News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi202 reboots itself roughly every 10 days

Started by fizikz, November 07, 2013, 08:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fizikz

I've noticed over the past few months that the OBi202 reboots roughly every 10 days, usually with reboot reason code 1 (Operating System Reboot). Any ideas why? I have not noticed any problems with operation.

obi-support2

We have implemented a fix for this problem, which will be available in the next f/w release.
If you would like to try this out now, please email to support@obihai.com and we can upgrade your OBi unit remotely. Please provide in the email your 9-digit OBi number (printed on the back of the device) and make sure the unit is connected to the Internet with OBiTALK service enabled. Thank you.
OBIHAI Support Staff

fizikz

Thanks. I will wait for the official release of the firmware. When can it be expected?

Could you describe the cause of this problem and how it gets triggered?

In the following link, I posted on dslreports about a coincidence (or not) of a call coming in almost exactly when the OBi rebooted. Could this be related to the problem?

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28826022-

fizikz

Any word on when this firmware update will be released?

Right on cue, about 10 days since the last reboot, the device rebooted itself again. This time it happened exactly when a call came in. I heard one ring, and then it stopped. I checked the OBi system status page (using the IP of my device on my local network) and after it completed rebooting there was no record of the call in the call history. However, the call is registered in my VSP's CDR and in the phone's caller ID recall.

Please release this fix soon, as it's not the first time that a call seems to trigger a reboot at the 10 day uptime mark, and that is unacceptable.

sdb-

I saw that more than once with my OBi110.  Now I reboot my OBi at about 2:30am every morning.  Have not seen an unexpected reboot since.

fizikz

Quote from: sdb- on December 09, 2013, 08:34:38 PM
I saw that more than once with my OBi110.  Now I reboot my OBi at about 2:30am every morning.  Have not seen an unexpected reboot since.

Do you mean you saw random reboots, or also reboots immediately upon receiving calls? Several people have reported random reboots. I really hope the fix will be released soon.

RFord

Quote from: fizikz on December 09, 2013, 10:56:16 AM
Any word on when this firmware update will be released?

Right on cue, about 10 days since the last reboot, the device rebooted itself again. This time it happened exactly when a call came in. I heard one ring, and then it stopped. I checked the OBi system status page (using the IP of my device on my local network) and after it completed rebooting there was no record of the call in the call history. However, the call is registered in my VSP's CDR and in the phone's caller ID recall.

Please release this fix soon, as it's not the first time that a call seems to trigger a reboot at the 10 day uptime mark, and that is unacceptable.

obi-support2 offered to push an unofficial release of an updated firmware to you specific device that would have cure this problem and you choose to decline the offer.  Now you seem to be on a obsessed mission, both here and on dslreports, to complain about the issue that very few OBi202 members are complaining about or even care about.  If the issue was so important to you and your mission critical OBi202, I'm sure you would have accept the offer from obi-support2.  Why not manually reboot the OBi202 every 1-9 (<10) days as a short term fit until the official Firmware release?

sdb-

Quote from: fizikz on December 09, 2013, 08:42:41 PM
Quote from: sdb- on December 09, 2013, 08:34:38 PM
I saw that more than once with my OBi110.  Now I reboot my OBi at about 2:30am every morning.  Have not seen an unexpected reboot since.

Do you mean you saw random reboots, or also reboots immediately upon receiving calls? Several people have reported random reboots. I really hope the fix will be released soon.

Reboot immediately upon receiving calls.  Very obvious in the syslog.

I may have also seen some other spurious reboots but after a few reboot on incoming calls I set up the scheduled reboot.

Edit:

Needing a periodic reboot is annoying, but not at all uncommon with small network appliances.  I have three wifi routers at home, two as access points and one as the main incoming router. One of the access points I reboot every day because it needs it. The other two, so far at least, seem stable for weeks at a time.  Of course, I upgrade the firmware on them usually at least six weeks so...

fizikz

Quote from: sdb- on December 11, 2013, 09:26:52 AM
Reboot immediately upon receiving calls.  Very obvious in the syslog.

I may have also seen some other spurious reboots but after a few reboot on incoming calls I set up the scheduled reboot.

