News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Please Help with Obivoice/Google Voice voicemail solution....

Started by se1961, February 11, 2014, 02:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

se1961

Hello all,

Up until now have been very happily using an Obi202 with several Google Voice accounts for over a year. In anticipation of the May 15 cut-off, I am currently in my trial period for Obivoice. I am forwarding my Google Voice calls to my new Obivoice number, but the voicemail gets caught by Google Voice, and I don't get VMI or stutter tone.

I attempted to solve this problem by adding the most important google voice account back onto the obi, and setting it (not the Obivoice account) to notify me when I have a message. Mostly it works: test messages to my google voice number cause a stutter tone, no light. But, unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to clear the message. Even after I listen to it, and archive it, the stutter tone remains until I go into the browser configuration page and clear the "message waiting" tic box.

Hrmph. I don't want to port my number to Obivoice until I have used it for awhile, but I WOULD like to have some indication when there are messages on my home number. So far, this doesn't pass the wife test. Wait a minute. I AM the wife.

Any thoughts? How are others solving the problem of voicemail when forwarding google voice to another VOIP provider? Thanks in advance!

intelafone

Hi se1961:

The only long term solution would be to port your number to Obivoice (Intelafone).
To my knowledge when Google cuts off XMPP there will be no way of getting VM alerts other than using Google's website, apps or notification methods (eg. Email, or text message). 
To get the stuttering dial tone with our service you will need to port your number to us and allow our voicemail service to alert your Obi. 

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions. 
Vestalink | XMPP Shutdown and Vestalink
BYOD Home VoIP Service | Approved Obihai Provider | Free GV Number Porting

se1961

Thank you for your quick reply. I finally (sorrowfully) gave up the message waiting indicators on my house phones. Funny-- turns out I was the only one who ever checked them anyway.  ::)

I'm having another issue, though: everything seemed to be working very well-- outgoing call quality seems good, I was able to make incoming calls that forwarded from my google voice numbers, etc. Then I answered a call last night from my mother-in-law, who immediately said, "Whoa, what's going on with your phone? You sound like you're under water. I can barely hear you." A couple of quick tests confirmed that when they called my obivoice number directly, or called the google voice number I have set up on the obi (but not forwarded to obivoice), the voice quality was fine. When the call was forwarded from google, the call quality had degraded to a point where it couldn't be used. Uhoh. I haven't really heard reports of this from others who are forwarding from google (to you or other voips like callcentric). Any tips?

MikeHObi

For voice mail notifications with Google voice you can send e-mails rather than rely on phone notification.  Setup a new gmail account or even your existing tied to the voice mail.  configure forwarding of mail to go to the e-mail address for your family.   Then when google voice sends an e-mail to notify you of voice mail it will get auto forwarded to the whole family.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

TheoGeek

Quote from: se1961 on February 12, 2014, 06:01:01 AM
I'm having another issue, though: everything seemed to be working very well-- outgoing call quality seems good, I was able to make incoming calls that forwarded from my google voice numbers, etc. Then I answered a call last night from my mother-in-law, who immediately said, "Whoa, what's going on with your phone? You sound like you're under water. I can barely hear you." A couple of quick tests confirmed that when they called my obivoice number directly, or called the google voice number I have set up on the obi (but not forwarded to obivoice), the voice quality was fine. When the call was forwarded from google, the call quality had degraded to a point where it couldn't be used. Uhoh. I haven't really heard reports of this from others who are forwarding from google (to you or other voips like callcentric). Any tips?

This was EXACTLY my experience with Google Voice forwarded to CallCentric.  Which is why I ported my GV number away from GV.  Getting GV out of the loop has improved call quality immensely.

se1961

Rats. I was afraid somebody might say that. I'm surprised more people haven't commented on this problem, since many folks (including OBI tech?) are offering the "caller id spoofing" and direct dial from another VOIP service provider as a solution. It seems that it isn't, really.

cluckercreek

The only time I've seen GV (lately) be an improvement was when making a call using my NetTALK Duo with the Obi.

