News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Will GoogleVoice stop working on all deployed OBi devices after May 15?

Started by p2pvoice, November 12, 2013, 10:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Quote from: lhm. on December 15, 2013, 08:31:57 AM
"IPKall, being a free service like Google Voice, doesn't pay for CNAM -- it isn't doing the CNAM lookups.  So, you won't get CNAM via IPKall.  CC does do the lookups for its DIDs, even their free ones."

It appears forwarded GV calls via IPKall to CC (free DID) via SIP will not show CNAM just CID. At least not for me.
Yah, that is what I was (unsuccessfully) trying to say:  when you terminate your GV call on a IPKall DID, and then send it along to Callcentric via a URI, IPKall, not CC, is the terminating PSTN carrier.  Since IPKall isn't doing CNAM lookup, there is CNAM to send to CC via the SIP URI.

MikeHObi

Quote from: lhm. on December 15, 2013, 08:31:57 AM
"IPKall, being a free service like Google Voice, doesn't pay for CNAM -- it isn't doing the CNAM lookups.  So, you won't get CNAM via IPKall.  CC does do the lookups for its DIDs, even their free ones."

It appears forwarded GV calls via IPKall to CC (free DID) via SIP will not show CNAM just CID. At least not for me.

I have accounts with Anveo and Callcentric.  I have a small number of people who regularly call my voice line and the are setup in the address book for both Anveo and CallCentric.  This with IPKall forwards into Callcentric, Callcentric looks up the CID in the address book and sends down the CNAME to the OBI.  With Anveo, and probably Callcentric you can pay for them to look up the CNAME beyond their address books.  But their address book lookup is no additional cost.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

noobcollege

Just to make sure i am getting this right. Google voice to Obihai will stop working, but what will happen to the google voice number?

Are the functions of google voice going to stop working too?

N7AS

The only thing that will change is the method that GV is used with OBi devices. Your GV number will not go away. You will still be able to forward it to another number such as Callcentric, VOIP.ms etc. that can be configured on OBi devices as a SIP account.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

noobcollege

Quote from: N7AS on December 22, 2013, 09:14:51 PM
The only thing that will change is the method that GV is used with OBi devices. Your GV number will not go away. You will still be able to forward it to another number such as Callcentric, VOIP.ms etc. that can be configured on OBi devices as a SIP account.

I have two google voice numbers. One connected to obihai and the other goes to my cellphone (so it's just an alternate number I can give out). So you are saying that the second one that goes to my cellphone, that will work the same?

N7AS

Yes, that is correct. Inbound calls via GoogleVoice is not the problem. It's outbound when they stop suportimg XMPP. Outbound calls can be routed through another provider such as Localphone, Callcentric, VOIP.ms or others.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

noobcollege

Quote from: N7AS on December 22, 2013, 10:42:11 PM
Yes, that is correct. Inbound calls via GoogleVoice is not the problem. It's outbound when they stop suportimg XMPP. Outbound calls can be routed through another provider such as Localphone, Callcentric, VOIP.ms or others.

Sorry, just a little confused on what you said. the gv number that goes to my cellphone, that one will be alright, correct?

Now, the one that goes to obihai, are you saying that I will be able to get inbound calls still?

N7AS

The GV number going direct to you OBi device will no longer work using XMPP. Your best bet would be with Localphone. A DID (phone number) is $0.99 per month. Inbound calls is free as well as outbound calls to toll free numbers. Outbound is $0.005 (1/2 cent) per min. They have subscriptions available.

For calls to US numbers.
250   min for $0.75 - $0.003 per min
800   min for $1.60 - $0.002 per min
5000 min for $5.00 - $0.001 per min

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

makitso

Everyone's needs are different. 

My home setup includes an Ooma for the house phone.  I set up a Google Voice number for this line that rings the home number and my wife's cell phone at the same time.
Then I have an Obi110 for my home office as a second line through Google Voice.  Generally, when I am working from home, most of my time is spent on calls to an 877 number for work conferencing.  I seldom receive an inbound call on my Obi.

I first I tried Callcentric's free plan thinking that the 877 number might have a VOIP SIP interface.  Callcentric's online Obi110 instructions were not complete – I could not get my Obi device to register with them.  However, this forum suggested some SIP changes and then it worked :-)   Upon testing I found that I could call my VOIP at work office phone but not a 877 number. So, I cancelled the service.

I then tried Localphone, again picking their free option.  Setup worked correctly and I can call my 877 number.  When May rolls around I will forward my home office Google Voice number to the home phone number. 

gderf

If you need to call 877 numbers, CallWithUs will terminate them for free. You don't even need an account with them to do this. There my be other providers who do this also.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

makitso

Yea, looking at their site now.  Seems to be aimed at a more knowledgeable person and there are not a lot of configuration examples.  Also, not sure for USA only calling what the advantages are between standard, premuim and PSTN routes.  Will spend some time looking at this in more detail. 

Any info on voice quality and reliability with the service?

MikeHObi

Quote from: noobcollege on December 22, 2013, 10:59:49 PM
Sorry, just a little confused on what you said. the gv number that goes to my cellphone, that one will be alright, correct?
Now, the one that goes to obihai, are you saying that I will be able to get inbound calls still?

