News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBiTALK Approved Service Provider Program

Started by Marketing, February 11, 2014, 03:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c3c3

Johnny

Quote from: c3c3 on March 31, 2014, 12:27:46 PM
Quote from: Johnny on March 31, 2014, 12:18:19 PM
Didn't care for how they handled a few things.

Such as?

Well, without going into intricate details, let's just say I didn't care for how some billing and support issues were handled.

The service itself seemed fine, I just thought they could have handled my other issues better.  Probably just me. ;D

As long as the refunds come through, I'll be a happy camper.....

AlanB

Anveo has upped the minutes in their plans (and given them new names).

http://www.anveo.com/anveoforobitalk.asp

They have also included additional countries in the $84/year plan. 

I've been on Anveo for a month now and very happy with call quality.

CLTGreg

Quote from: AlanB on March 31, 2014, 06:58:41 PM

Whoa, that's tempting especially for those of us already paying the E911 fee.

jesseasi

Quote from: CLTGreg on April 01, 2014, 09:28:22 AM

Ok so how exactly do you get this deal?  When going to Anveo from the link on Obitalk - I don't see these plans.

CLTGreg

Quote from: jesseasi on April 01, 2014, 10:15:40 AM

Ok so how exactly do you get this deal?  When going to Anveo from the link on Obitalk - I don't see these plans.

If you go through the signup process it presents the new plan. I just did and 1000 minutes show on my dashboard.

jesseasi

Quote from: CLTGreg on April 01, 2014, 10:22:55 AM
Quote from: jesseasi on April 01, 2014, 10:15:40 AM

If you go through the signup process it presents the new plan. I just did and 1000 minutes show on my dashboard.

Excellent - I just discovered the same thing.  Now next dumb question - It takes me to a point where I have to assign a number - how do I go about porting in my google numbers?

MikeHObi

Quote from: jesseasi on April 01, 2014, 11:12:44 AM

Excellent - I just discovered the same thing.  Now next dumb question - It takes me to a point where I have to assign a number - how do I go about porting in my google numbers?

Anveo has a FAQ for porting.
https://www.anveo.com/faq.asp?code=faq_did_portin

You will need to first unlock your google voice numbers before starting the port with Anveo.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

AlanB

Quote from: jesseasi on April 01, 2014, 11:12:44 AM

In addition to the response you already got, I suggest you check out this forum topic as well for additional useful info on your plan.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7391.0

bdwill

I was having a similar issue signing up for the Obitalk special with Anveo using my existing Anveo account. The account was established so that I could have an account to reference when porting my number from Vonage (and to tinker while waiting for the port). I followed the links for Anveo on the Obitalk ASP page and Obitalk said that my device was re-provisioned but I was never transferred to an Anveo page for payment nor was my account updated to reflect the plan change.

The workaround is to sign up for the Obitalk special with Anveo with a new account then contact customer.support@anveo.com stating that you want your phone number and account balance to be transferred to the new account number. Surprisingly, this request was completed within a few hours.

As an aside regarding my number port from Vonage, it was complete in 7 days.

StanAdams

Just looking for a service that has unlimited incoming calls I can use with my Obi100. Not bothered about calling out - I can do that using gmail.

MikeHObi

Quote from: StanAdams on April 14, 2014, 10:39:37 PM
Just looking for a service that has unlimited incoming calls I can use with my Obi100. Not bothered about calling out - I can do that using gmail.

callcentric Free NY DID has free incoming minutes and zero cost for the phone.  No outgoing.

danielbliss

Quote from: MikeHObi on April 01, 2014, 12:50:28 PM

You will need to first unlock your google voice numbers before starting the port with Anveo.

This might be a stupid question (first time poster here), but is it really necessary to port my google voice number?  Can't I just use any old number that Anveo (or whatever voip provider) gives me and then (1) spoof the caller ID to show my GV number on outgoing calls, and (2) forward calls made to my GV number to ring the assigned Anveo number?

I just want to be sure I'm not missing a reason why porting a GV number is necessary.

Thanks,
Dan

AlanB

Quote from: danielbliss on April 15, 2014, 08:02:01 PM
Quote from: MikeHObi on April 01, 2014, 12:50:28 PM

This might be a stupid question (first time poster here), but is it really necessary to port my google voice number?  Can't I just use any old number that Anveo (or whatever voip provider) gives me and then (1) spoof the caller ID to show my GV number on outgoing calls, and (2) forward calls made to my GV number to ring the assigned Anveo number?

I just want to be sure I'm not missing a reason why porting a GV number is necessary.

Thanks,
Dan

You do not need to port your number. There are pros and cons for doing so and are discussed throughout the forum. Easiest short term answer is not to port.

BobssintheForum

Another plug for Callcentric - great suite of services. I love their forwarding, multiple phone ring, many other features.

MikeHObi

Quote from: danielbliss on April 15, 2014, 08:02:01 PM
This might be a stupid question (first time poster here), but is it really necessary to port my google voice number? 

Google has had and continues to have some problems with completing calls to some phone numbers held by a number of VOIP providers.  The problem started sometime around November of 2013.  Many numbers are unaffected and many numbers are.  You never know if yours will be affected until you try.

I ported because I had numbers that were affected with 3 different voip providers.  If you can forward without problems then there are no compelling reasons to port.

AlanB

While I answered that you don't need to port, I did as well. My call quality on incoming calls has improved.

Taoman

Quote from: MikeHObi on April 16, 2014, 02:15:54 PM

Google has had and continues to have some problems with completing calls to some phone numbers held by a number of VOIP providers.  The problem started sometime around November of 2013.  Many numbers are unaffected and many numbers are.  You never know if yours will be affected until you try.

So it is your understanding that it just affects some numbers and not others?

The reason I ask is that I got a free Callcentric DID a week ago and use it as a forwarded number in GV. My understanding is that this affects the free CC DIDs but not the paid CC DIDs. Yet I have tested my free CC DID as much as possible and so far it has worked perfectly with no dropped/incompleted calls and with correct CID passed every time. Based on your post I'm trying to figure out whether I may have lucked out with a "good" DID number that doesn't suffer from this issue or is it more likely I just haven't run into it yet and it's just a matter of time?

danielbliss

Thanks, all.  I just successfully registered an outbound account with circlenet.us (taking advantage of their $2 credit offer) and will, as of May 15th, switch to circlenet for outgoing calls and will continue to rely on my free callcentric did for incoming calls (using GV number forwarded to callcentric).  I prefer the pay-as-you-go approach, especially given circlenet's extremely inexpensive prices (I never make international calls, and my outbounds probably don't amount to more than 300 min. per month).

The callcentric number has served me well for over a year now for inbounds without dropped calls.  I migrated to an Obi202 from a Linksys PAP2T - GV - sipgate - SipSorcery combination for many years (got a bit weary of programming dial plans in ruby, though!).