News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

USE SKYPE ON YOUR OBI: A HOW-TO GUIDE

Started by ccclapp, August 20, 2012, 02:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccclapp

INTRODUCTION:  The following is a how-to guide on setting up your OBIHAI phone for in/outgoing calls via Skype.  It assumes no prior experience and is written for users, like me, who are less savvy with telephony.  Virtually all the information contained below was first generated in a post by RonR.  Several users commented on and clarified some aspects of this.  I spent several hours working through the original, more advanced post.  I am writing this to give a step-by-step "idiot's guide" to be helpful to others.

OVERVIEW:  In a nutshell this guide will enable the user to place and receive calls on their OBIHAI via Skype.  It uses a free third-party software called SipToSis along with the implementation for the OBIHAI provided by RonR.  For your reference here is the original post:  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1196.0

PROCEEDURE:
1) Per RonR:
QuoteGo to http://www.mhspot.com/sts/siptosis.html and download SipToSis, Sip to Skype integration software.  Extract the archive to a folder named SipToSis.  Execute SipToSis_win.bat.  When activity has stopped, terminate SipToSis.

2)  In that downloaded folder edit two documents a) SkypeOutDialingRules.props and b) SkypeOutDialingRules.props by opening them in Notepad and at the very bottom of the specified document pasting the lines in bold below:

a.   SkypeOutDialingRules.props:

i.   [This is optional.  You are creating up to ninety-nine speed dials for Skype user IDs you may wish to call.  If you normally call land lines and don't need to reach users by their Skype ID you can omit this step.  You can also do it later]

Per RonR:
QuoteAdd up to 99 Skype UserID's as Speed Dials in SkypeOutDialingRules.props:

^1$:SkypeUserID1
^2$:SkypeUserID2
^3$:SkypeUserID3
^4$:SkypeUserID4

^96$:SkypeUserID96
^97$:SkypeUserID97
^98$:SkypeUserID98
^99$:SkypeUserID99

ii. Per RonB
QuoteAdd US/Canada dialing support in SkypeOutDialingRules.props:

^(1[2-9][0-9]{2}[2-9][0-9]{6})$:+$1
^011([0-9]{7,})$:+$1

b.   SkypeToSipAuth.props:

i.   You will need to configure your OBIHAI for a new "service provider" [the internal instructions within your OBIHAI set up] for use with Skype.  For this you need to add your OBIHAI's IP address to that configuration.  OBIHAI service providers are labeled SP1-SP4.  Likely, your SP1 is already set up for Google voice in which case you would use SP2, SP3 or SP4 for your Skype calls.  This guide will assume SP2.   [Note what you will be doing is setting up SP2 as SIP, however you do not need an actual sip account because siptosis replaces that in this instance].  Using notepad open the SkypeOutDialingRules.props file and then paste the following entry to the bottom after the last line of text:

*,sip:siptosis@192.168.1.150:5061,YourSkypeUserID    

NOTE: replace "192.168.1.150" with your OBIHAI's IP address which you can find by dialing *** and then "1" from the phone connected to the Obi.  Use either ":5060" if you are setting up SP1, or ":5061" if you are setting up SP2.  Normally you will use the latter.  If you're setting up SP3 or SP4 you'll have to research which port number to use.  Replace "YourSkypeUserID" with your actual Skype username.

ii.   There is an error in the provided file: at the bottom of the text there are two lines which read:
#Default: all incoming skype callers get the invalid destination message
*,play:clips/invalidDest.wav
   There should be a #added in front of the second line so it now reads:
#*,play:clips/invalidDest.wav
This error was pointed out by user Veronica, many thanks!