MikeHObi

Quote from: se1961 on February 12, 2014, 10:46:59 AM
Rats. I was afraid somebody might say that. I'm surprised more people haven't commented on this problem, since many folks (including OBI tech?) are offering the "caller id spoofing" and direct dial from another VOIP service provider as a solution. It seems that it isn't, really.

Google Voice has been having poor performance routing to various VOIP providers of the past few months and appears to be doing nothing to resolve the problem.  It is pretty dissapointing but it does seem that GV is not going to be a long term product for Google.   I still will use it as my "cell" number going forward but my home number will probably get ported away from it when XMPP no longer functions.  At least with Anveo or CallCentric or Voip.ms or ObiVoice you can get in touch with someone and have them look into problems.

Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

se1961

:) :) :)
I would like to report a (at least for now) fully successful transition to the "forward Google Voice" and "spoof Google Voice Number" method of replacing GV.

After reading through MANY MANY forum posts, on this and broadband reports forum, I ended up trying Anveo. It's somewhat daunting to get it set up, but (strangely) when google voice numbers forward to the Anveo DID, I am not getting any of the "what's wrong with your phone??" reactions I got before. I know that there are slightly cheaper alternatives, but my needs are for simplicity and reliable phone service. I'm very comfortable paying somewhere between 5-8 dollars a month for phone service that works!

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and commiseration. Strangely, by now, I no longer care about getting a message waiting indication. If I find I miss it, or if the forwarding quality degrades, I may just port the number away from Google. At the moment, I'm very happy.

OneForTheTeam

Quote from: se1961 on February 12, 2014, 05:16:53 PM
I know that there are slightly cheaper alternatives, but my needs are for simplicity and reliable phone service. I'm very comfortable paying somewhere between 5-8 dollars a month for phone service that works!
I was in the same boat. Have switched over to ObiVoice and am satisfied with their service. Looks like Future-Nine also offers something in the same price range. I hope more VOIP providers can offer competitively priced residential offering.

se1961

Further updates, to those transitioning: shortly before leaving town on a week long vacation (and leaving my kids and in-laws in my voip house!) I discovered that my Anveo line was having difficulty making some 800 calls, as well as some local calls I suspect are also VOIP carriers. After reading many threads (very quickly-- I had a plane to catch) I discovered that this is a known issue. Apparently some users on lower tier plans (free vs. starter for example) have certain calls (free conference call numbers for example, in my case, British Airways and a local contractor) refused by the service provider, for economic reasons. As  workaround, I set up an account with localphone.com, which has a slightly cheaper per minute outgoing rate. So now I am using the system suggested by at least one long time user on this forum (or perhaps the broadband forum), which seemed at first too complicated: Anveo as my ITSP A provider, LocalPhone as my ITSP B provider. Anveo on SP1, LocalPhone on SP2. All of our Google Voice Numbers (4) are forwarded to the Anveo number. Main phone number is spoofed as caller id on both Anveo and LocalPhone. LocalPhone is set as primary for all outgoing calls, except for 911. I can't remember the digit map for that, and I'm still out of town, but it's easy to find on this forum-- many people used it when setting up Google Voice/Anveo as 911. I am so happy with this solution, which has allowed free phone calls from Europe (google voice to google voice to Anveo) and continued access to all the Google Voice features I appreciate. So far no complaints about service from the family I left behind. :)

PS I suspect some people might wonder why not just use LocalPhone for both incoming and outgoing-- in my case, I was very leery of having the google voice forwarded calls degrade to the point of disrupting the calls; so far Anveo has been rock solid in that regard, and I didn't want to push my luck. I figure if worse comes to worse that the quality of the outgoing calls turns out to be less than stellar, I can upgrade my Anveo plan. My understanding is that once you are on an upgraded (even "starter") package, Anveo will put through the blocked calls I was having trouble with.

giqcass

Quote from: se1961 on February 18, 2014, 11:27:46 AM
My understanding is that once you are on an upgraded (even "starter") package, Anveo will put through the blocked calls I was having trouble with.
I don't know for sure about Anveo but many Voip providers require prepaid credit to place calls to blocked destinations.  They are forced to charge a little more to certain destinations so they pass it on to the customers.  If you check their policies you may find an actual price

I discovered that my Anveo line was having difficulty making some 800 calls, as well as some local calls I suspect are also VOIP carriers.

