MagicJack plus $19.99 at Radioshack might be good addition to obi110 or Obi20x

Started by giqcass, December 17, 2013, 01:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giqcass

It looks like Radioshack might be doing a close out on the Magic Jack Plus.  $19.99 with a year service included. $29.95 per year after. These might be a good addition for those with an Obi110 or 20x with obiline adapter.  These do not need a computer to run. They are being replaced with the Magic Jack 2014 which Radioshack also sells.  The 2014 version is not on sale through them so make sure you grab the right one.
Long live our new ObiLords!

LeoKing

The one Radio Shack puts on sale is the Plus 2011 version that I've used for a couple of years now. I like it much better than the original MJ. Recently when I renewed my MJ+ service early this month, MJ offered to upgrade my MJ+ dongle with the 2014 for $29.99 but only 6-month service is included with the new MJ+ 2014. I refused the upgrade offer because the 2011 MJ+ dongle I've been using is working so great without any problems.

giqcass

I have been looking around and it appears 911 is no longer included in the price.  The NEW 2014 version doesn't seem to be any better then the Magic Jack plus.  The WIFI option they are promising doesn't work yet and it might require an additional purchase when it does.  In the reviews I have read people couldn't detect any improvement in voice quality.

LeoKing

Yes, you're correct on what you mentioned. That's the reason I didn't want to "upgrade" to the 2014 version to lose 6 months of service. E911 was no longer free after MJ sent out the email telling the customers that they'd need to pay to continue receiving the E911 service. I got such email in 8/13. But I have no need for 911 from MJ because I already have 911 service on my cell phone (it'd be nice if I could have 911 service for free like it was before). The Android MagicJack app works very well on my cell phone using WiFi or Data connection. I only missed the call forwarding feature that MJ no longer provided for free. IMO, MagicJack is a very good and very inexpensive VoIP solution.

carl

The only thing Magic Jack can be sensibly added to is a pile of electronic waste for recycling. Never encountered anything comparably worthless, except maybe Nettalk. Hard to name in in one breath with Obi.

LeoKing

I had some problems with the original MagicJack, the one that's plugged into the USB port on the computer. I have not had problems with the MJ Plus 2011, the one that's plugged directly to a LAN port on the router. That's the reason I decided to renew the MJ service this month. Also, the MJ Android and iPhone apps work very good with my MJ Plus number.

Jackson

Sounds interesting.  Is it possible to get phone numbers in my area code?

Saw this strange review at RS though.

QuoteThis device can call lots of places but some numbers within less than 30 miles of my home can not be called without additional charges. This is not right. The advertising says you can call anywhere for free and you can not.
I live in the eastern united states and am not trying to make international calls. just local in state calls. even within my home county and there is a recorded message that I need to purchase air time.

LeoKing

Quote from: Jackson on December 18, 2013, 06:18:55 AM
Sounds interesting.  Is it possible to get phone numbers in my area code?

Saw this strange review at RS though.

QuoteThis device can call lots of places but some numbers within less than 30 miles of my home can not be called without additional charges. This is not right. The advertising says you can call anywhere for free and you can not.
I live in the eastern united states and am not trying to make international calls. just local in state calls. even within my home county and there is a recorded message that I need to purchase air time.

I have not had the problem in your quote. We can check the MJ Available Area Codes page to make sure the area codes we want are available.

Jackson

They have them at my local RS.

I thought that I would just tap into the same phone lines as my Obi100, a junction box using the original (disconnected from NID) house wiring .  But I can't wrap my head around how I could actually then make a MJ outbound call using the same phones as the Obi.  :-[

gderf

I don't think you can connect multiple ATAs (OBi, MJ, NetTalk, etc.) simultaneously to the same house wiring. They all impress their own dial tone and voltage onto the line.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

LeoKing

Quote from: Jackson on December 21, 2013, 06:13:32 AM
They have them at my local RS.

I thought that I would just tap into the same phone lines as my Obi100, a junction box using the original (disconnected from NID) house wiring .  But I can't wrap my head around how I could actually then make a MJ outbound call using the same phones as the Obi.  :-[

When MJ still offered free 911, I used to connect the MJ phone jack to the LINE port on the OBi110 so I could use MagicJack 911 on the OBi110's. I don't think we can connect the MagicJack Plus to the OBi100.

Edit to Add: I am running MagicJack with a VTech DECT 6.0 phone system with 8 handsets (12 max).

carl

I think that Dec 17th should be declared as Black Tuesday- the first time somebody recommended Magic Jack on this forum. Things change ; and not always for the better. ::)

giqcass

Quote from: carl on December 21, 2013, 06:26:28 PM
I think that Dec 17th should be declared as Black Tuesday- the first time somebody recommended Magic Jack on this forum. Things change ; and not always for the better. ::)
I'm not the biggest fan of MJ personally but I wanted a MJ adapter for experimentation. One thing I want to try is adding a MJ adapter to a Raspberry PI to make it a complete PBX with FXS port.  With the deal they had on these however I had to share.  Hope I don't go down in history as the guy that said Magic Jack on the Obi forum. ;)

LeoKing

I know MJ Plus doesn't work for everyone and I think it's because of the router and/or network setup. My younger brother also loves it. He went to Asia very often on business trips and he never left the US without it. With the MagicJack dongle, he could call home for free wherever there's Internet connection and the call quality was excellent when he called back home from Asia. I am not promoting MJ, I don't work for them. I only would like to share with other members my good MJ experience.

carl

Quote from: giqcass on December 22, 2013, 06:53:55 AM
Quote from: carl on December 21, 2013, 06:26:28 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of MJ personally but I wanted a MJ adapter for experimentation. One thing I want to try is adding a MJ adapter to a Raspberry PI to make it a complete PBX with FXS port.  With the deal they had on these however I had to share.  Hope I don't go down in history as the guy that said Magic Jack on the Obi forum. ;)

;D ;D