell which would normally get forwarded to AA. With caller id suppressed, it didnt go to AA and that made me believe that i can use supressed caller id for anonymous call block test. I could be wrong but if it worked for 1st rule then it should work for 2nd rule too.
I got a little lost about who's on first and what's on second, but I think you'll find everything is probably working OK.  Just remember to order your routes carefully if more than one might match, and to use parenthesis around multiple rules within a route before you get to the ':'.

Pretty neat stuff, eh?

QBZappy

Can someone define the "?" param = anonymous calls

Unknown number
Out of area
What???
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Probably anything other than a numeric number is considered anonymous.

jimates

Quote from: QBZappy on March 16, 2011, 09:28:12 PM

1) I waS thinking about your call block strategy. Your strategy picks up the CID and drops them in a void. This approach makes a lot of sense. To make it interesting for telemarketers that make it on the block list, we could redirect them to a FCC phone number. That would certainly confuse them. If there was an IVR which we could record sound we could then direct them to recorded busy sounds, etc... Can you think of a way to deliberately send a call to a broken call path which could reproduce a busy or other tone?

Instead of blocking them you can forward them to a google voice number where they can be sent straight to voicemail, blocked, treated as spam or you can have a personal recording that plays music, busy signal or whatever. If you use a junk google voice number then you won't have to set up contacts, you can have the same action for every incoming.

QBZappy

jimates,

That too is an excellent idea, GV adds more options to handle the calls.

QBZappy

OBi Central,

Can someone there define the "?" param = anonymous calls

MichiganTelephone

This is slightly OT may may be helpful to some readers of this thread - if Google Voice is what you are using to receive incoming calls then you can also use their call blocking features.  This article just posted on "The Consumerist" site explains:

Just Use "Block Caller" In Google Voice To Beat Fraudulent Debt Collectors

obi-support2

? is the correct syntax to represent anonymous caller in a InBoundCallRoute.
By anonymous caller we meant either caller-id is not available (or blank) or the number field is not available (or blank). Note that ? used in this way MUST NOT be included in
parenthesis; otherwise it will take on a different meaning. For example:

{(x.1234)|?:},{ph}

will block any number ending in 1234 or anonymous. But

{(x.1234|?):}

will only block numbers ending in 1234.

Note that any x MUST be
inside parenthesis to be processed as a digit map syntax.

------------

FYI, the ? mark when used inside parenthesis (in a digit map that is) is to
represent 0 or 1 occurrence of the previous character. For example
(xx?) means a 1- or 2- digit number. This syntax will be available in the upcoming 1.2 release

OBIHAI Support Staff

MichiganTelephone

obi-support2: Thank you very much for that clarification.

dealyanodeal: So, it looks like you should try this:
{(x.720#######):aa},{(x.720#######)|?:},{ph}
(with the ####### replaced by your numbers as before).

RonR

Thank you for documenting the '?' operator usage in DigitMap's.  It's not documented in the OBi Device Administration Guide.

Quote from: obi-support2 on March 17, 2011, 01:05:04 PMNote that ? used in this way MUST NOT be included in
parenthesis; otherwise it will take on a different meaning. For example:

{(x.1234)|?:},{ph}

will block any number ending in 1234 or anonymous. But

{(x.1234|?):}

will only block numbers ending in 1234.

Note that any x MUST be
inside parenthesis to be processed as a digit map syntax.
I just reran the tests I performed last night and {(x.1234|?):} does, in fact, block anonymous numbers in addition to numbers ending in 1234 (at least in v1.2.0 (build 2052).

obi-support2

RonR,

Thanks for trying it out.

OBi Admin Guide is being revised for 1.2. We should be able to post
the updated doc by the time we officially release 1.2.

OBIHAI Support Staff

RonR

Just to be clear...

{(x.1234|?):} does block anonymous calls.  Apparently it's not supposed to (or at least not intended to).  If that's the case, it could just be an unintended side-effect of an improper use of the '?' operator (0 or 1 occurrenceses of '|' isn't meaningful).

The only reason I'm pointing this out is in case you want to double-check the way you're parsing a '?'.  It's a bit tricky in the case of an InboundCallRoute where it apparently has two totally different meanings depending on where it's located.  (I might have chosen a different operator for 'anonymous' to avoid the ambiguity.)

obi-support2

Just to clarify:

{(x.1234|?):},{ph}  would not block anonymous call, by design. This syntax is not meaningful; you are right about that. If it blocks anonymous, that would be a bug. We will check on that again.

{(x.1234)|?:},{ph) is the correct syntax to block anonymous call (and any number ends in 1234).

Just beware that inside parenthesis () is a digit map and special symbols will take on different meaning.
x?@. are some examples.
OBIHAI Support Staff