3) Everything from this point on you'll do to the OBIHAI.  There are two ways of doing this, one is to browse to your OBIHAI's IP address from your local computer, the other is to log onto OBItalk on the Internet and configure through that.  RonR prefers the local method but other posts including from OBIHAI tech support suggest everything should be done through OBItalk.  The following post explains this in more detail, but the gist of it is that anything you do in OBItalk overwrites custom settings done locally.  Therefore, some of the following description will differ slightly from what RonR wrote because it uses the OBItalk configurator.  See this post if you want to understand more about these differences:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=61.msg109#msg109

a)   As stated in the article there is one thing you can only do locally, which is to backup your existing configuration files.  This should be done first as follows:

i.   type your OBIHAI's IP address into your web browser in the same network where the OBIHAI resides.  It should take you to a login page requesting username and password.  Note: depending how your OBIHAI is set up (technically speaking whether you're coming in from the WAN or LAN side of its dual network plugs connections you may need to modify the default setting which prevents WAN access [even though we are actually coming into it locally, for some reason OBIHAI treats this as WAN access].  To enable WAN access on your OBIHAI phone press the following keys:  

* * * 0, then 30, then 1 if it is not enabled (to change it to being enabled)

ii.  Once you access the OBIHAI locally, type the default username and password which is admin/admin [unless you have changed it].

iii. Click system management on the left and then device update below that.  Then press the appropriate buttons to backup your user prompts and your backup configuration.  Under backup configuration I'm not sure which boxes to check.  If you're worried about that make more than one backup with different boxes checked.  You could also read more in the administration guide on this page if desired: http://www.obihai.com/docs-downloads.html

iv. Save those backup files in case you need to restore.  Note, if your OBIHAI is in default configuration you probably don't need to do this backup because on the same tab as where you backup you'll notice there's a button which will restore all default settings.  However, it good to know about this backup procedure because as you modify the OBIHAI you will likely want to make some backups along the way.

b)   Everything else will now be done in OBitalk.  Exit the local browser and Login to OBItalk and proceed as follows:

i.   Push blue button for OBIHAI expert configuration.  Click yes at the warning and click enter OBIHAI expert on the next page.  You will note the expert configuration is almost identical to the local configuration page where you backed up the user settings.  However, as stated above if you make changes in both locations the ones done in OBItalk will overwrite the ones done locally.  That is why we're configuring through OBItalk.

ii.   Add a Voice Gateway for dialing: Go to Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port [Phone 1, 2, or both depending which you want to configure for Skype.  I did it for phone 1] -> DigitMap : ...

Here you'll modify the entry.  You can either add the bold/underlined portion of the following notation to the end of your existing DigitMap text:

"...|#1(Mvg8)|(Mpli))",

Or, you can paste this entire entry replacing what you have now:

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]|[1-9][0-9]|911|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**3(Msp3)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|#1(Mvg8)|(Mpli))

iii.   Go to:  Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port [Phone 1, 2, or both depending which you want to configure for Skype.  I did it for phone 1] -> OutboundCallRoute : ...

Here you'll modify the entry.  You can either add the bold/underlined portion of the following notation to the end of your existing OutboundCallRoute:

... ...,{(<#1:>(Mvg8)):vg8},{(Mpli):pli}

Or, you can paste this entire entry replacing what you have now:

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**3:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(<#1:>(Mvg8)):vg8},{(Mpli):pli}

iv.   Go to Voice Services -> Gateways and Trunk Groups -> Voice Gateway8 and fill-in the lines as designated below:

Name : SipToSis

AccessNumber : SPx(Your-PC's-IP-address:5070)     // where x= the service provider # 1-4 you are configuring, and where  "Your-PC's-IP address" is the IP for local computer that will be running Skype, note: ": 5070" indicates the port number which siptosis will use.  5070 is the default.  Use it in less you know how and why to change it.

In the DigitMap field, copy/paste: (x|xx|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.)
where "aaa" is your local area code

AuthUserID : skypests   [note: use this actual user ID]

4.   On your computer open Skype and login to the same account as you provided above.  On that same computer go back to the siptosis downloaded folder and execute (double-click) the SipToSis_win.bat.  file.  Leave the siptosis DOS window open.

Incoming Skype calls should ring the OBi's PHONE Port in addition to Skype on your local computer.

To make a Skype outgoing call on your OBIHAI phone, dial #1 <Skype Speed Dial> # or #1 <Phone Number> #.  [Note: I'm not sure you need the final #after the number but this is how Ron wrote it so I'm repeating it that way]

If you did everything per this plan (and I made no errors copying and expanding upon Ron's instructions) everything should work.

