News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to enter IP address on phone menu? -- Solved

Started by newbobr4, February 13, 2011, 08:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbobr4

I want to setup my new Obi110 with static routes as I have no dhcp.
First, I found out I can't enter in the IP address using the phone menu unless the ethernet cable is unplugged. This is undocumented, and very sneaky.
Second, How would I enter the IP address 148.163.1.33 into the phone menu??? Their is no period or decimal point on my phone keypad. If I try to enter in leading zeroes to pad out the address - like 148163001033 this is considered an invalid value.
Is there a certain keyboard map you are supposed to use to enter in the values into the phone menu?
What value do I enter to set the Obi110 to static addressing instead of  dhcp? I assume I enter static, but it only offers dhcp as a value in the voice menu.

MichiganTelephone

Did you try turning off DHCP first?  I would think that would allow you to enter an IP address from the phone.

Also, typically the * key is used to represent the decimal point.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

newbobr4

Quotetypically the * key is used to represent the decimal point.
Thanks MichiganTelephone, that allowed me to enter the static IP address, using the voice menu. It also automatically turns off dhcp when you enter your own IP address.
Then I just had to change the gateway, DNS server, and netmask using the voice menu. After that I was able to register my Obi110 device on the internet.

Hopefully, someone from Obitalk will add two items to the Administrators Manual.

• Use the "*" key for the periods of dots in IP addresses using the phone menu.
  • Unplug the ethernet cable before trying to set the static IP address (for initial setup only, I assume).

padams

In my router the DHCP was enabled and I connected the Obi110 to one of the router port. The Obi110 did not get an IP Address. Hence I disabled the DHCP in the router and created a static IP Address. I entered this IP address in the voice menu of OBi110. I am not able to access the device from the browser using the IP Address.

When I press the ***1 the OBi110 tells me the IP Address. If I press  **3 it says DHCP disabled. How do I enter the gateway, DNS server, and netmask using the voice menu ? My Obi110 is not getting an IP Address. If I enter one it is not accessible. Please help.

RonR

You don't need to disable DHCP in your router in order to use a static IP address on a device connected to the router.  You should choose static IP addresses which are outside the DHCP pool range to avoid possible conflicts, but static and dynamic IP assignment can be used together.

Telephone-IVR-Based Local Configuration is described in the OBi Device Administration Guide (OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf) starting on page 17.

You first said "When I press the ***1 the OBi110 tells me the IP Address."  Then you said "My Obi110 is not getting an IP Address. If I enter one it is not accessible."  Those statements seem to conflict with one-another.

I would highly recommend you re-enable DHCP in the router and try to let the OBi use it.  That's by far the easiest arrangement and works in virtually all circumstances.

Could the ethernet port you're using on your router be bad?  Do other devices work properly connected to that same port?

padams

My router's DHCP is enabled. I have connected 2 laptops wirelessly and a OOMA device directly to the router. Everthing works fine. After I connect the Obi110, the LED blinks green (as per Quick start guide Obi is looking for DHCP IP Address). When I used the voice menu the following were the responses.

***1 "Basic Network Status: Your IP Address is not available, Your DHCP is enabled"
***2 "Advanced Network Status: Your Primary DNS Server is not available. Your backup DNS Server is your primary"
***3 "DHCP current value is enabled. Press 1 to enter new value. Press 2 to set default value"
***4  "IP Address current value is not available Press 1 to enter new value. Press 2 to set default value"

I tried the following:
Disabled DHCP in Router - assigned static IP for Obi110 by entering MAC Address of Obi110 - entered the same IP in Obi110 using Voice menu - LED stopped blinking - pressed ***1 to confirm the IP address

Entered the IP address in browser and could not access the device page. Also dialing a test call did not work.

Now I reset to factory settings and getting the same responses as above when I press ***1,2,3,4 and LED blinks green.

I am really disappointed that the device could not pickup an IP address just like Ooma.

RonR

I've yet to hear of anyone getting a bad unit so far, but someone has to be the first.  I hope it's not you.

OBiSupport

Here is the instruction to set a static IP.

Step 1. Disable dhcp
main menu, press 3
enter new value 0# press 1 to save

hangup, let OBi reboot.

Step 2. Press *** 4 to enter ip
192*168*0*10#

hangup to let OBi reboot.

