News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obivoice (Intelafone) vs. Forthcoming Obihai Service?

Started by Arghtastic, January 17, 2014, 07:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceg3

I'm actually in the process of porting over my GV number.  It was delayed, and I wanted to experience a "true" Obivoice experience, so I deleted my forwarding to my Obivoice number from my GV account, leaving only my cell number to get calls to my GV number. I started out the way you did by spoofing the outgoing caller ID with my GV number. I understand it can take a couple of days for the caller ID info entered to propagate across all carriers.

giqcass

Quote from: riptcity00 on January 29, 2014, 03:39:23 PM
Thanks for the tip.  Previously I did the spoofing option which worked to show just my number.  I tried this change but can't get the name to show.  I have Obivoice showing as the primary line for outbound calls in Google Voice assuming it would bypass Google Voice if it limited caller id to number only.  Are you using this option for outbound Obivoice calls without google voice involved? i.e. what I'm trying to do won't work.
In my testing Obivoice will not add your name to outgoing calls that spoof your Google Voice number.  That feature is for numbers that are actually
1)Bought from Obivoice (this includes your free number)
2)Ported to Obivoice

You can have multiple numbers on ObiVoice but Obivoice does not give you a way to switch between the two from the phone when it comes to outbound caller ID.  That can only be done through the control panel.  Of course with the speed at which they add features it may be possible next week.

Small side note:  I spelled my own name wrong on the CNAM. lol
Long live our new ObiLords!

intelafone

Quote from: KAura on January 28, 2014, 10:03:32 AM
Seems like this forum is their marketing consultant...

We review what's available, give pricing, etc. and all
they have to do is read in the forum.

It's like B King being able to look into McD's planning
sessions without having to pay for it.

That's essentially it, Kaura. Tailoring our services to what experienced VoIP users want to see and use and the word of mouth referrals of customers who are genuinely pleased with what we have to offer are a lot better than the shotgun-approach of marketing in a traditional fashion. (Don't forget you can also earn a bit of $$$ from these referrals ;))

All of the changes to our website, features, and services have been either out of necessity in improving reliability/functionality or have been inspired by community input. Unfortunately it gives a false impression that we have trouble making up our mind on things. I can say we have decided on being flexible enough to suit the needs of the VoIP community.

Quote from: ceg3 on January 29, 2014, 01:18:54 PM
Let me toss out this bit of info for new Obivoice subscribers.  In order to have your name display on your outgoing caller ID log into your Obivoice portal and go to numbers and then manage numbers and click on edit.  The blank to enter your name will become active.

Thanks for passing that on! A detailed support article was just put up today about this. You can check it out here.
Vestalink | XMPP Shutdown and Vestalink
BYOD Home VoIP Service | Approved Obihai Provider | Free GV Number Porting

ceg3

Could it be that all the changes you are making is why my OBi is rebooting multiple times a day? It was really rare for me to notice the rebooting before moving over to Obivoice.

gderf

Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

riptcity00

Quote from: intelafone on January 30, 2014, 12:02:35 PM
Quote from: KAura on January 28, 2014, 10:03:32 AM
Seems like this forum is their marketing consultant...

We review what's available, give pricing, etc. and all
they have to do is read in the forum.

It's like B King being able to look into McD's planning
sessions without having to pay for it.

That's essentially it, Kaura. Tailoring our services to what experienced VoIP users want to see and use and the word of mouth referrals of customers who are genuinely pleased with what we have to offer are a lot better than the shotgun-approach of marketing in a traditional fashion. (Don't forget you can also earn a bit of $$$ from these referrals ;))

All of the changes to our website, features, and services have been either out of necessity in improving reliability/functionality or have been inspired by community input. Unfortunately it gives a false impression that we have trouble making up our mind on things. I can say we have decided on being flexible enough to suit the needs of the VoIP community.

Quote from: ceg3 on January 29, 2014, 01:18:54 PM
Let me toss out this bit of info for new Obivoice subscribers.  In order to have your name display on your outgoing caller ID log into your Obivoice portal and go to numbers and then manage numbers and click on edit.  The blank to enter your name will become active.

Thanks for passing that on! A detailed support article was just put up today about this. You can check it out here.

Thanks for documenting and clarifying for future reference!

ceg3

In order to possibly fix my rebooting issue I ran the Obi easy setup tool in my Obivoice web portal and it may now be more stable, but dang it my message waiting indicator and stutter tone stopped working.  I have the correct setting in OBi and they worked before the auto config.

You may want to avoid that beta easy config. I am trying to once again manually enter the SIP credentials from my Obivoice portal to my SP1 in my OBi and it is not connecting.  When I first set up my account manually is was very simple to enter the info, submit, and I was up and running.  Now, I'm not connecting unless I do run the auto config from the Obivoice portal. ???

I had to give up trying to manually configure my SP1. Everything entered corrected but it would not connect. Logged into the Obivoice portal and ran the tool and no problem connecting my Obi. Still have lost my MWI. I think the tool may have somehow modified my OBi device setup.

riptcity00

Quote from: ceg3 on January 30, 2014, 05:24:36 PM
In order to possibly fix my rebooting issue I ran the Obi easy setup tool in my Obivoice web portal and it may now be more stable, but dang it my message waiting indicator and stutter tone stopped working.  I have the correct setting in OBi and they worked before the auto config.

