News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

syslog and ddns for logging

Started by rsriram22, October 09, 2012, 02:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsriram22

i can try and test this out myself, yet thought would ask if someone knows regarding logging to remote PC/server  (across internet) using ddns alias and not IP for syslog in obi ..?

EDIT: Obi support got back to me saying
"
Please continue to use IP address for syslog server.
We don't do DNS lookup for "Syslog Server"

"

So IP address works and not any 'host name'..
have two 100s and one 110

QBZappy

rsriram22,

In the location where you plan to set up the syslog server, you need
1) Set up OBi sysloger client on the far away OBi unit
2) Your IP or DDNS name pointing to your router
3) Local router port forwarding the default port 514 to the computer where the syslog server resides

There are many syslog servers out there. This one is particularly good for sip traces.
http://wallwatcher.com/
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

rsriram22

ddns name is not working for syslog server; But IP name is.... Any workaround for this. I d like to be able to give an ddns name for syslog server as the server has DHCP by ISP..

Anyone succesful with DDNS entry share how they did it?

tks

QBZappy

Are you certain that you did port forwarding correctly? You can test your ddns by using the 'ping' command. If it does not return your wan ip address, then your ddns may not be working as you might expect.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

rsriram22

yes i fwd-ed the port correctly. i can ping the ddns host name as well. in fact i copied the IP it is resolving to into the syslog server entry and everything works just great!

it's just that the ddns hostname as syslog server in obitalk wont log any entries.....

rsriram22

host names are not supported - please look at my first post for obi's response on this..

deviantintegral

Just a note that this is still a problem on the 1.3.0 firmware. Even if it's not feasible to support DNS lookups, it'd be great to at least have the help text indicate it's IP only.