News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Connect Vestalink to OBi100 Help

Started by tuc2k, February 28, 2014, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuc2k

Have been trying to change my OBi100 from GV to Vestalink. Using OBiTalk.com. When I choose add device and go through the dial **5 ---- and get the server to recognize my device I am asked for a password. For the life of me I don't seem to have what it is looking for. I used the word admin, I used the OBiTalk password, neither work. It eventually times out.
Could someone give me a hint as to what I'm should be entering.

bobtucson

wp74

use their (vestalink) automated tool - it works. at first I also configured my Obi 100 manually but it had kind of weird rings after that so I used automatic tool and everything works since then

wp74

...besides, don't be surprised but configuration will not be reflected in Obi portal as it works with device directly - just FYI

Toto

I was with GV also and have a obi100 like you. I just changed over to Obi voice yesterday keeping my old GV number and forwarding the OV number to it. One thing you should be aware of if this is what you are doing also, is that on the Obi voice site, their automatic setup tool leaves out one important step. You have to unplug the obi100 and then plug it back in to reboot it when the popup window tells you to wait 2 minutes.

That little piece of information was left off the setup process as of yesterday but I informed them so maybe it is included there now. Without rebooting your device, your service provider will not be changed and Google voice will not be able to verify the new number from Obi voice.

tuc2k

Quote from: wp74 on March 01, 2014, 08:55:57 AM
use their (vestalink) automated tool - it works. at first I also configured my Obi 100 manually but it had kind of weird rings after that so I used automatic tool and everything works since then

Thank you for your reply and yes I did end up using the automated tool. Complete explanation to follow.

tuc2k

Quote from: wp74 on March 01, 2014, 08:58:28 AM
...besides, don't be surprised but configuration will not be reflected in Obi portal as it works with device directly - just FYI

Thank you, information noted.

tuc2k

Quote from: Toto on March 01, 2014, 01:01:04 PM
I was with GV also and have a obi100 like you. I just changed over to Obi voice yesterday keeping my old GV number and forwarding the OV number to it. One thing you should be aware of if this is what you are doing also, is that on the Obi voice site, their automatic setup tool leaves out one important step. You have to unplug the obi100 and then plug it back in to reboot it when the popup window tells you to wait 2 minutes.

That little piece of information was left off the setup process as of yesterday but I informed them so maybe it is included there now. Without rebooting your device, your service provider will not be changed and Google voice will not be able to verify the new number from Obi voice.

Problem solved, this is what I found.
Without trying to connect to Vestalink I focused on just connecting to the OBi device from my desktop. I was able to obtain the IP address but not able to bring it up in a browser. I happened to find this article
http://blog.voipdiy.com/2013/05/obihai-obi100-how-to-login-as.html and proceeded to reset my OBi with no change.
It was about this time that I traced the network DSL/router and wireless router cabling and realized that the desktop was connected to the wireless router and the OBi was connected to the DSL/router. Can't access IP address of DSL/router w/o actually plugging in to it with my desktop network cable.
Now I could access OBi. Now I tried using the automated Vestalink setup and it worked like a charm.
I was able to move the desktop network cable back to the wireless router. Not being much of a network guru I think it ended up this way because of the way the printer is set up. Sometimes I am just happy it works and quit wondered "why it works".
Thanks to all, appreciate your support.
bob