You may want to avoid that beta easy config. I am trying to once again manually enter the SIP credentials from my Obivoice portal to my SP1 in my OBi and it is not connecting.  When I first set up my account manually is was very simple to enter the info, submit, and I was up and running.  Now, I'm not connecting unless I do run the auto config from the Obivoice portal. ???

When I started testing Obivoice I would switch back to CC and/or GV and the message wait indicator and stutter tone stopped working for them as well.  (Used to be a problem to get the indicator to go off, but now I can't get it to go back on.)

My bigger concern is now that I have completed the Obivoice trial period, I can't get my regular google voice outgoing calls working again until I decide on an option.  Outgoing calls give me a message on my handest that Obivoice has a billing issue.  I've deleted Obivoice from Obitalk and Google Voice settings and rebooted the obi200 etc.  I figured I couldn't use Obivoice until I decided and make a payment, but I didn't expect it to lock up my calling altogether. Any ideas?

gderf

You have to make Google Voice Primary Line for Outgoing Calls, or if Google Voice is on SP1, then dial **1 then the number.

cluckercreek

Tonight I noticed that Obivoice added a couple of new features. They added a "My Phonebook" under the calls sections. Also that added a feature to download a spreadsheet with your calls! Good job and thanks for listening to the customers!

riptcity00

Quote from: gderf on January 30, 2014, 06:59:35 PM
You have to make Google Voice Primary Line for Outgoing Calls, or if Google Voice is on SP1, then dial **1 then the number.

Google Voice is the primary line for outgoing calls and on sp1.  Tried the **1 also and neither works.  The handset gives the bad connection sound and then an ObiVoice message says there is a billing issue. I didn't set up billing info as part of the trial, and the obivoice account shows the obi device as connected even through I deleted it from obitalk and google voice settings. 

gderf

TheoGeek

I have been very impressed so far with Obivoice - both in call quality and responsiveness to users.  A number of improvements have been imlpemented, including a couple I suggested.  They monitor the forums and respond to their own "request a feature" page.

Granted, they aren't as "matured" as other offerings, but it's kind of fun when your suggestions are implemented, and you get an e-mail saying so.

$60 for 2 years well spent, and I've only had their service for a couple of weeks.  :)  Time will tell if they can keep this pace up (and keep the price down), but they are off to a great start!

riptcity00

Quote from: gderf on January 30, 2014, 08:54:11 PM
Have you rebooted your OBi?

Yes. Ryan suggested re-adding ov back to obitalk which I will do, but the billing error message started before I deleted the ov setting. Originally I just checked GV forwarding on as the primary and unchecked ov. How have others handled settings when the trial was done?  Thx.

gderf

When my trial was over I attempted to make a call and it was refused. I forget what the voice told me though. Incoming calls to my Obivoice number now go straight to voicemail which I am still able to read and hear from the CP. On another note, my trial didn't just evaporate the instant I reached 60 minutes of calls. My last call was 56 minutes, 31 seconds. But prior to that I had accumulated over 30 minutes on other calls. Once I hung up on that last call the trial was then over.

All I did after the trial ended was to delete SP4 from within OBiTALK which was the one I had configured for Obivoice. There are now no connected devices when checking on my Obivoice CP.

ceg3

Running the Obivoice auto setup tool seems to have stopped the rebooting problem I was having (at least for now), but I still can't get my MWI back.

riptcity00

Quote from: gderf on January 31, 2014, 05:27:43 AM
When my trial was over I attempted to make a call and it was refused. I forget what the voice told me though. Incoming calls to my Obivoice number now go straight to voicemail which I am still able to read and hear from the CP. On another note, my trial didn't just evaporate the instant I reached 60 minutes of calls. My last call was 56 minutes, 31 seconds. But prior to that I had accumulated over 30 minutes on other calls. Once I hung up on that last call the trial was then over.

All I did after the trial ended was to delete SP4 from within OBiTALK which was the one I had configured for Obivoice. There are now no connected devices when checking on my Obivoice CP.

I used a similar sequence to what you described only difference is the ObiVoice device screen still show up as connnected with a green status indicator.  There were two devices showing - one for the Obihai and one for the softphone setting I was testing for ios device calling.  Today the softphone setting is gone, but the Obihai setting is still acive.  Maybe some kind of timing issue?

I just deleted the ObiVoice setting from Obitalk again.  Will reboot obi200 and try again later when I am home, so hopefully with some time it will clear up.  Just strange that it locked up my ability to switch back to Google Voice only calls.

On another note, I am very happy with the service so far and Ryan's responsiveness.  The Obivoice site has many good/quick changes in response to feedback as others have described.  It's now very close to some of the features I used regularly with CC.

ceg3

Quote from: ceg3 on January 31, 2014, 05:57:51 AM
Running the Obivoice auto setup tool seems to have stopped the rebooting problem I was having (at least for now), but I still can't get my MWI back.

Update:  Ryan is aware of this bug now and is working on it. His update re-enabled the stutter tone, but so far the visual, flashing alert is not back working.  Now, that's working too!

Thanks to Ryan for getting this done.  Now I stutter and flash green. ;D

ceg3

I'm all in with Obivoice now.  I signed up for annual, unlimited billing and ported my GV number.  Ryan and Andrew are both great and very helpful and accommodating.  The chat sessions are excellent and immediate.  If there is one thing GV did that I miss is having both my cell phone ring and my home/GV number ring when my GV number was called.  The available work around that I'm using is being able have a text sent to my cell when I have a voice mail, which is really OK for me.

gderf