News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Call OBi button (WebRTC)

Started by QBZappy, June 11, 2013, 05:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

Had to look carefully while looking at my computer screen tonight. I wasn't certain at what I was looking at. Obihai has finally given us something to get excited about (again). Let me take this for a test run. Let's have some comments here.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

carl

:-\  Excited ? Not sure about that. A cute little gimmick. I am sure somebody can use it...

QBZappy

Carl,

Did you get it to work. In my case I had to download Chrome to see if this widget works. I looked up that you may have to tweak the privacy settings to allow the camera and mike. I hate to say it but I did not get it to work yet. I'm sure that obihai has tested this thing.

One thing is for sure, the OBiAPP is going to be superseded if this widget works. The Android, Mac, and Iphone users should be happy, since the OBiAPP seems to be problematic for them. This service should standardize things for all the OS platforms.

Curious that they are crippling the 100/110 series ATA by not supporting it. Must be a marketing ploy.

Anyone get this to work yet?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

I needed to use the Chrome beta (Version 28.0.1500.37 beta-m) to get the widget to say it was calling. It seems to recognize the camera and mike. That was an improvement over the non beta version of Chrome I used prior. However the phone still did not ring.

Oh well, I tried. I'll wait and see other peeps results.

carl

I did not get it work yet because It wants me to tweak something with my audio setting on the computer but it does not make any sense.
It does not surprise me a bit that they do not support 100 because they want to get rid off it and push that 203 instead.
Since I do not have a " smart " phone I did not think of all the possibilities you mentioned  and without a smart phone the feature does not have much use for me.

QBZappy

carl,

If you press the allow it should ring the phone (?). There is a way to automate this in the privacy advanced settings.

Ostracus

Huh. I was wondering what was going on. Maybe anything lessor than an 202 (or derivative) doesn't have the space or horsepower?

QBZappy

Quote from: Ostracus on June 11, 2013, 11:16:19 PM
Huh. I was wondering what was going on. Maybe anything lessor than an 202 (or derivative) doesn't have the space or horsepower?

This is the new OBiAPP. It's an OBi to OBI call. If you could call it before using the OBiAPP then the receiving unit specs are sufficient. The browser becomes a sip client.

I wonder what the CID is on this call. Do the inbound call routing rules apply to these calls? I tried it on another computer using once again the Chrome beta version. It hangs on "Calling 500111222". No info on the OBi202 status or call history suggesting the call was received.

dircom

Just tried calling From chrome to my obi 100 in another state.  Rang twice, then call ended
Person on the other end heard it ring twice also

giqcass

I tried it from a Mac on Chrome.  It rings but when I try to answer it I just get a dial tone.  Here is my call history with my Obi numbers anonymized.

QuoteFrom 'Jim' PP1(000000000; GW=000000000)
Fork to:PH1 PH2
Ringing (PH1) Ringing (PH2)
Call Ended   

By the way here is a link.  
http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/services/webrtc/webphone2/callobi.php

I don't know if the link is going to be useful.  You need to know the variable names to use it.

The code must be embedded from the looks of it.
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

If you are logged in and make the call from here http://www.obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev/devices you will see the CID of the Obi number assigned to you as a soft phone.  If you make the call without being logged in it shows 000000000 as the CID.

This should allow friends without an Obi to call via web interface.  I would find that useful.

This would also be useful while traveling.  Call in to your Obi and back out via AA.

QBZappy

When logged into the portal the phone rings, however it hangs up as soon as I pick up the handset. While not logged into the portal, I was successful with rx/tx audio. We could have a phone conversation. Yes indeed the CID when not logged in was: From PP1(000000000). This CID would certainly need to be considered in any type of inbound call route scheme.

While logged in I can get the OBiman AA. After pressing 2 + speed dial, or dialing a telephone number fails for me.

Note that I am using Chrome beta as referenced above.

giqcass

I tried both without success(aside from ringing) either way :(

At least this means they are exploring the next generation of web communications.

QBZappy

Well folks, I can say that the Eagle has landed. I can confirm that I made an "OBi Call Button" call to my cell phone. The call back worked for me as well.

I haven't looked in every nook and cranny in order to see if other configurations are possible in order to make successful calls, but I know the following minimum configuration should work. Over time I'm certain other configs will be found to work just as well, however this one worked for me:

Setup:
1) Be tethered to the OBiTALk servers. Enable the various provisioning options in the OBi.
2) If you are accustomed to setting up the dial plans in the OBi unit itself, at this point you will need to wrap your head around the fact that you will need to do it using the Expert configuration method in the portal.
3) If you are going through a PBX like I am, you may need to tweak the PBX dial plan as well.

This will completely replace the OBiAPP as a casual method of making calls. Gone are the days of trying to configure XLite+OBiAPP. As gigcass has noted anyone with a web browser can call you on your OBi without the need to install a sip client. This solution is easy. I can't wait to see someone with some web savvy to figure out how to place this "OBi Call Button" on their own web page. It will be possible to email a link in your correspondence.

Call me
Enjoy

giqcass

Quote from: QBZappy on June 12, 2013, 07:24:41 PM
I can't waiting to see someone with some web savvy to figure out how to place this "OBi Call Button" on their own web page.

That is what I'm trying to figure out.  Just embedding the form into a webpage should be easy. The tough part is I want to be able to embed my OBi number into the link. I think the variable is GW which stands for Gateway.