There was a very specific "early media" issue that applied to 1-800/888 carriers when using Google Voice.  I don't know if it applies to Anveo.  Many of us implemented special dialing plans to reroute these calls.

I am so happy with this solution, which has allowed free phone calls from Europe (google voice to google voice to Anveo) and continued access to all the Google Voice features I appreciate. So far no complaints about service from the family I left behind. :)
Free calling back home from overseas is one of the most appreciated features for travelers.  I keep in touch with my friend who travels for work in a similar fashion.  Should you have quality issues you may be able to get better call quality by making a pure sip call or an Obion to Obi direct call.

Long live our new ObiLords!

se1961

Thank you for your clarifications. I know have read and gotten help from many of your posts already. :)

dvguy

Obi please do the right thing for once and make sure our obi device are compatible with obivoice. Your business model of pushing people to google voice is over and you need to adapt. I really like my obi, but you need to react and make sure your device is compatible with the only service offering low price calling. The Aveno deal is a joke and you need to raise the bar or I am afraid my obi will wind up in the garbage along with your profits as nobody will buy it for 250 minute a month calling. Come on obi and Aveno get real. $15 a month gets me unlimted calling from my cable company. Step up and try to save your company and make your device compatible with obivoice. I am afraid this will fall on def ears.

gderf

Obivoice works fine with OBis. Many are using the two together already. What more do you want?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

giqcass

@dvguy welcome to the forum!

Quote from: dvguy on February 21, 2014, 07:10:44 PM
Obi please do the right thing for once and make sure our obi device are compatible with obivoice. Your business model of pushing people to google voice is over and you need to adapt. I really like my obi, but you need to react and make sure your device is compatible with the only service offering low price calling. The Aveno deal is a joke and you need to raise the bar or I am afraid my obi will wind up in the garbage along with your profits as nobody will buy it for 250 minute a month calling. Come on obi and Aveno get real. $15 a month gets me unlimted calling from my cable company. Step up and try to save your company and make your device compatible with obivoice. I am afraid this will fall on def ears.
Obihai uses standard sip.  What would make you think they are the problem?  Anveo and Obihai are giant corporations compared to Obivoice.  That's why Intelephone re-branded themselves to ride Obihais coattails.  I don't remember Obi "pushing" people to use Google Voice.  I remember them offering a device that people wanted because it "could" work with Google Voice.

Shale

Quote from: giqcass on February 21, 2014, 10:32:24 PM

Obihai uses standard sip.  What would make you think they are the problem?  Anveo and Obihai are giant corporations compared to Obivoice.  That's why Intelephone re-branded themselves to ride Obihais coattails.
This naming will confuse people into thinking OBi is involved in that service.

dvguy

Quote from: giqcass on February 21, 2014, 10:32:24 PM
@dvguy welcome to the forum!

Quote from: dvguy on February 21, 2014, 07:10:44 PM
Obihai uses standard sip.  What would make you think they are the problem?  Anveo and Obihai are giant corporations compared to Obivoice.  That's why Intelephone re-branded themselves to ride Obihais coattails.  I don't remember Obi "pushing" people to use Google Voice.  I remember them offering a device that people wanted because it "could" work with Google Voice.

Honestly, I appreciate what your saying and like my obi and invested $$$ in it. If you look at the Obihai webpage they are still have Google voice as an option.

