News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Mystery reboots Obi 110 build 2774

Started by ProfTech, February 13, 2013, 07:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfTech

I began noticing what appear to be mystery reboots / crashes of my unit starting with 2765. The symptom is the UpTime shows 12:13:23 or what ever but there is no reboot code. I have opened a ticket with Obi twice and their only answer is for me to run syslog and try to trap it myself. I haven't been looking at the unit or on the phone when it happened yet that I know of but it has happened 5 or 6 times that I know of, on two different Obi's. Was wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

CoalMinerRetired

I am noticing mystery reboots (no code after uptime field).  This is an an Obi202, with the newest Firmware.  I get about two days of uptime. 

On the n-1 firmware (or maybe it was the n-2 version), I could go 30 or 40 days with no reboot (and the reboost that did happen were manual due to config changes I tweaked).  On the 202 it's becoming both concerning and critical because twice in the last week it rebooted within 60 seconds of my placing a call, both calls to a GV SP.

I know you asked about an Obi110, I'll have to check an 110, it gets less use than a 202.

RFord

On my OBi110, I was getting reboots every 24-hours due to the Firmware check function being enabled.  Since turning that feature off, I have not experienced any such reboot of the OBi110.

ProfTech

All Auto Provisioning is disabled. Only thing remotely connected to ObiHai is Voice Services -> ObiTalk Service -> Enable -> Checked. So I can make & receive Obi calls if desired.

QBZappy

I think these are some possible reasons for un/scheduled reboots:

Network issues
Auto Provisioning
X_AcceptResync (May want to set this one to 'NO', if you configure yourself)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

CoalMinerRetired

> X_AcceptResync (May want to set this one to 'NO', if you configure yourself)
I note the help/tool tip in the browser/IP Address access mode says this:

QuoteAccept SIP NOTIFY with event=resync to reboot the device so it can download new configuration file. If authentication is required, the requestor must authenticate with the same AuthUserName and AuthPassword on this SIP

Choices are:
no
yes with authentication
yes without authentication (The Default)

It's not registering with me how this might work with GV, or any Voice Service for that matter. In any case, I'm gonna set to no in all four SPs and see what happens.

ProfTech

It looks like that field exists only in the 202. Anyway, I just got off the phone with ATT. My internet was not working last night. They said they had to re-route me over a new circuit. Hard to say how long there may have been an issue with it. I'll have to watch it and see if their fix stops the Obi from crashing. The weird thing is, since there is no reboot code I can't even be sure it is actually rebooting. Maybe something just crazy with the "Up Timer".

CoalMinerRetired

I'm 100% certain mine is rebooting.  If you have aay doubt, setup syslog. 

It's very easy to do, all you need is a computer on all the time you want to catch the logs entries.

See here for no cost syslog clients:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r27898113-Syslog-Server-Recommendations-

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: QBZappy on February 13, 2013, 08:13:19 PM
I think these are some possible reasons for un/scheduled reboots:

Network issues
Auto Provisioning
X_AcceptResync (May want to set this one to 'NO', if you configure yourself)

An interim uodate.  I changed the X_AcceptResync to No and my Obi202 is at 5 days, 8 hours of uptime. Since this is the only change I made, tentative conclusion is this makes a difference, and seems like the root cause of the problem. 

QBZappy

This sounds promising. I hope others having unexpected reboots can confirm same results.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

CoalMinerRetired

How incredibly frustrating. A few hours after I post this I get a random reboot.

How do I know it's random? No code on the uptime timestamp, and upon reboot I get an SMS text message alert from a txt received 48 hours ago. 

I observed the SMS notify feature not working at all, except upon reboot (random or otherwise) I get a short ring and a Caller ID message. And the notifys have been for older messages, not current ones.  Thinking there might be a connection, I disabled the SMS Notify on the two GV SPs in the unit. Will see how that goes.

ProfTech

Discovered that I had a duplicate IP on my network. Corrected that. Will have to monitor for a while. Also, I talked to a friend of mine yesterday who just bought a new Obi 100 and it came with build 2776 installed. 2774 is the latest available on the web page, however. I'm watching to see if they post anything else.

CoalMinerRetired

Follow up. I'm still in 'incredibly frustrating' mode, I'm getting random reboots anywhere from 24 to 36 hours.

Luckily, so far, none of the reboots have happened while on a call.

CoalMinerRetired

Another follow up with an interesting insight.

I still see no reboot reason code when viewed through the direct IP address mode. H0wever, when I export the configuration. and look at the XML export in MS Excel, I see reson code 91, as in "2 Days 10:10:37    (91)".

91 is not listed in the device admin manual, so you gotta wonder if this is some secret reboot reason code.

QBZappy

You should ask obi support for an explanation for what code 91 means.

ProfTech

That is interesting. I ran syslog for a couple of days but it never crashed. Since then, I have had other network issues not related to the Obi that either required me to reboot it, or an instance where we lost AC for a moment which caused my whole network to lose power. I would also like to know what the 91 means. Anyway, I saved my config a while back and did a paper clip factory restore. I have my fingers crossed but it seems to have possibly cured the situation. Time will tell.

CoalMinerRetired

I'm kind of like you in that I moved on to pursue this a different way. I did a factory reset on my Obi202, and reentered everything via the ObiTalk portal, which I plan to use until this gets revolved or goes away. And I want to see how the other half lives using the ObiTalk portal on a device under active configuration.

BTW, if you have any exports from the recent past, take a look and see if there's a mystery reboot code.  

Edit:
Another mystery on my Obi202, I see that it's now using "3.0.1 (Build: 3741)", whereas before it was on 3722.  Hum?  For those not on using the ObiTalk portal, I see this in the FirmwareURL field: "IF ( $FWV < 3.0.1.3741 ) FWU http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi202-3-0-1-3741.fw"  -- noticed via the Web Server-Based Local Configuration (Device IP address), not seen via the ObiTalk portal.

Note to self: Evidently when using the ObiTalk portal you get new firmware updates like this, without having to do anything or click anything, and before they are made available via ***6.  An educated guess is these updates are not new feature releases (or they'd be announced as such), they are bug fixes.

Ostracus

My Obi202 FW: 3.0.1 (Build: 3722)
If it ain't broke... ;D

ProfTech

Just when I thought it might be Ok... It looks like it rebooted last night with a code of 94 this time. "0 Days  8:46:21    (94)". Maybe I will try putting it back in the portal and see if it gets an update.

CoalMinerRetired

FYI, I've got a 110 managed via the portal. It's at "1.3.0 (Build: 2774)", haven't seen that firmware change like I did on a 202.