Google is no longer going to support XMPP on their chat or voice service.   If currently using nothing but Obi and Google voice, that means that calls placed to your GV number will no longer ring your devices connect to the Obi.  This is because Obi uses XMPP through Google Chat to get calls into it.  This change has no impact on the google voice client used on cell phones.

This also means that when you dial numbers through devices attached to your obi, they will not complete.  This is because the Obi uses XMPP to communicate with google voice. 

Since XMPP goes away, the obi can no longer talk to google.

As people have pointed out, many currently use various providers for low cost or free Direct Inward Dial numbers (DID) for incoming calls.  They do this typically to get caller ID Name (and 911) which google does not provide.  In these cases Google voice forwards to this 3rd part DID which then talks to the OBI via SIP.  That will still work even if XMPP goes away because Google voice to the DID and the DID to the Obi are not using XMPP. 

With the loss of XMPP the biggest decision for folks is are you are willing to loose some of the utility of the obi, and keep the free outgoing calls or keep the utility of the obi and pay for outgoing calls?  If you like your GV number and you want the utility of the obi, then whatever service you pick for outgoing calls you will want a service than can spoof your CID so that your outgoing calls can show the GV number and not the number assigned to you by your outbound call service provider.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

noobcollege

Quote from: MikeHObi on December 23, 2013, 07:29:44 AM
Quote from: noobcollege on December 22, 2013, 10:59:49 PM

Google is no longer going to support XMPP on their chat or voice service.   If currently using nothing but Obi and Google voice, that means that calls placed to your GV number will no longer ring your devices connect to the Obi.  This is because Obi uses XMPP through Google Chat to get calls into it.  This change has no impact on the google voice client used on cell phones.

This also means that when you dial numbers through devices attached to your obi, they will not complete.  This is because the Obi uses XMPP to communicate with google voice. 

Since XMPP goes away, the obi can no longer talk to google.

As people have pointed out, many currently use various providers for low cost or free Direct Inward Dial numbers (DID) for incoming calls.  They do this typically to get caller ID Name (and 911) which google does not provide.  In these cases Google voice forwards to this 3rd part DID which then talks to the OBI via SIP.  That will still work even if XMPP goes away because Google voice to the DID and the DID to the Obi are not using XMPP. 

With the loss of XMPP the biggest decision for folks is are you are willing to loose some of the utility of the obi, and keep the free outgoing calls or keep the utility of the obi and pay for outgoing calls?  If you like your GV number and you want the utility of the obi, then whatever service you pick for outgoing calls you will want a service than can spoof your CID so that your outgoing calls can show the GV number and not the number assigned to you by your outbound call service provider.

Thank you for clarifying. For the gv to obi device I just want free inbound calls, don't really need outbound. Do you have any suggestions on sites or set up?

gderf

You can get a free incoming only DID from Callcentric. Just forward your GV number to it and configure your OBi for Callcentric. There has been some trouble lately with calls not reaching some Callcentric DIDs. Maybe this will be finally solved by the time Google cuts of XMPP.

Or you can get a free IP Freedom account on Callcentric, configure your OBi to use it, and get a free DID from IPKall that you forward GV to. These seem to be working without trouble lately.

Or you can do both and use one DID or the other if one should break.

noobcollege

I see. Thank you.

I hope as we get closer to may, someone posts a tutorial with the options and steps to set it up  :)

gderf

Your OBi via OBiTALK should handle the setup for Callcentric just fine.

As to Callcentric or IPKall, just visit their web pages and dive in. It's not complicated.

threehappypenguins

Quote from: gderf on November 12, 2013, 10:34:13 AMIf you forward calls from GV to another phone number that is provisioned on your OBi, incoming phone service will continue. You can get such a number for free from CallCentric. See: http://www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number

To continue making free outbound calls from your OBi using Google Voice you can use GV's click to dial with callback from a web browser..

I get how to forward calls to the Callcentric free number, but as for outbound, I don't understand what you mean when you say, "To continue making free outbound calls from your OBi using Google Voice you can use GV's click to dial with callback from a web browser.."

Can someone please explain how to do this? I don't understand...

dircom

step 1   Log on to GV
step 2   Click call button
step 3   Enter # to call
step 4   click Connect
step 5   answer your phone when it rings

ericab

Quote from: N7AS on December 22, 2013, 11:16:55 PM
The GV number going direct to you OBi device will no longer work using XMPP. Your best bet would be with Localphone. A DID (phone number) is $0.99 per month. Inbound calls is free as well as outbound calls to toll free numbers. Outbound is $0.005 (1/2 cent) per min. They have subscriptions available.

For calls to US numbers.
250   min for $0.75 - $0.003 per min
800   min for $1.60 - $0.002 per min

where do you see this ?  "Outbound is $0.005 (1/2 cent) per min"

where are you seeing these rates ???

this is what i see:
https://db.tt/2OnQgsym

N7AS

Quote from: ericab on March 19, 2014, 11:23:06 AM
Quote from: N7AS on December 22, 2013, 11:16:55 PM

For calls to US numbers.
250   min for $0.75 - $0.003 per min
800   min for $1.60 - $0.002 per min

where do you see this ?  "Outbound is $0.005 (1/2 cent) per min"

where are you seeing these rates ???

this is what i see:
https://db.tt/2OnQgsym

Its called Monthly Subscriptions. 
Click on Learn More then on the + sign next to US. The info will drop down with the rates.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