News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Anveo for ObiTalk (Approved Service Provider)

Started by AlanB, March 04, 2014, 06:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanB

Quote from: BravoKilo on March 09, 2014, 09:42:15 AM
Thanks Alan.  I'm considering using GoogleVoice for voicemail and forwarding to Anveo for the Obi device.  If Anveo let's me spoof my number on outgoing calls, then it sounds like the main thing I'm losing when converting from GoogleVoice XMPP service to Anveo is MWI (message waiting indicator) for voicemails.

The Anveo for ObiTalk should work quite well for what you are trying to do. 

c3c3

AlanB, after porting your GV number to Anveo, is the original Anveo phone number still in your account, or was it replaced by the GV number?

AlanB

Quote from: c3c3 on March 09, 2014, 06:16:44 PM
AlanB, after porting your GV number to Anveo, is the original Anveo phone number still in your account, or was it replaced by the GV number?
It showed up as a new number on unlimited rate pal  as soon as port process was started. I was told that once port is complete I could request to have my ported number replace original. I haven't completed that yet.

c3c3

Quote from: AlanB on March 10, 2014, 09:48:37 AM
It showed up as a new number on unlimited rate pal  as soon as port process was started. I was told that once port is complete I could request to have my ported number replace original. I haven't completed that yet.

It sounds like you would be charged $2/month if you don't do anything.  Did you check any rate plan box on the porting form?  There is no box for "OBiTALK Special".

AlanB

I just hand wrote in the rate plan on the form.   I assume that's just to double check as the account number should already have the rate plan associated.

ericab

Quote from: c3c3 on March 10, 2014, 10:18:09 AM

It sounds like you would be charged $2/month if you don't do anything.  Did you check any rate plan box on the porting form?  There is no box for "OBiTALK Special".

i spoke with anveo about this as well when i was porting my att landline to them;

you need to check the "personal unlimited" box and then once your number is ported, you open a chat with them and tell them to switch it to the obitalk special.
technically the obitalk special is the exact same as personal unlimited.

BearJerCares

I'm a bit confused about the whole issue of whether to go with Anveo.  Maybe someone can help.  Right now I have a Google Voice phone number with the Obi and I also have it linked to a Callcentric phone number so I can get 911 service on my home phone, with caller ID (including with name that works most of the time).  GV also rings on my cell.  So right now I only pay $1.50 with Callcentric for the 911 service.   

With CallCentric, all incoming calls are free and I have Obi configured so it always uses GV for outgoing calls.  But if I get CallCentric for outgoing, they charge by the minute and I don't like that.  I would rather pay a flat rate, but I'm not so sure about the 250 minutes outgoing with Anveo.

The reason, though, I'm so confused is I don't know what is happening with Google Voice.  Is it going away or will we still be able to use it, if we want, but just not with our home phone anymore?  That part is as clear as mud at this point, but I know I've got to figure out something or I could miss some calls.  But since GV is always forwarded to my cell anyway, wouldn't that continue to happen?    Thanks, if anyone can help.

Malachi

Quote from: BearJerCares on March 10, 2014, 09:40:16 PM
The reason, though, I'm so confused is I don't know what is happening with Google Voice.  Is it going away or will we still be able to use it, if we want, but just not with our home phone anymore?  That part is as clear as mud at this point, but I know I've got to figure out something or I could miss some calls.  But since GV is always forwarded to my cell anyway, wouldn't that continue to happen?    Thanks, if anyone can help.

GV is not ending.. just the XMPP part. So if someone calls you on the GV number, and it's forwarded to your cell phone, you'll be able to get the call anyway.

AlanB

Google Voice is not going away. You just won't be able to receive or make calls directly.  You can get incoming calls like you are doing but will need an option to make calls.

To help keep this thread on topic I suggest that you check other threads including:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7155.0
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6867.0

BravoKilo

If the Basic plan and the Personal Unlimited plan are really the same thing, I wonder if I sign up for the latter via the Anveo web site if the SIP credentials are not hidden?  Then I could pay $3.33 per month and use and Obi100 device in addition to a Bria softphone client on the ipad perhaps?

c3c3

Quote from: BravoKilo on March 12, 2014, 04:49:30 PM
If the Basic plan and the Personal Unlimited plan are really the same thing, I wonder if I sign up for the latter via the Anveo web site if the SIP credentials are not hidden?  Then I could pay $3.33 per month and use and Obi100 device in addition to a Bria softphone client on the ipad perhaps?

Basic is roughly Personal Unlimited ($2 + $0.80 E911) + $0.53 for 250 outgoing minutes.

BravoKilo

So the advantages of going with Personal Unlimited versus BASIC are:

1. SIP credentials not hidden
  2. porting fee is included for North America  (otherwise $15)

http://anveo.com/faq.asp?code=faq_did_portin

The disadvantage is that 250 minutes for $.53 is not included (it's a 5x discount on cost per minute).

AlanB

I sent an e-mail to customer.support@anveo.com with my account number and newly ported number and told them I wanted the newly ported number to replace the number on the ObiTalk plan.  A few hours later I received a message that they had me set up.  They also automatically refunded the fees I had paid on the unlimited plan that my ported number had been assigned to.

I'll update my original post with these details as well.

dr2011

I am trying to move from GV to Anveo.  I have 2 questions:
- During the porting process (+/- 5 days), can we still use the phone?
- If I don't port my GV number, can I choose the area code for the Anveo assigned number?

thanks for the help.

