News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Please Help, cannot work with my phone line.

Started by ronaldng, March 16, 2011, 05:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronaldng

I live in Hong Kong and I just got my OBi110 from Amazon (from OBIHAI, not third-party).

I connect it with phone line, phone and my LAN network.

But I cannot make it work with my phone line.

PLEASE HELP!

-----

Outgoing Call
After I dial an phone number, there is about 5 secound delay before I got the connecting tone.

Incoming Call
My phone just doesn't ring

-----

Is it because the default Ring Tone setting in the unit is for US but not Hong Kong (UK)?

Or the Line & Phone Port Setting?

I searched their web site & forum but I cannot find any information on the these setting for other area.

Please HELP

jimates

The delay is common, you can press # when you finish entering digits and it will send the call out immediately.

To see how the Obi handled the incoming call you can check the call history from the Obi web interface

dial ***1 to get the IP address of your Obi.
enter the IP address to access the Obi's web interface.

Status > Call History

The first line in the middle column tells you where the call came from. It should show Line1
The first line in the third column tells you where the Obi routed the call. It should show Phone1

ronaldng

Thanks a lot!

After one of the user in HK send me the correct "Ring Detection Parameter", my phone can ring when a incoming call in.

But there is a problem on Caller ID.

The caller ID shown on my phone and the "Call History" page in Web page is not correct.

e.g.
Incoming number : "12345678" (Hong Kong use 8 digits phone number)
Caller ID shown on my phone and the "Call History" page in Web page :  "51234567"

A "5" digital added at the beginning and the last digit was cut?

Any idea?

QBZappy

ronaldng,

Hi

You might be interested to know there is a forum in HK discussing how to setup the OBi. Mostly in Chinese and some parts in English.

http://www.telecom-cafe.com/forum/
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

LeftRight

Can you also take a look at the Caller Info show in the status page?

Status --> PHONE & LINE port --> LINE port --> LastCallerInfo.

Does the number shown also include a extra "5" and cut off the last digit? This field usually shows the CallerID name and number delivered by the phone company ..

QBZappy

ronaldng

Hi

Have a look at the entire call history. I have a feeling the CID parsing done in the OBi is not setup for your local. I had another CID issue in Canada when the the OBi units first came out. It might be a trailing last digit not making it on the last CID. The last digit of the last call might appear as the first digit of the next call.

I suggest that you look into the call history and look at the telephone numbers coming into the OBI. This might be a good opportunity to try looking at the call history using Excel. Read this thread:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=333.0

It explains how you can read OBi call history and OBi configuration using MS Excel. It is easier on the eyes (and brain) to analyze it this way.

Choose any way to look into the call history and confirm if what I said above is accurate.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ronaldng

Quote from: LeftRight on March 17, 2011, 02:31:12 PM
Can you also take a look at the Caller Info show in the status page?

Status --> PHONE & LINE port --> LINE port --> LastCallerInfo.

Does the number shown also include a extra "5" and cut off the last digit? This field usually shows the CallerID name and number delivered by the phone company ..

Yes!
LastCallerInfo : " 51234567

---
After I changed the setting

Phyical Interface --> Line Port --> Port Setting --> CallerIDDetectMethod

from "FSK(Bell202)" to "FSK(V2.3)"

The "5" digit at the beginning change to "0"

LastCallerInfo : " 01234567

LeftRight

This may be due to a different CallerID delivery standard used in Hong Kong... Before we jump onto any conclusion, you may contact OBi support team to get this figured out, they can be reached at: support@obihai.com ... let's know if you have the answer from them ...

ronaldng

Thanks a lot!

I will open a support case.

Hope they will support my unit in Hong Kong.

MichiganTelephone

According to this page:

QuoteThere are Frequency Shift Keying standards, used in various countries across the globe. They are the ETSI FSK, Bellcore FSK, BT (British Telecom) FSK and CCA (Cable Communication Association) FSK. The Bellcore standard is used in United States, Australia, China, Hong Kong and Singapore. It uses the 1200 baud Bell 202 tone modulation and the first bit of data is transferred after receiving the first ring tone.

However I have come across other pages that suggest that mainland China uses ETSI FSK, but so far haven't come across anything that suggests that Hong Kong uses anything other than Bellcore.  Just a data point.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

obi-support2

ronaldng,

Our engineering team may have found the root cause of your problem, which is related to the caller-id standard used in HK. Please email support@obihai.com and allow us to remotely upgrade your unit to let you try out our solution. Your support appreciated.

Thanks - OBIHAI Support Team

OBIHAI Support Staff

ronaldng

Quote from: obi-support2 on March 17, 2011, 06:23:00 PM
ronaldng,

Our engineering team may have found the root cause of your problem, which is related to the caller-id standard used in HK. Please email support@obihai.com and allow us to remotely upgrade your unit to let you try out our solution. Your support appreciated.

Thanks - OBIHAI Support Team

Thanks a lot!

I will email support to provide my details.

I don't mind to become the "white mouse" cause I really want to help other users.

I know OBi110 from a local forum that full of VOIP users from Hong Kong & China.

Because of the economical growth in China, many Hong Kong people (several hundred thousand) need to work in China (full-time or part-time) so there is a strong demand of VOIP service to cut the cost for long distance call.