News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Reverse issue with google chat and obi device!

Started by GrayOnGray, March 17, 2011, 05:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrayOnGray

I'm having a situation where the phone connected to the Obi will ring, but the google chat client will not activate if left open at the same time. The Obi is set as primary and google chat is checked in google voice settings. This sounds like the reverse of the issue that is expected. Ideally, I'd like them both to ring simultaneously, but if I had to have just one ring, I'd prefer to have the google chat client ring, if already open, instead of the Obi-connected phone. This is because I may be connected to google away from my home and would otherwise miss a call if I'm not near my home phone connected to the Obi. Any idea on what's happening, and whether I can reverse it, as I mentioned? Thanks!!  ???

classpro

What do you mean by "obi is set as primary."  I don't know how it works, but I think the obi is ringing through the google chat interface in google voice.  I don't know what happens if you have two things set up to work through google chat.  I wish someone would explain it.

GrayOnGray

all i mean is that the google number is set to "Make This the Primary Line to Call Out." However, neither the primary nor secondary lines let google chat ring. They go directly to the Obi-connected phone. Any insight from anyone on how to let google chat ring as well? Currently, it won't ring at all within my gmail window if someone calls, but the Obi phone will ring.

QBZappy

GrayOnGray,

Not an answer to your question, however I was thinking if you don't get that to work  GV can offer parallel ring strategy. You might consider getting another GV number and set up the ringing to ring both numbers at the same time. One on the OBi another on a second GV number. This would give you the same thing. I think it could work.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

GrayOnGray

hi QBZappy, i'll try that out now since i do have another GV account. I didn't realize you could forward calls from one GV to another. Thanks!

jimates

Quote from: GrayOnGray on March 17, 2011, 08:57:08 AM
hi QBZappy, i'll try that out now since i do have another GV account. I didn't realize you could forward calls from one GV to another. Thanks!
You can't.

But you can set the Obi to forward on no answer to the second google voice number. Or you can use the Obi app for PC to receive calls instead of google chat on your computer. Of course if you have your gmail open for any reason it will likely affect calls.

I read something in the admin guide in reference to calls ringing the Obi and a softphone at the same time.

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

GrayOnGray

jimmates, thanks. However, in the event that i don't pick up on the forwarded line, either, where would the voicemail go? because i would be checking voicemail only on my "initial" number that forwarded the call in the first place.

jimates

See page 109 in the admin guide
http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

Perhaps the Obi can ring the phone and your second GV number (or one of the apps) at the same time. That way you won't miss the call.

jimates

Quote from: GrayOnGray on March 17, 2011, 09:07:26 AM
jimmates, thanks. However, in the event that i don't pick up on the forwarded line, either, where would the voicemail go? because i would be checking voicemail only on my "initial" number that forwarded the call in the first place.
the second GV number would have it's own mail but you can have it send an email or text anywhere. And the upcoming firmware has the message waiting indicators.

QBZappy

jimates,

Hi

Quote from: jimates on March 17, 2011, 09:10:06 AM
See page 109 in the admin guide
http://www.obihai.com/docs/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf

Perhaps the Obi can ring the phone and your second GV number (or one of the apps) at the same time. That way you won't miss the call.

I'm not sure any more, a bit of conflicting info. We can have parallel rings on a second GV number?

jimates

I haven't read it enough times to think I understand it but ....

Up to 4 terminals may be specified in the list. The listed terminals will be called/rung by OBi simultaneously; we refer to this operation as forking the call. A terminal may be a trunk or an endpoint.

Instead of just forwarding the call perhaps the Obi can ring the phone port and ring another "terminal", simultaneously.

And after thinking about it, the Obi can't forward a call out sp2 to the same GV number that sp2 uses. Because the outgoing forwarded call will carry the sp2 GV caller id which will see the incoming call as it's own number and therefore the call will be answered by the GV attendant.

It can however forward the call back out on sp1 to the second GV number. It would probably be best not to have the second GV account set up as sp2, to eliminated a loop, unless the second GV account is only set to place calls and not receive them on the Obi.

QBZappy

GrayOnGray,

You might want to follow developments in this thread. Discussion of call forwarding to GV. Might provide a solution for you. VM is still another issue.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=365.0;topicseen

GrayOnGray

Thanks, QBZappy. any idea whether the VM issue can be resolved via a firmware update? what about the issue i'm seeing where obi seems to hijack GV to the point where google talk does not ring? thanks again.