AlanB

Quote from: dr2011 on March 14, 2014, 07:47:31 AM
I am trying to move from GV to Anveo.  I have 2 questions:
- During the porting process (+/- 5 days), can we still use the phone?
- If I don't port my GV number, can I choose the area code for the Anveo assigned number?
The answer is YES to both questions.

First of all, whether you port or not, you will be assigned a new Anveo number at least to use temporarily.  You can choose the area code, but it may not be close enough to home to make it a local number.

Secondly, you can use your old number during the porting process.  When you put in the port request, Anveo will add that number to your account so that it's already set up when the port is complete.  To use your old phone number you have two options.

Incoming calls:  Keep GV connected to your Obi, or forward GV to your new (temporary) Anveo number.

Outgoing calls:  Keep GV connected to your Obi as the default or use the **SPx to call via GV, or use Anveo and spoof the caller ID to the new number. 

Marty.ba.calif.usa

I recently got an Obi110, and I'm trying out some providers to decide where to port my old landline number (not on Google Voice).  I tried Vestalink first, since it was free, and it was very easy to do.  Unfortunately, they don't have any incoming filtering, which is the one thing I really want.

Then I signed up for the Anveo personal account at $2.80/month.  It works, but it's a lot more work to configure, and their website is maddening.  But I've got most of it figured out after spending a couple of hours.

One thing I don't understand is the outgoing CallerID.  I found out how to set the number, but I guess the name is whatever you used to sign up.  It acts like you can set a name in the account preferences, where there is a big list of names/phone number entries, but I can't figure out how to use it (web call only?).

It has a column labeled "SIP Dial Prefix" for each, with entries from "*01" to "*20".  I tried prefixing my dialed number with *01 to use the first one, but I get an error signal before I even finish dialing.  Anyone know how this works.  I thought perhaps there would be a way that I could use one for me, and another for my wife, which would be nice.

Terry

Quote from: Marty.ba.calif.usa on March 14, 2014, 12:52:25 PMIt has a column labeled "SIP Dial Prefix" for each, with entries from "*01" to "*20".  I tried prefixing my dialed number with *01 to use the first one, but I get an error signal before I even finish dialing.  Anyone know how this works.  I thought perhaps there would be a way that I could use one for me, and another for my wife, which would be nice.

If you look at Account Preferences | SIP device registration there is a place to indicate the default outbound caller ID. I think the custom callerID entries show up there, so you can pick one that will be used if you don't dial the special code first. I haven't experimented, but I'd guess it is trying to be helpful with its hint that "you don't have to dial *01 with the default". Did you try putting a different number in slot 2 and try *02 with that one?

I made some speed dials on my Obi and printed them off for my wife. It took me a few tries, but she has now decided that is her preferred way of making calls. Your mileage (or wife) may vary... but if she too likes the speed dial method, you could put some of those odd codes into the speed dial, after testing to make sure they do work (or perhaps asking for help if they don't work the way the instructions seem to indicate). Then once they work, give the speed dial list to your wife. When she uses it, she gets whatever outgoing callerID number you encoded with each speed dial entry. She wouldn't necessarily have to know that she is sending a different CID.

I suppose you could use the Anveo speed dial instead of or in addition to Obi's, if that turns out to be more flexible. Wouldn't work if she calls different numbers, but if she (like my wife) has about ten people she calls regularly, putting those speed dials together should be pretty easy.

Of course, I'm not sure about the outbound CNAM at this point. If that was what you wanted (the same callerID *number* but with your wife's Name) I haven't found a way to do that yet. But you could set up a different inbound number for her, either in Google Voice or CallCentric or whatever, so at least the number in her outbound CID is different.

I find CNAM isn't all that helpful these days, since it rarely gets to cell phones, and that's what most people use. But that's just me.

[edit: I just found the "Phone Number | Edit" section that says: "CallerID Name/CNAM is only available for phone numbers on Personal Unlimited or Office Unlimited rate plans."]

c3c3

Quote from: Marty.ba.calif.usa on March 14, 2014, 12:52:25 PMThen I signed up for the Anveo personal account at $2.80/month.

Check this under "Manage Phone Numbers".  I have Basic, so there is no option for outbound CNAM:

"CallerID Name/CNAM Storage For Outbound Calls 

CallerID Name/CNAM is only available for phone numbers on Personal Unlimited or Office Unlimited rate plans."

c3c3

Quote from: AlanB on March 04, 2014, 06:03:39 PM
7) Minor detail but Anveo cycles all end on the 14th of the month.  So, your first month will be prorated and the difference will be credited to your account balance to be used as necessary.

It looks like the outbound minutes are based on the actual sign up date, not the 15th-to-14th billing cycle.  Today is the 15th, and my outbound minutes have not reset.

AlanB

Quote from: c3c3 on March 15, 2014, 12:18:13 PM
Quote from: AlanB on March 04, 2014, 06:03:39 PM
7) Minor detail but Anveo cycles all end on the 14th of the month.  So, your first month will be prorated and the difference will be credited to your account balance to be used as necessary.

It looks like the outbound minutes are based on the actual sign up date, not the 15th-to-14th billing cycle.  Today is the 15th, and my outbound minutes have not reset.
I noticed the same thing. I wonder when they reset.