News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Data Activity LED is constantly blinking green

Started by Steam, July 16, 2012, 09:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qdsmith

Quote from: zapattack on February 26, 2013, 09:28:25 PM
I thought ObiTalk was a totally separate feature, but now I am not so sure what it means.

I disabled ObiTalk provisioning while troubleshooting. Support promptly emailed asking me to enable it again. Didn't say why, though.

To further update the "blinking data" thread... Support issued an RMA. The replacement arrived today. I have it configured but not set up in the portal. Haven't been able to break it yet. Next on the list, add it to obitalk.com see if it continues to work. Firmware is 1.3.0 build 2776. Newest I saw on the firmware thread is build 2774, so that's of some interest.

ely62

I have been working with customer support for about a week on this issue and still no resolution. Did a couple of factory resets but the problem comes back after two days. They had me set the IP to static instead of DHCP but didn't help. Can't get the device to stay up for more than 2 days. It feels as if the device goes into a bad state that keeps progressing and blows up after about 2 days.

qdsmith

Quote from: ely62 on March 05, 2013, 05:41:25 PM
I have been working with customer support for about a week on this issue.....

Day six with the replacement here, and zero problems. My Obi110 was stable once it remained online more than a couple minutes after a reboot. Sometimes took nine or ten power cycles to get it to do so, but when it did it worked until rebooted. The replacement reboots faster, and comes up every time.

If troubleshooting hasn't identified any issues with the configuration or network, ask for a warranty exchange.

zapattack

If you have both SP1 and SP2, another troubleshooting technique is to disable one of them (Voice Services/SPx)and see if the trouble goes away.
I found that the GV port settings can cause the problem described (mine were not default).
Setting Proxy Server Port and Outbound Proxy Port different solved my problem.

ForObibi

Similar issues reported here

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2684.0
 "my obi110 is crazy, internet led flashing and make home network down"

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4839.0
 "Obi110 Flood The LAN and Bring My Network DOWN"

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3676.0
  "Data Activity LED is constantly blinking green "

mgazza

I have just had this exact problem.
I set-up some packet sniffing on my network, and found that the obi110 was making constant dns requests for a time server which were failing. I reset the time server under network settings and rebooted the obi all is now well  :)

Everton

Quote from: mgazza on September 07, 2013, 03:05:32 AM
I have just had this exact problem.
I set-up some packet sniffing on my network, and found that the obi110 was making constant dns requests for a time server which were failing. I reset the time server under network settings and rebooted the obi all is now well  :)

I'm curious to know if you had a second NTP Server (NTPServer2) stated under "NTPServer2".  In my case, I have always used "time.nist.gov" from day one as my backup NTPServer2, so if NTPServer1 fails, it should move on to trying the second.  Additionally, what DNS servers are you using under "DNSServer1" and "DNSServer2"?

revengineer

mgazza, short post but really good detective work and solution. I bet many people's problem would be solved by simply switching the ntp server. Here is my story:

I have been using OBi110 for the last 6 months in the hope of slowly transitioning the family away from a POTS line. The OBi works well most of the time, but there have been time when an outbound call could not be made through google voice. At those time the LED with the phone icon was off and the Obi would should offline in OBiTalk. The OBi would not show in the DHCP lease table of my router. Based on this I switched to a static IP.

The static IP worked well but the device would often enter a state where the network light would flicker fast without a connection and would show as offline in ObiTalk. However, when calling ***1, the static IP was read back properly. Restarting the device with ***9 would work but only for a few hours.

Many folks said that support asked them to switch the router. I had a spare new N-router at hand of different make and model, which I tested with the same result. This pretty much told me that the router is not the issue and that this is a firmware bug.

Stumbling at mgazza's hint of ntp dns queries, I changed the ntp server to time.nist.gov, which I typically use, and all has been well since then.

I have had trouble with ntp.pool.org on my firewall server as well and those problems went away with the same ntp server change.

Thanks again for the debug help. I was never able to get wireshark to spit out the network traffic from the Obi hardwired connection, so this hint was greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
rev

myname

I saw the same issue with OBI110 the day I bought it. Data light flashing and the network was completely down. I read through the forum. I have my own NTP server in the same subnet so it is not an issue. I power cycled the OBI device and the switch and it seems to work for two days. I am using OBI as FXO device connected to ASTERISK server. 

If Official tech. support team is reviewing this thread, I believe that there is something in the firmware.  Please see this Cisco tech. note.  I had just restarted my Asterisk server when this happened. I suspect that the firmware reconnect code is not functioning correctly. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6000-series-switches/23563-143.html