News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Your Google Voice Number Now Rings Multiple OBi-Attached Telephones

Started by QBZappy, November 13, 2012, 09:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

Hot off the press:

OBi202 Pre-Release Software Rings Multiple OBi's from a Single Google Voice Number and Receives Text Messages to the Attached Phones Too!

http://blog.obihai.com/2012_11_01_archive.html

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

CoalMinerRetired

Nice find.

They state "...use the OBiTALK web portal to set up two or more ..." Do we know if there is something special about the portal needed to make this work, will it work using manual setup?

QBZappy

CoalMinerRetired,

Obihai pushes users to use the portal to configure the units, however to date the unit web page has had the ability to control 100% of the features, while the portal is lacking a few (Call history, config upload, etc). I suspect this a major feature addition, worthy of being controlled via both portal and unit web pages. Anything Google Voice related is a marketing departments dream come true. ShermanObi (marketing) must be salivating at the prospect of selling more units because of this feature. Seems odd that it goes counter current with the OBiPLUS service that they are offering. It is the first time that support is officially offered for concurrent use of Google Talk and OBi (GV).
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Bay11

I have the text message feature working. Tested with a few SMS Text messages.

However, one important point I initially over looked in the blog1 announcement -- you must enable the feature first in web portal. Simply upgrading your firmware alone will not enable the texting feature.  

To enable this feature,
1) Click on 'Device Configuration', in the OBiTALK web portal

2) Scroll down to the 'Configure Voice Service Providers (SP#)' section on the web page.

3) Select the 'Google Voice' account you want to configure by clicking on the configure icon.

3) Once in the "SP#:  Google Voice™ Account" area of your OBi202 Device Configuration, in the OBiTALK web portal you will see a new option,
"Google Text Message Notification" (Optional), click the check box option to enable this feature on the OBi202.

Other notes: On my phone2, the call rings with "Incoming Call" displayed (no text message yet).
I then have to go back into CID history to see the short message excerpt.

:) The new "Text Messages to Your Regular Home Phone" option is a nice feature to receive two-factor3 account authorization text messages from various internet sites for login authentication.

1. Blog announcement link -> http://blog.obihai.com/2012_11_01_archive.html
2. My phone is a cordless Panasonic DECT phone.
3. Two-factor authentication -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-factor_authentication#SMS_one_time_password

QBZappy

Quote from: Bay11 on November 14, 2012, 10:31:38 AM
3) Once in the "SP#:  Google Voice™ Account" area of your OBi202 Device Configuration, in the OBiTALK web portal you will see a new option,
"Google Text Message Notification" (Optional), click the check box option to enable this feature on the OBi202.

Do also you see this ability to configure the Google Text message in the OBi unit web page, or is it limited to the portal only?

Bay11

Yes! it is in the OBI202 local and expert web page admin under:

Voice Services >> SP# Service  >>  "Calling Features" - section >> X_SMSNotify
(Checked to enable)

Help bubble info:
"Ring FXS and display SMS as callerid when Google Voice receive a SMS message"

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Bay11 on November 14, 2012, 10:31:38 AM
1. I have the text message feature working. Tested with a few SMS Text messages.

2. The new "Text Messages to Your Regular Home Phone" option is a nice feature to receive two-factor3 account authorization text messages from various internet sites for login authentication.
1. Very nice. I love playing around with these cool new features like this.

2. Provided you don't lose something that scrolls beyond the 20 character CID. I guess as a fall back GV keeps the messages, marks then as SMS, places in your inbox, but I have never checked.

CaptainSteubing

I've just loaded this up on my OBi and not having much luck with the SMS feature. I have it enable via the Device Configuration (Voice Services/SPX Service/X_SMSNotify), get the text in my GV Inbox and iPhone App, but nothing on the phone connected to the Obi.

Oh well seems like a good feature if only I could use it. :(

Bay11

Quote from: CaptainSteubing on November 14, 2012, 03:38:27 PM
I've just loaded this up on my OBi and not having much luck with the SMS feature. I have it enable via the Device Configuration (Voice Services/SPX Service/X_SMSNotify), get the text in my GV Inbox and iPhone App, but nothing on the phone connected to the Obi.

Try enabling via the OBItalk portal and not the expert route and see if it will work.

VGupta

@CaptainSteubing

Did you check to make sure that your Google Voice settings have the Forward text messages to may email" box checked?

http://blog.obihai.com/2012/11/obi202-pre-release-software-rings.html

QuotePlease also note that your Google Voice settings must have the "Text Forwarding" option box checked. This setting is in the "Voicemail & Text" area.

CaptainSteubing

@Bay11: I'll have to try that, although I'll lose my entire config; but it's worth a shot.

@VGupta: Thanks, I'd overlooked that small note in the , just re-enabled it, I get my notification in my GMail account associated with my GV account, but still doesn't seem to be getting to the phone attached to the Obi. Bummer. :(

I'll keep playing. Thanks for the suggestions.

giqcass

I just asked for a feature like this in the feature request forum.  Someone said they don't read it but maybe they are listening.  This is a feature I really wanted.   I wonder if it works better with a text message enabled home phone.  Those are sold in limited markets overseas. Time to go to bed tonight.  I'll be testing this tomorrow.
Long live our new ObiLords!

mrjoe

I just tried it and it seems to display the first message sent from each number every time they send a message?
I sent myself "Hello" and no matter what message I sent afterwards it would always say hello together with the number it was sent from with an extra digit for the number of SMS so far received from that number.
Am I doing something wrong?

Bay11

Quote from: mrjoe on November 18, 2012, 06:58:05 PM
...I sent myself "Hello" and no matter what message I sent afterwards it would always say hello together with the number it was sent from....

I just noticed this with GV happening sometimes as well...  ???

giqcass

I have not set anything up using the OBIHAI web portal.  I set everything VIA my 202 local IP because I don't like sharing my passwords unnecessarily.  It only took one extra check box to enable this feature. The ring comes through quickly. Unfortunately I receive the first message the person sent each time that person sends a new message instead of the new message.  Since my primary desire was to receive notifications of text messages I'm still very happy with this new feature and I can't wait for all the bugs to get ironed out.  
I haven't tried GTalk Simultaneous Ring yet.

I would love to have the ability to change the ring for text message notifications on the final release.
I would also like to be able to turn off the text message count that follows the caller number.

giqcass

I think receiving the text from the 1st message from the same person being repeated might be the result of message threading.  A thread is the whole conversation.  All of the texts within a certain time frame are stitched together.  When they grab the text they are getting the whole thread and only pulling out the first message.

sinergy

Im guessing this isn't sent as a sip message. I have a sip phone proxy on the 202 trying to find away to get it to forward on to the phone