News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting Up Caller ID shown Name and Number on OBI110 !!! HELP

Started by zen2, April 14, 2012, 06:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zen2

Just received my Obi110 order from Amazon today and everything work just fine but caller ID seem not working right with GV. No names are shown except caller phone numbers.

I search around but still can not find the right instruction to resolve this caller ID issue. 
I really appreciate if anyone would send me the instruction on how to set this up.  Thanks all.

RonR

Quote from: zen2 on April 14, 2012, 06:16:04 PM
No names are shown except caller phone numbers.

Google Voice does not support CallerID names.

Stewart

If inbound CNAM is important to you, instead of having GV ring the OBi directly, forward it to a DID from a service provider that has CNAM (use SP2 to register to that provider).  AFAIK, there are no free ones.  An Anveo DID (Value @ $0.99/mo. or Unlimited @ $1.99/mo.) may be suitable; there are dozens of other choices.  You could still use GV for free outbound domestic calls.

If outbound CNAM (displaying your name to people you call) is important, you will not be able to use your GV number for those calls.  Providers with outbound CNAM either charge per minute for outgoing calls, or have a monthly charge for "unlimited" calling.

zen2

Quote from: Stewart on April 14, 2012, 09:36:02 PM
If inbound CNAM is important to you, instead of having GV ring the OBi directly, forward it to a DID from a service provider that has CNAM (use SP2 to register to that provider).  AFAIK, there are no free ones.  An Anveo DID (Value @ $0.99/mo. or Unlimited @ $1.99/mo.) may be suitable; there are dozens of other choices.  You could still use GV for free outbound domestic calls.

If outbound CNAM (displaying your name to people you call) is important, you will not be able to use your GV number for those calls.  Providers with outbound CNAM either charge per minute for outgoing calls, or have a monthly charge for "unlimited" calling.

How would I configure with CNAM ? or Anveo ? I dont know anything about voip I did setup my Obi110 just using the FAQs .  I just read it over and over again and follow the instruction that how I get my Obi110 works now but just need inbound callerID works then I will be very happy.  Thanks for your help.

dima_nyc

What he tells you is completely separate issue from Obi adapters.
Buy service from VoIP provider with DID CNAM* (incoming phone number with name/phone number caller ID support), program your home VoIP adapter (Obi is one - for what it matters) for this provider. Forward your google voice calls to this new VoIP provider and your home adapter will ring with name/number.
The only question is why do you need Google Voice and ObiTalk service then? Outgoing calls?

* CNAM gets the name of the person/company calling from special database that is available to telecommunication providers only.

tome

Quote from: Stewart on April 14, 2012, 09:36:02 PM
If inbound CNAM is important to you, instead of having GV ring the OBi directly, forward it to a DID from a service provider that has CNAM (use SP2 to register to that provider).  AFAIK, there are no free ones.  An Anveo DID (Value @ $0.99/mo. or Unlimited @ $1.99/mo.) may be suitable; there are dozens of other choices.  You could still use GV for free outbound domestic calls.

If outbound CNAM (displaying your name to people you call) is important, you will not be able to use your GV number for those calls.  Providers with outbound CNAM either charge per minute for outgoing calls, or have a monthly charge for "unlimited" calling.

So this has me wondering....  I have Callcentric set up on SP2 for 911 service only at the moment (I pay $1.50/mo for this service).  Callcentric has a service called "Free Phone Number" where you can get a DID in the New York State area (http://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number).  I wonder, even if I don't live in NY State, if I get one of these could I use it to forward my incoming GV calls to in order to get CallerID with Name?

I would still want my GV number to appear for what I send when I call others' though...
Tom

IrwinFamily

I wonder, even if I don't live in NY State, if I get one of these could I use it to forward my incoming GV calls to in order to get CallerID with Name?
[/quote]

Yes, that wold work. Set Google Voice to ring your NY number which is connected to SP2 on your OBi. Leave the default provider under the phone port set to SP1. When you place a call, it will go out over Google Voice and display your Google number.
Note: CallCentric does charge per minute for incoming calls on the pay as you go plan. Unlimited incoming is available for $5.95 per month.

Stewart

Quote from: IrwinFamily on May 28, 2012, 05:27:27 AMNote: CallCentric does charge per minute for incoming calls on the pay as you go plan. Unlimited incoming is available for $5.95 per month.
Not true for the free numbers mentioned by the OP.  http://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number .

pc44

Quote from: IrwinFamily on May 28, 2012, 05:27:27 AMYes, that wold work. Set Google Voice to ring your NY number which is connected to SP2 on your OBi. Leave the default provider under the phone port set to SP1. When you place a call, it will go out over Google Voice and display your Google number.
Note: CallCentric does charge per minute for incoming calls on the pay as you go plan. Unlimited incoming is available for $5.95 per month.

Quote from: tome on May 27, 2012, 07:23:13 PMSo this has me wondering....  I have Callcentric set up on SP2 for 911 service only at the moment (I pay $1.50/mo for this service).  Callcentric has a service called "Free Phone Number" where you can get a DID in the New York State area (http://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number).  I wonder, even if I don't live in NY State, if I get one of these could I use it to forward my incoming GV calls to in order to get CallerID with Name?

Great idea and great thinking, guys!  This would provide a very easy and free way for OBI GV users to receive free incoming CNAM, while still being able to use GV for outgoing calls.  [Since Callcentric states "CNAM is available to all Callcentric customers for any paid phone numbers on your account" I wonder if it will work on the free phone number account.  Please let us know if this works out as you expected.]