5.   Repeat steps 3A, above to again backup your new OBIHAI configuration.  Remember you have to do this through the local browser access, not through OBItalk.  You may also want to backup the two files you edited from the siptosis downloaded folder.

Good luck, have fun and tell me if I screwed up.

azrobert

I used much easier method than RonR's, but has less functionality.
My requirements were simple.  I call a few Skype ID's and I don't use Skype to call landlines.
All I did was define a OBi Speed Dial for each Skype ID in the following format:

sp2(SkypeID@192.168.1.100:5070)

SkypeID is the Skype User Id you're calling.
192.168.1.100 is the IP address of the computer running the SipToSis Gateway.

No DigitMap changes.
No CallRoute changes.
No Voice Gateway definition.
No SipToSis Speed Dial defs.

To call a landline with RonR's method you would dial #1 <Phone Number>

Using my method you would have to setup an OBi Speed Dial def for each landline you want to call.

ccclapp

...thanks for that!

Does your config allow you to receive Skype calls on your obi? 
Do I understand correctly that anyone you call needs to be on a speed dial?

For many, what you are doing will be fine.

azrobert

Yes, you can receive Skype calls with my method using the same SkypeToSipAuth.Props definition as in your guide.

Every SkypeID and landline you want to call via SipToSis must be on a separate OBi speed dial.  That is a negative with my method.

Both methods can coexist and the same time.  If you are already setup using your guide, all you have to do to try my method is add an OBi speed dial.

EDKnet

Can anyone help me out here.

I have followed all the info in the thread. I can dial outboud to skype but incoming is not working for me.

I do not have any active SIP service but I did configure SIP on SP2 as mentioned in one on RonR's posts.

Here is what my siptosis log looks like when a Skype call is coming in.

2012-10-25 22:44:07,462 WAITING FOR INCOMING CALL
2012-10-25 22:44:07,464 skypeCallStatus[904909] - Complete: REFUSED
2012-10-25 22:44:09,409 callReceived - incoming Skype Call from:ABCnet4u [ABCnet
4u] status:RINGING
2012-10-25 22:44:09,411 callReceived - Direct Sip Dial to:sip:siptosis@192.168.1
.100:5061 from:"ABCnet4u" <sip:skypests@192.168.1.111:5070>
2012-10-25 22:44:09,412 UAC: CALLING sip:siptosis@192.168.1.100:5061
2012-10-25 22:44:09,412
Attempting call From:"ABCnet4u" <sip:skypests@192.168.1.111:5070> To:<sip:siptos
is@192.168.1.100:5061>
2012-10-25 22:44:09,416 skypeCallStatus[905037] - RINGING
2012-10-25 22:44:09,422 REFUSED (486:Busy Here)
2012-10-25 22:44:09,427 skypeCallStatus[905037] - Complete: REFUSED

I'm almost there I just need to get in-bound working.

Thank you.

Eli

kgjulie

I can get as far as logging into Expert Configuration in ObiTalk. However the interface does not let me make any changes to "Phone 1" under "Physical Interfaces." Some options are grayed out, but the "DigitMap" field is not. However, I cannot edit it.

Any suggestions?

95% of what I want to use my Obi202 for is Skype. The other 5% is faxing. So far I haven't gotten either to work, although my GV number (which I never use) is working fine. Somewhat disappointed with this purchase so far!

ianobi

To make a change to a value uncheck both boxes to the right of that value, leave them unchecked, make your changes, then press submit and wait for the OBi to reboot. Each page needs a submit/reboot before you move to another page. Leave a couple of minutes between reboots.

kyco

I have installed sipTosis and Java 1.7 on an XP box.  When I go to run sipTosis_win.bat, the batch file finds the Java path OK, but instead of running the java script the batch file returns the java command line help and then exits.  Any ideas what I am missing?

raczyk

Would Skype configuration work on a Obi100? Or is something with more options required?

cdelite

Just downloaded SipToSis and I am having the same problem as kyco.  I see no activity when I run SipToSis_win.bat; it just prints the help text for the java command and exits.  It's acting like there's a syntax error in the way the bat file is invoking java.  Perhaps Java's command line options have changed since 1.5?  (I am running 1.7.0_21)  Any hints appreciated.

cdelite

Update:  the problem I reported yesterday went away after I rebooted by computer.  So I still have no idea what caused the problem originally.  Possibly it was because I was already running Java for something completely unrelated when I started playing with SipToSis.

