News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Data Activity LED is constantly blinking green

Started by Steam, July 16, 2012, 09:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steam

Hi all,
I have configured the OBi110 for Google Voice, and it works great. But now I have to power cycle the device almost every day in order it to work perfectly, as long I see my OBi110 data activity LED is rapidly blinking green (no phone is used). Then I know I cannot call out or outside cannot call in.
Can someone please help me out why the data activity LED is rapidly blinking even no phone is used? I have a AT&T 6Mbs DSL service, I have no issue to use GV at all, the sound quality is excellent when it works. Please help!

Thank you

Ostracus

When you log into your system's status page what does it say under status for your GV provider when you see the rapidly blinking activity light?

Steam

When the data activity LED is rapidly blinking in the Obi110 device, I even cannot login to the device. What's more, it also effect all my wired computers Ethernet connection, but not effect the wireless connection. My two computers wired to my router cannot go online, but my laptop use wireless can go online. I see my router and modem activity LED rapidly blinking for the port that connected to the OBi110 device. In order I have Ethernet connection back, I have to power cycle the OBi110 device. It works everytime once power cycle. Now I can login to the system's status page, it shows SPI Service Status: Connected.
It never had this issue before, it started about a month ago. I will try again wen the OBi110 device data activity rapidly blinking and try to login to the system's status page. Will let you know.

Thank you

pc44

Hi Steam,

You might try changing the port speed on your OBI using the phone attached to the OBI.  It might help. :)  It might not help. :(  Here are the instructions copied straight from a RonR post:

"You might try changing the OBi Ethernet port from 10 mb/s half-duplex to 100 mb/s full duplex to see if that helps:

1. Dial *** 0

2. Enter option 27 and press #

3. Press 1 to set a new value

4. Enter a value of 1 and press #

5. Press 1 to confirm/save

6. Hang up

7. Wait for the OBi to reboot"

Trev

This sounds a lot like a network loop.

I would suggest you check your wiring and make sure you don't have your switch plugged back into itself somewhere, or if you have two switches that there is only ONE cable between the two -- two cables will cause this problem.
In Canada and looking for an OBi?
https://www.acrovoice.ca/obistore/

ely62

I'm seeing this too. I had my OBI110 for about 10 days now and had to power cycle it 4 or 5 times because of this issue. The data activity ports stars to blink continuously I can't figure out why.

Shale

Does anybody's  Ethernet Activity light *not* blink continually?

danaflo

I have had this problem from the getgo with one of my obi110 boxes FOR ABOUT 7 MONTHS. No one has been able to help.
This product works great when it works. BUT ITS RELIABILITY ABSOLUETLY SUCKS. ITS LIKE PLAYING SCHARADES!
ANYONE WHO USES THIS DEVICE FOR PHONE SERVICE FOR THIER BUSISNESS IS CRAZY!!

danaflo

CHANGING PORT SPEED DOESNT DO S__t .  Dont waste your time!

zapattack

This can also be caused  by an error in format of Dial Maps or Call Routes.
If restarting clears the trouble, but it comes back after making a call, it would be a good idea to reset everything (except provider info) back to default and re-enter the data carefully.

ipse

Quote from: Shale on February 13, 2013, 11:57:53 PM
Does anybody's  Ethernet Activity light *not* blink continually?
Mine only blinks maybe once every 30sec or so when it sends updates. I would check the broadcast status in your network - any machine plugged into the same port (ex a laptop) should see the same port activity and looking at the Eth adapter status you could see if this is traffic accounted for.
There is always Wireshark on the laptop if you feel like CSI :)
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

danaflo

This can also be caused  by an error in format of Dial Maps or Call Routes.
If restarting clears the trouble, but it comes back after making a call, it would be a good idea to reset everything (except provider info) back to default and re-enter the data carefully.

NOT THE CASE!!! I NEVER FIDDLED WITH ANY SETTINGS. EVEN RESET IT TO DEFAULTS AND IT STILL HAS THIS DISEASE!!!

Shale

Mine blinks every second or two. Works great. I am not worried.

Edit: I did install Wireshark on one of my computers. The ARP traffic seems to explain my blinking. Even my TV and thermostat are sending ARP packets. The devices sure have a short memory about what MAC is associated with each IP. That ARP traffic pretty much explains my blinking. Thanks ipse.

ipse

Quote from: danaflo on February 17, 2013, 06:38:29 PM
NOT THE CASE!!! I NEVER FIDDLED WITH ANY SETTINGS. EVEN RESET IT TO DEFAULTS AND IT STILL HAS THIS DISEASE!!!
You know, we're all here users like you...not sure if you tried the troubleshooting steps I suggested before pushing CAPS LOCK. :)
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

danaflo

Cap locks were intended. Oh guesS what, I just looked at my obi110, ITS OFFLINE...THE DATA LIGHT IS BLINKING RAPIDLY AGAIN!

Shale

Quote from: ipse on February 18, 2013, 09:06:51 AM
You know, we're all here users like you...not sure if you tried the troubleshooting steps I suggested before pushing CAPS LOCK. :)
I understand how you could have thought somebody posting here would be interested in troubleshooting. Anyway, I found it to be informative.

qdsmith

I've been working through a similar issue with tech support. Following a reboot or power loss, the Obi110 would occasionally come up normally. More often, I found it with the Ethernet LED flickering, the phone LED off, and the device unreachable on the network. I'm still watching the beast, but after ~24 hours and a couple dozen power cycles I believe the following may have resolved the issue...

Reset the Obi to factory defaults
Set the Ethernet port to 100Mb FDX, if desired
Remove the device from the obitalk.com portal and re-add it
Make any configuration changes from the expert option on the portal

This may work if all changes are done on the device as well, haven't tested that yet. In my case I believe it was using both the portal and local menus to make changes that caused the problem. It appears that this has also resolved issues with local changes reverting to defaults on reboot.

zapattack

local changes reverting to defaults on reboot
Frustrating until you figure it out. If Obi can push stuff, they should also learn how to read changes back.
I chose to turn of ALL Auto Provisioning options.
My 110 will not work with the FDX option. Power light just blicks with no Ethernet activity at all.

qdsmith

Quote from: zapattack on February 21, 2013, 11:28:20 PM
local changes reverting to defaults on reboot
Frustrating until you figure it out. If Obi can push stuff, they should also learn how to read changes back.

Indeed. To follow up on my previous post, after two days without issue the Obi110 is again going offline after reboot with the data LED flashing. A factory reset and reconfig (with auto-provisioning disabled this time) hasn't helped. Dumping to a syslog server shows nothing unusual. Wireshark isn't seeing anything from the Obi when it is in this state. Dialog with tech support has stalled at "We looked at the device and it is online..." after swapping out the switch, fiddling with port speed & duplex, etc. The warranty runs in two days, and it doesn't appear likely this will be resolved in that time.

It is, I believe, time to bin the beast and move on. I bought it to use as an FSX/FXO for my Asterisk server. I just dumped AT&T, don't need the FXO anymore and reliable ATAs are a dime a dozen. Too bad, the Obi really is a slick piece of hardware. That isn't much good if the device can't recover from power loss without having to cycle it a dozen times.

zapattack

A factory reset and reconfig (with auto-provisioning disabled this time)
...and ObiTalk Provisioning!!!
Remember the dashboard Expert Configuration Menu has the ObiTalk Default checkmarks.
I thought ObiTalk was a totally separate feature, but now I am not so sure what it means.