Nice one :)
pc44

Stewart

Quote from: pc44 on May 28, 2012, 06:37:42 AM
[Since Callcentric states "CNAM is available to all Callcentric customers for any paid phone numbers on your account" I wonder if it will work on the free phone number account.  Please let us know if this works out as you expected.]
Unfortunately, I'm fairly sure that you are correct.  A quick test showed no incoming CNAM.  Thanks for catching that.

N7AS

Quote from: Stewart on May 28, 2012, 08:04:08 AM
[Since Callcentric states "CNAM is available to all Callcentric customers for any paid phone numbers on your account" I wonder if it will work on the free phone number account.  Please let us know if this works out as you expected.]
Unfortunately, I'm fairly sure that you are correct.  A quick test showed no incoming CNAM.  Thanks for catching that.

Stewart,
I have some Free Callcentric DIDs and I can confirm that I got CNAM through one of them, although it was a wrong number anyway.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

tome

Quote from: Stewart on May 28, 2012, 08:04:08 AM

Callcentric support tells me that I should get CNAM with a Free Phone Number....
Below is their response to my inquiry.

"Hello,

To answer both questions, yes, given if you do acquire a Free Phone number (http://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number) from us, you should be able to receive incoming calls through that number (and as it stands right now, we are showing that you are using an Obi110, in which all incoming calls through that number will be sent there). In addition, you should be able to receive inbound CNAM information when receiving incoming calls through your free phone number.

If you have any other questions, please let us know."

pc44

Quote from: tome on May 28, 2012, 06:30:46 PMCallcentric support tells me that I should get CNAM with a Free Phone Number....

Hi Tom,

Thanks for this update, and thanks for contacting Callcentric to get a response from the horse's mouth, so to speak.  Unfortunately, when I tried to sign up, I was required to pay the $1.50/month 911 fee, even with the free account.  So, while this sounds like a great setup, it seems that anyone inside the US and Canada will be required to pay the monthly fee in order to use the Free DID option.

If you need the paid 911 service, this is still a good option.
pc44

tome

So if I do this, how do I forward incoming calls from GV to this Callcentric number in order to have CNAM appear on my phone?

Thanks,
Tom

pc44

Quote from: tome on May 28, 2012, 08:49:51 PM
So if I do this, how do I forward incoming calls from GV to this Callcentric number in order to have CNAM appear on my phone?

Tom,

Add your Callcentric number to your Google Voice account as a new forwarding number.  Then, configure Google Voice to forward all incoming calls to your Callcentric number.  Also, un-check Google Chat, so it is not selected as your forwarding device.

Once that is done, configure your OBI for Callcentric.  They have a configuration guide for the OBI with instructions on the Callcentric site.  Once that is done, you should be able to receive GV calls via the Callcentric service (with CNAM).  For outgoing calls, you will need to keep GV configured in the OBI.

Basically, you will have GV on SP1 and Callcentric on SP2 or vice-versa if you so choose.

Hope this makes sense,
pc44

RFord

If you un-checked Google Chat, would you be able to make outgoing calls via SP1 connected to GV?  I was under the impression that if un-checked, both incoming and outgoing would be disable on the OBi device.

Quote from: pc44 on May 29, 2012, 06:45:12 AM
Quote from: tome on May 28, 2012, 08:49:51 PM

Tom,

Add your Callcentric number to your Google Voice account as a new forwarding number.  Then, configure Google Voice to forward all incoming calls to your Callcentric number.  Also, un-check Google Chat, so it is not selected as your forwarding device.

Once that is done, configure your OBI for Callcentric.  They have a configuration guide for the OBI with instructions on the Callcentric site.  Once that is done, you should be able to receive GV calls via the Callcentric service (with CNAM).  For outgoing calls, you will need to keep GV configured in the OBI.

Basically, you will have GV on SP1 and Callcentric on SP2 or vice-versa if you so choose.

Hope this makes sense,
pc44

pc44

Quote from: RFord on May 29, 2012, 09:18:09 AMIf you un-checked Google Chat, would you be able to make outgoing calls via SP1 connected to GV?  I was under the impression that if un-checked, both incoming and outgoing would be disable on the OBi device.

Hmmm... you might be right.  I was attempting to only disable incoming ... not outgoing also.

Well, maybe someone can test and/or provide some feedback on that.  In the meantime, if un-checking Google Chat disables outgoing calls also, then perhaps the following method will work:

If leaving Google Chat checked in your Google Voice settings,

Click on Edit under Google Chat, then under Ring Schedule:
      Select Never ring on weekdays
      Select Never ring on weekends

Let us know how that works,
pc44

tome

I can verify this so far...

When I uncheck "Forward calls to:  Google chat" it does NOT effect my ability to dial out through Google Voice.  That still continues to work.

I already had E911 through Callcentric as I wanted E911 when I got my Obi and Callcentric was (one of) the cheapest at the time.  So, I have a free phone number (in a random NY area code) and wasn't required to pay anything for it.

I set up the new number as the number for Google Voice to forward calls to.  Now I am patiently waiting for a call  ;D   Will follow up when I determine if callerid with name is working or not...

tome

I got a call this morning and callerid with name came in!  Woohoo!!  I am now back in 1985 :)
Tom

pc44

Quote from: tome on June 02, 2012, 07:04:32 AM
I got a call this morning and callerid with name came in!  Woohoo!!  I am now back in 1985 :)
Tom

Haha 1985... terrific news though Tom.  Thank you for updating us on this!  It's good to know that --

1) OBI GV outgoing still works with Google Chat un-checked in GV settings, and
2) GV forwarded to Callcentric DID (w/911 fee) to OBI provides free incoming CNAM!!

Two good things to know.  Thanks for this info :)

pc44