I got outgoing calls (Obi -> Skype) working fine using Obi speed dials, and will probably test incoming calls over the weekend.  One thing I hope to accomplish is to allow specific incoming Skype callers to access the Obi attendant so they can call landlines and mobiles via Google Voice.

If this all works, I am also toying with the idea of pulling an ancient XP laptop out of my junk drawer and putting it to work as a dedicated 24/7 SipToSis server.  Comments and suggestions are welcome.

azrobert

Quote from: cdelite on May 18, 2013, 12:06:23 AM
One thing I hope to accomplish is to allow specific incoming Skype callers to access the Obi attendant so they can call landlines and mobiles via Google Voice.

I got your idea to work with the following.

In SkypeToSipAuth.props:
*,sip:[skypecallerid]@192.168.1.150:5061

192.168.1.150:5061 is the IP address and port# of your OBi.

Change your OBi Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_inboundCallRoute to:
{skypests>skype1|skype2:aa},{ph}

skype1 and skype2 are the Skype usernames you want sent to the AA.

rawhit32

I just called Obi support.  The tech advised me to post a question in the forum with regards to the following instructions:  "NOTE: replace "192.168.1.150" with your OBIHAI's IP address which you can find by dialing *** and then "1" from the phone connected to the Obi.  Use either ":5060" if you are setting up SP1, or ":5061" if you are setting up SP2.  Normally you will use the latter.  If you're setting up SP3 or SP4 you'll have to research which port number to use.  Replace "YourSkypeUserID" with your actual Skype username."  Tech says I need to configure Skype thru ObiTalk and not the local webpage, as he says is indicated here by this IP address, or it will mess up the whole Obi account that I have set up.    Also, I don't know what "use either ":5060"...or "5061" means.  Where do those numbers go?

lancemoreland

I have a Skype number.  This being the case is there another (easier) way to set up Skype on my OBi200?

pinchpenny

So, I need a computer on for this to work?

Joue

I am going through these steps, but calls are refusing to get forwarded from skype.

I get these messages:
2017-01-15 11:15:46,666 callReceived - incoming Skype Call from:+155500xxxx [+1555000xxxx] status:RINGING
2017-01-15 11:15:46,670 callReceived - Direct Sip Dial to:sip:siptosis@192.168.1.10:5061 from:"+1555000xxxx" <sip:skypests@192.168.1.18:5070>
2017-01-15 11:15:46,672 UAC: CALLING sip:siptosis@192.168.1.10:5061
2017-01-15 11:15:46,673
Attempting call From:"+1555000xxxx" <sip:skypests@192.168.1.18:5070> To:<sip:siptosis@192.168.1.10:5061>
2017-01-15 11:15:46,688 skypeCallStatus[75149] - RINGING
2017-01-15 11:15:46,698 REFUSED (404:Not Found)
2017-01-15 11:15:46,719 WAITING FOR INCOMING CALL
2017-01-15 11:15:46,744 skypeCallStatus[75149] - Complete: REFUSED
A few notes:

• 192.168.1.10 is my obihai device
  • 192.168.1.18 is my pc running skype and the siptosis
  • The phone number +1555.... is obfuscated from the number appearing in the logs
  • Neither port 5070 on my pc appears to be open (does not accept telnet connections),
  • Nor are ports 5060, nor 5061 on my obihai open - port 80 seems to be open though (accepts telnet connections)
  • Additionally, I do not have asterisk set up - I'd like to confirm that it is not required for this scenario.
I find the fact that the ports I am forwarding to are not open very strange. I am not sure how to move ahead from here - any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

azrobert

Port 5061 points to the OBi SP2. Is SP2 defined as SIP? It won't work if defined as GV. Did you configure anything to block SIP scanners like checking X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly or changing the X_UserAgentPort? Do you have any code in the SP2 Service X_InboundCallRoute that would block the call?

cabrower

Will this work for Skype for business (Old Lync Server) or only the consumer Skype?