News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Has anyone tried Obiline as a FXO for an Asterisk device?

Started by Usetheforceobiwan, February 05, 2014, 01:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Usetheforceobiwan

For the heck of it I plugged my Obiline into a Win7 box just to see what would happen.  W7 loads a driver for a USB composite device but cannot find the driver for the other device that tries to load, that device is labeled as a USB audio device.   If anyone has had success in using the Obiline as an FXO on a Linux / Asterisk based system please post your implementation.

azrobert

See: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6988.0

This is a solution for an OBi110, but should be the same for an OBi20X with OBiLine.

Skip to Reply #14

drgeoff

As far as I know an OBi20x is not a Linux / Asterisk based system.  :)

giqcass

Obiline is still fairly new hardware and there aren't a lot of them floating around yet.  You may find it difficult to find drivers for it.  I have not yet heard of anyone using it on a Windows system.  You might have better luck with an old Magic Jack.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Usetheforceobiwan

Actually I was thinking it could be used like this USB FXO adapter from Sangoma http://www.sangoma.com/products/usbfxo/.   The Sangoma is like $140 and two Obilines are $70.    

What got me around to this, the computer I have my PBX on is a small form factor unit with no PCI slots so the only connectivity I have is via serial or USB.  I already have the Obiline so I thought what the heck, you never know so I tried it.  

David_s5

Would Somebody from obihai care to respond to a request to open source the host side driver for the OBILine so we can build a chan_obiline for asterisk? I think this would be a win-win as it would create a new market for the OBILine and give the community a great expansion device.

BruceFerjulian

Quote from: David_s5 on October 10, 2014, 08:11:15 AM
Would Somebody from obihai care to respond to a request to open source the host side driver for the OBILine so we can build a chan_obiline for asterisk? I think this would be a win-win as it would create a new market for the OBILine and give the community a great expansion device.

This is a great idea. Opensource the driver and they will definitely sell a bunch.

RFC3261

Quote from: BruceFerjulian on December 03, 2014, 07:19:26 PMThis is a great idea. Opensource the driver and they will definitely sell a bunch.
But are they making a bunch of money on them?  If not (i.e. they being sold essentially at cost) there is no (real) advantage for OBi to invest the support effort to do so.  Development and support costs money.  Some individuals may do it for the fun (or the challenge) of it, but corporations are responsible for looking at the long term return.  What would you pay for a license for support of each device in Asterisk?  And how many of the "bunch" of people can you actually get to sign on the dotted line for that license?  If you can show a real number, with real payment info, I am sure OBi would consider the ROI.

BruceFerjulian

Quote from: RFC3261 on December 04, 2014, 06:17:25 PM
Quote from: BruceFerjulian on December 03, 2014, 07:19:26 PMThis is a great idea. Opensource the driver and they will definitely sell a bunch.
But are they making a bunch of money on them?  If not (i.e. they being sold essentially at cost) there is no (real) advantage for OBi to invest the support effort to do so.  Development and support costs money.  Some individuals may do it for the fun (or the challenge) of it, but corporations are responsible for looking at the long term return.  What would you pay for a license for support of each device in Asterisk?  And how many of the "bunch" of people can you actually get to sign on the dotted line for that license?  If you can show a real number, with real payment info, I am sure OBi would consider the ROI.

I would buy two (2) for around $50 each with an included Linux driver license for Asterisk.