News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What am I missing here. Obion app wireless outside LAN

Started by SomeDude, March 18, 2011, 06:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SomeDude

So I am at my vacation home on wireless. The obi is at my house. I certainly expected to connect (through obi network?) to my home from here. Am I missing something? Firewall? How does my app connect to obi?

Thanks

QBZappy

SomeDude,

The OBi app works in combination with a SIP softphone. Do you a softphone installed on your computer?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

yhfung

Quote from: SomeDude on March 18, 2011, 06:20:39 PM
So I am at my vacation home on wireless. The obi is at my house. I certainly expected to connect (through obi network?) to my home from here. Am I missing something? Firewall? How does my app connect to obi?

Thanks

Please let me know what you have done in settting up your OBiAPP, what kind of softphone that you are using?

YH
Hong Kong and China OBi Users Group
www.telecom-cafe.com

SomeDude

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the rush posting. Here's the situation.

My obi is at my home. Configured with one GV account (at the moment)
I am on my wifi at my cabin using the Obion app for Android.
When I tested my Obion on wifi at work - it was fine.
So either I have issues here at the cabin on wifi via Obion to my house - OR, with the current weather my obi might even possible be out with the power. (now that I really think about it)

Also, anyone here have actual step by step to configure an additional GV voice on Obi? I want to get my wife going too.

Thanks everyone, I know this is a pretty new product so some of the directions (or lack thereof) are making a *wee bit tough on us newbies.

SD

SomeDude

Well I think my vacation home ISP must be doing DPI or something with the network traffic. I cannot connect via Obion app on the wifi here to the Obi servers. It just sits here "acquiring service" and never connects. However, if I run some VPN magic on my droid, I can. Anyone have any other solution to prevent whatever is being blocked/mucked with en route to Obi? Does the ISP has visibility to the 'type' of traffic this is?

I think this might be a concern if Obion data is "visible" (not secure!) on the way to Obi servers. Or, is this obion supposed to be some handshake to my house via the internet to my obi at home?

Ugg

yhfung

I believe that the ISP that you are using at vacation home also provides voip service, then the ISP will block whatever voip packets which are not provided by its company.

The question is "Does the OBiON app have any means to avoid voip blocking such as changing default port number to other value in order to get rid of being block?"

Skype has done a very good job for voip anti-blocking task.

Does OBi have any way to avoid the blocking?

YH
Hong Kong and China OBi Users Group
www.telecom-cafe.com

SomeDude

Is this the part where I ask that the Obion app run on https?

lol