News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

“stutter” dial tone for Google Voice message indication

Started by Agate, March 23, 2011, 02:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agate

Updated to 1.2 firmware today, have a new GV message waiting, but I don't hear the stutter dial-tone. Plugged in a phone that has the ability to show message waiting, but no message waiting indication. Is there something that needs to be enabled in the Obi-110 to enable this feature?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Key 1.2 features include enhancements for:
Google Voice™
Google Voice voicemail message indication on the phone attached to the OBi
- When there are new or unheard messages in the user's Google Voice voicemail box, the attached telephone's message waiting indicator lamp and/or new message display icon will light up. Also a "stutter" dial tone will be heard on the telephone indicating a new or unheard message.

QBZappy

Agate,

Hi

Enable the following in this section of the OBi web page: SP1 or SP2 where the GV account is setup

Voice Services->SP1 Service->Calling Features->

MWIEnable      
X_VMWIEnable
MessageWaiting
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Agate

Thanks, works perfectly!

Both the stutter dialtone and the Message Waiting Indicator (MWI).

jimates

Quote from: QBZappy on March 23, 2011, 02:26:59 PM
Agate,

Hi

Enable the following in this section of the OBi web page: SP1 or SP2 where the GV account is setup

Voice Services->SP1 Service->Calling Features->

MWIEnable      
X_VMWIEnable
MessageWaiting
the third one "MessageWaiting" isn't really a setting, it is a display of state. If you do have a message waiting it will be indicated by the check next to "MessageWaiting". If not, the check will not be there. So checking that box will force the MWI momentarily, even if no message is available.

joeonetime

I upgraded to the latest firmware, and am using my OBI100 with Google Voice.  When I receive a voicemail, the VM Indicator on my phone is activated - but even if I delete the voicemail (either through the web, or through the phone interface) - the VM Indicator doesn't turn off. 

Has anyone else experienced this?

rspray

Quote from: joeonetime on April 04, 2011, 02:43:57 PM
I upgraded to the latest firmware, and am using my OBI100 with Google Voice.  When I receive a voicemail, the VM Indicator on my phone is activated - but even if I delete the voicemail (either through the web, or through the phone interface) - the VM Indicator doesn't turn off. 

Same here, it has indicated a new message for a week now when all messages have been archived.  Solution?

rspray

Fixed (for me).  Unchecked the box in G. Voice settings called "Send Missed Calls to Inbox"  My missed calls were causing the message indicator.

Citrine

Quote from: rspray on April 05, 2011, 08:52:55 AM
Quote from: joeonetime on April 04, 2011, 02:43:57 PM

Same here, it has indicated a new message for a week now when all messages have been archived.  Solution?

I'm having the same problem as well. Someone else mention "Unchecked the box in G. Voice settings called "Send Missed Calls to Inbox". This box was never checked in my settings. I tried unplugging the Obi and that did not work either...

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Citrine

OK, my message waiting indicator (MWI) eventually did stop blinking about a half hour later. With Comcast and Verizon Wireless the message waiting indicator went away in about 10 seconds?! Has anyone else had a delay in the MWI stopping?

S--F

Yeah it takes about 1/2 hour to clear. Some times less, some times more. I hope this is something that can be fixed with a firmware update.

freetalk

If you check your voicemail through OBi device, the status should be cleared pretty soon. Since there is no notification from GoogleVoice on voicemail changes, delay is expected if you archive your voicemail from Web, or using other phones.

S--F

Nope. It doesn't matter. It takes quite a bit of time if I check voicemails from either the phone or the web.

Dav3yDark0

My experience so far is that clearing the MWI varies. I have had it clear in a few minutes a couple times and other times it has taken longer, about a half hour. I do notice that the MWI also happens when I have unread SMS messages in my GV inbox, and the time seems to vary on clearing those too.

Dave

S--F

I've still got a MWI after close to 24 hours. I have even archived all messages from the GV web interface.

conlifj@gmail.com

Quote from: S--F on April 10, 2011, 04:57:57 AM
I've still got a MWI after close to 24 hours. I have even archived all messages from the GV web interface.
[/quote

Having the very same problem, since firmware update, new voice mail shows up on my VTECH phone and would not move. Done every else previously listed no luck. please help if possible.

RonR

Quote from: conlifj@gmail.com on June 09, 2011, 09:42:48 AM
Quote from: S--F on April 10, 2011, 04:57:57 AM

Having the very same problem, since firmware update, new voice mail shows up on my VTECH phone and would not move. Done every else previously listed no luck. please help if possible.

FWIW, the Visual Message Waiting Indicator on my Vtech DS-6321 is very responsive with my Google Voice account.  It appears in less than a minute after a message is left and disappears less than a minute after I retrieve it.

I have the following related settings:

Voice Services -> SP1 service -> MWIEnable : (checked)
Voice Services -> SP1 service -> X_VMWIEnable : (checked)
Voice Services -> SP1 service -> MessageWaiting : (unchecked) (Default unchecked)

infin8loop

Just a reminder that Google Voice message indication doesn't work when you use Google 2-Step Verification.  I knew it didn't work (saw mention of this in documentation) but nevertheless had the "Google Voice Voicemail Notification" box checked on the OBiTalk portal.  Google Voice was and is still working fine.  I started a Syslog early this morning for the OBi to look at some other issues and immediately noticed regular activity in the log trying to login to Google which ultimately led to a line in the log reading "GTALKVM:Google Login failed!".  Again the connection to Google appeared to be fine in OBiTalk portal and calls could be made and received.  Then it dawned on me that perhaps if I unchecked the "Google Voice Voicemail Notification" box (actually I unchecked the OBiTalk portal box AND MWIEnable and X_VMWIEnable locally since I have auto refresh disabled).  After rebooting the OBi the syslog shows a line reading "GTALKVM:VM is not enabled" and no more unneccessary regular activity in the log leading to the "GTALKVM:Google Login failed!".  To me it appears that GTALKVM regulary polls to see if there are messages waiting (if these boxes are checked) and was failing to login to Google because I am using Google 2-Step Verification and the OBi can't handle it. However the OBi handles the "special" 2-step Verification password that I generated (not my regular gmail password) just fine to establish the Google Voice connection.

Update: After unchecking  MWIEnable and X_VMWIEnable and rebooting I now see a message appearing in the syslog every 2 minutes (or longer) reading "PNNCOMM:Receive sync req, set auto config".  Probably normal but this message was not appearing before. If anyone else runs a syslog and uses Google Voice and Google 2-Step Verification please let me know if this is what you see as well.  Thanks.
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

jonsid

I found that if I get a text message on my Google number and I don't read it right away, after a while I will get a message waiting light and stutter tone on my phone.  I like this, however, but I wonder if this is something everyone else is getting.  I then go to my PC and read and delete the message but then have to call mailbox from my phone for light to go out.  Maybe if I wait long enough the light will go out on it's own after I read the text message.

Update: Certain conditions have to be met in my situation for the message light to be blinking: I have to be signed out of GV, computer in hibernation (or so I think) and block anonymous calls enabled in Obi (*77) BEFORE someone sends me a text message.  Later, when I see the light blinking I turn on computer, sign in to GV, mark message as read, go to my phone and call mailbox, then hang up.  Light stops blinking in less than 15 seconds. Whew!

RonR

I've also found that receiving a text message in my Google Voice account leaves the Message Waiting Indicator stuck on in the OBi even after the text message is deleted from my Google Voice account and it will not reset on it's own.  It's not clear whether this is the fault of Google Voice or the OBi.