Edit:

Needing a periodic reboot is annoying, but not at all uncommon with small network appliances.  I have three wifi routers at home, two as access points and one as the main incoming router. One of the access points I reboot every day because it needs it. The other two, so far at least, seem stable for weeks at a time.  Of course, I upgrade the firmware on them usually at least six weeks so...

How do you schedule the reboots?

Periodic rebooting might not be uncommon for some consumer network devices, but it's not what I would call normal operation. Rather, it's a sign of poor quality. It's not what I expect from an OBi.

My modem, router (up 133 days), and access point (up 72 days) all have long uptimes and only get rebooted when there are setup changes or power outages (those that are not on a UPS backup).

giqcass

I have not noticed any reboots like this until recently.  My Obi gets regularly rebooted because I am making changes all the time but today I got a random reboot in the middle of a incoming call.
Long live our new ObiLords!

sdb-

Quote from: giqcass on December 15, 2013, 01:30:03 AM
regularly rebooted because I am making changes all the time but today I got a random reboot in the middle of a incoming call.

Ouch.  Since normally the OBi is very polite about waiting for idle before rebooting, a reboot during a call seems like a clear indication that it was a watchdog reboot or worse.

Do you have a high incoming/outgoing/both call utilization?

Any idea how long it had been since the previous reboot?

I switched to an OBi202 a couple of days ago, fairly light phone usage since then, and kept my daily reboot schedule.  So far, so good.

giqcass

Quote from: sdb- on December 15, 2013, 12:54:53 PM
regularly rebooted because I am making changes all the time but today I got a random reboot in the middle of a incoming call.

Ouch.  Since normally the OBi is very polite about waiting for idle before rebooting, a reboot during a call seems like a clear indication that it was a watchdog reboot or worse.

Do you have a high incoming/outgoing/both call utilization?

Any idea how long it had been since the previous reboot?

I switched to an OBi202 a couple of days ago, fairly light phone usage since then, and kept my daily reboot schedule.  So far, so good.

First call of the day and I wasn't on long.  The last time I rebooted it was less then 12 hours prior.  My obi rebooted by itself again today.  Not during a call however.

giqcass

I've been getting lots of reboots.  Obihai updated my Obi to firmware 3.0.1 (Build: 4254).  I guess we will see if that fixes the problem.  

EDIT: I am VERY skeptical.  My Obi rebooted in the middle of this post!  ???

sdb-

Sounds like something pretty nasty is going on.

I've still not seen any unexpected reboots on my '202. (3.0.1 (Build: 4142), hardware 1.4)

I turned off my daily reboot yesterday, which means it did not reboot this morning. Plus so far it has been able to properly backup my config every morning also, on the first try.  That never happened with my '110 without having been rebooted immediately prior, and sometimes even then it failed.

The major variables are probably usage as well as services and related config.

fizikz

I have not noticed any reboots like this until recently.  My Obi gets regularly rebooted because I am making changes all the time but today I got a random reboot in the middle of a incoming call.

Can you think of any changes between now and "recently"? Rebooting in the middle of a call is especially nasty. I have not noticed that happening with mine. Please keep us posted on how the new firmware works out for you.

sdb-, how did you implement daily reboots?

giqcass

My Obi has not rebooted since my last post. About 19 hours.  If I have any trouble I'll post it here.  I'll also let you know if I make it past that magical 10 day mark.

GusHerb94

I had this happen today, I let it go as long as possible without touching it, then finally right after a missed incoming call today the Obi202 rebooted itself. Reboot reason #1. It went 11 days before it rebooted itself. I find this somewhat disturbing because this Obi202 is being used in a business setting, and obviously it should not be rebooting itself when people are trying to call in/use the phone.

CoalMinerRetired

Upon logging into the ObiTalk portal this evening, I saw the yellow triangle icons, meaning there is new firmware an Obi202.  I did the update and the new firmware is Build: 4269.

I'm posting here because I had been following this thread, I was getting random reboots similar to what is described here.  Have also been getting calls disconnected in the middle of a call, and it was getting very annoying, it was happening about every third call. Today was the worst, so I have high hopes the new firmware fixes both the reboots and the disconnects.

GusHerb94

I too also just received and installed 4269 a few hours ago. I hope this fixes the issue.

fizikz

It's good news that the new firmware (build 4269) is released. With the OBi202 updated, now it's time to observe and hope for the best. :)