EASY TO SET-UP AND USE!
Use Google Voice™ with your regular phone to make and receive calls in the USA & Canada for FREE!!*

There are no monthly fees or taxes!
Call other countries with Google Voice's™ incredibly low international rates using an OBi and your broadband Internet connection.

Use OBi with your Gmail account overseas to call anywhere for less! 

At the bottom are two links that then reveal the truth that Obi is not going to be compatible with Google voice. It seems silly to advertise something you cannot deliver in a few months. As for Obivoice attaching themselves to Obi's name that would be the same as Obihai attaching to Google's name. At this point a bad business model. I hope they change that and come to the table with real solutions. If you notice on the forums Intelephone responds to customer questions, but Obihai remains silent. Right now it seems Obivoice is one of the better solutions for the upcoming May 15th cutoff. I really would like to see Obihai work with them and others to provide better plans and make sure they integrate with there services for the best performance possible. Also, I just want to say I have been using the Obivoice service for a few weeks and it has been good.

All I want is for Obihai to make certain they will remain relevant. Honestly, who bought the Obi to use anything but Google voice, but now we must and there are many choices out there. Look at the competition. Ooma, Majic Jack (which is not that great, but still a competing device), All cable providers offer voip (top quality for $15 a month!). I am confused by the idea that large companies do not make mistakes. Microsoft had Windows ME and Windows Vista.

giqcass

Quote from: dvguy on February 23, 2014, 10:00:06 AM
Honestly, who bought the Obi to use anything but Google voice, but now we must and there are many choices out there. Look at the competition. Ooma, Majic Jack (which is not that great, but still a competing device), All cable providers offer voip (top quality for $15 a month!). I am confused by the idea that large companies do not make mistakes. Microsoft had Windows ME and Windows Vista.
I just bought a second Obi knowing it would not work with Google Voice anymore.  They still make the most versatile consumer ATA devices available. 

Those $15 per month deals from the cable company are part of package deals.  Often introductory prices. Show me the bill after they tack on fees and extras.  Try ordering just phone and internet from them.  BAM!  Extra fees! 
Try just getting just phone service.  Most cable companies = not possible. 

My cable company monthly
Basic Phone = $22.62(before taxes and fees)  My cable company is also a POTS telco so it's available by itself.
Unlimited Phone = $41.95(before taxes and fees)
Phone and internet $94.95(before taxes and fees) Still no cable added!
All 3  Starts at $129.95

dvguy

Quote from: giqcass on February 23, 2014, 04:17:22 PM
Quote from: dvguy on February 23, 2014, 10:00:06 AM
Honestly, who bought the Obi to use anything but Google voice, but now we must and there are many choices out there. Look at the competition. Ooma, Majic Jack (which is not that great, but still a competing device), All cable providers offer voip (top quality for $15 a month!). I am confused by the idea that large companies do not make mistakes. Microsoft had Windows ME and Windows Vista.
I just bought a second Obi knowing it would not work with Google Voice anymore.  They still make the most versatile consumer ATA devices available. 

Those $15 per month deals from the cable company are part of package deals.  Often introductory prices. Show me the bill after they tack on fees and extras.  Try ordering just phone and internet from them.  BAM!  Extra fees! 
Try just getting just phone service.  Most cable companies = not possible. 

My cable company monthly
Basic Phone = $22.62(before taxes and fees)  My cable company is also a POTS telco so it's available by itself.
Unlimited Phone = $41.95(before taxes and fees)
Phone and internet $94.95(before taxes and fees) Still no cable added!
All 3  Starts at $129.95

I guess we can agree to disagree on this. Cable is a rip but they price the phone the lowest out of the service in the cable packages. They know they have much competition in the phone area, but are basically a monopoly in my area for internet and tv. I really do not want to hijack this guys post and I hope you are right. I hate to see my obi on eBay for $3.99, but it is up to Obihai to keep there device relevant. If it were not for Obivoice I had already considered moving along. I hope they keep up there work to setup a fair price voip company. The rest of them seem kind of overpriced. Please do not take my post personal as it is just my opinion.  :o