News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

USB Printing??

Started by avitez, August 23, 2013, 01:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avitez

Spoke to customer service @ Obi, and the individual told me that USB Printing is not supported.  Will it every be supported?  Since my printer is right next to my Obi202, it would be very easy to connect...  Let me know if it can be done... Appreciate all your help.

Shale

You cannot do it.

It would not make sense for OBi to put that into future firmware. It is your computer that talks to a printer. I suggest that you get a USB hub or get a printer that works with ethernet or WiFi.

Roger

Best way to do that with your existing printer is to get a router that you can flash with tomato firmware, then you can set up USB printing.

Rick

You're asking OBi customers to predict if OBi will add a new feature in the future?

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

Don't know.

giqcass

They put a usb port in the thing.  Why not add a feature people would like to use? 
Long live our new ObiLords!

sdb-

Resource limits or conflicts within the OBi.  (processor, memory, storage, bus bandwidth)

Resource limits or conflicts within Obihai.  (development staff)

And what you ask is non-trivial unless it comes with a mile long list of caveats regarding supported printers and operating systems.

My recommendation is to buy a network printer.  Putting a non-network capable printer on the network via any adapter is a crap shoot.

And I have over 20 years of experience with printing and network protocol design and implementation.