Step 3. To enter Default gateway, press ***0, option 22
Step 3. To enter subnet mask, press ***0, option 23
Step 4. To enter DNS Server, press ***0, option 24

You can use any public DNS server, as long as it's a valid one.
For example, you can use 4.2.2.2

Once you have set the IP address to static, make sure that
everything is okay:
- Open OBi's IP address.
- Try calling **9 222 222 222

-Obihai Support Team

OBi-Guru

@padams: Your Airlink AR680 wireless router has a bad firmware and requires an upgrade from Airlink.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=436.0

QBZappy

Using Skype as our form of communication, tonight I helped someone setup an OBi unit in Bolivia. We used the phone attached to the OBi to configure the initial setup of the OBi. I condensed the instructions down to this. Basically taken from OBiSupport's post enhanced with a more complete description of what to press on the phone. I thought it might help others if they needed to support someone remotely to make the initial setup in the similar way. When language and distance is a barrier it is good to have clear written explanation of the steps. You could copy and paste this and send it over the chat feature of your favorite IM.

You will probably have to walk them through these steps.
First get info on the local network. In this case the person was on a Windows computer. Ask them to go to DOS prompt and type ipconfig. Get  at least the gateway router address and the sub net mask. Armed with this info you will know what IP address you will be giving to your OBi. In this case it was in the common 192.168.1.x range.

Then I made her follow the recipe.

1) To enter IP address on the OBi
press ***4 Then 1 to enter new value Then press 192*168*1*5# Then 1 to save

2) To enter Default gateway
press ***0, option 22# press 1 to enter new value then type 192*168*1*1# Then 1 to save

3) To enter subnet mask,
press ***0, option 23# press 1 to enter new value then type 255*255*255*0# Then 1 to save

4) To enter DNS Server
press ***0, option 24# press 1 to enter new value then type 216*137*96*98# Then 1 to save (Any working DNS server will do)

I can confirm that the OBi works in Bolivia. Voice quality was not the greatest. Internet service is very expensive in that country. I believe this person was using ADSL under 1 Mbit/s. I suspect that was the reason for the quality of the call.

I wonder what is the lowest bandwidth the OBi (SIP) can operate on and give acceptable call quality.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

JohnLennon

For VoIP quality of the line and latency are more important than throughput. Once you get just 256 KB/s (up/down) you can handle 2 simultaneous VoIP calls at a good quality with bandwidth for data too. I installed in this configuration 2 weeks ago, my in-laws have a business and decided to switch to VoIP without consulting me. After I upgraded their router to a more modern one (4 years old with QoS I had laying around vs the 8 yeard old they had) the quality improved without choppiness.

At first I thought the chances were slim with a naked DSL (dry loop) capped at 256Kb up/down, but the first set of tests for VoIP showed actually the quality was good.

I recommend this VoIP quality test http://myspeed.visualware.com/servers/namerica/iad.php?testtype=-1&codebase=mcsiad.visualware.com

In some cases a simple speed test insn't good: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ as it only measure bandwidth, not latency, packets lost, consistent stream of data, etc.

There is more but this would be a good start for your friend.

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

plugger2

Quote from: QBZappy on March 23, 2011, 10:23:04 PM
I wonder what is the lowest bandwidth the OBi (SIP) can operate on and give acceptable call quality.

Depends on the codec being used. G729 and G729a are much more efficient with respect to bandwidth usage than G711a or G711u, for example. G729 also has the advantage of being more tolerant of jitter/lost packets etc. I generally use G729 or G729a as my default codec for VoIP.

MichiganTelephone

I'll agree that G729 can be useful as a codec of last resort when you have seriously constrained bandwidth, but I disagree with plugger2 in that I would not used it unless there was no other way that would work.  I personally think G729 has mediocre to horrible sound quality.  I use only G711 and several users of our Asterisk server have commented on how clear the calls are.  Unless you are running under serious bandwidth constraints, or you don't mind your calls having only bad cell phone quality, I'd personally avoid G729 like the plague.  Not saying what anyone else should do, but that's how I feel about it.

In fact, I wish that the OBi's offered support for a wideband codec, in particular G722 as used in Asterisk (not g722.1 or g722.2, which are not supported by Asterisk). While some folks think that would be useless because phones aren't designed to handle anything above 4,000 Hz, I don't think that's necessarily true, otherwise a landline phone company would not have to give DSL customers a filter to put in their phone's connecting cable. The purpose of that is to filter out higher frequency tones (the DSL data stream) that would otherwise be heard, which are above 4000 Hz!  So while a wideband codec might not offer the same improvement that it would on a phone designed from the start for wideband audio, I think it would offer at least some improvement.

EDIT: I'm going to copy this last paragraph to the feature request forum and if anyone wants to further discuss this let's do it there, so we don't hijack this thread.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.