News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV PhonePower Forwarding problem and no ring

Started by fwunder, April 10, 2014, 12:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fwunder

OK, strange happenings today after signing up the the PhonePower offer.

Initially everything was great just walking through the provided setup. Then, things started getting strange...

Sometimes calls forward to GV, sometimes to PhonePower. Always to voicemail on either service and phone stopped ringing.

GV currently setup with *one* forward to PhonePower number. No Google Chat. Call GV number and GV voicemail picks it up (no forward). Call PhonePower number and PhonePower voicemail picks it up. Phone hooked to OBi 100 never rings.

Outgoing from OBi 100 connected phone works *but* with no outgoing caller ID.

This is nutz. Was working fine this AM. Thanks for any guidance!

fwunder

Mark this as resolved!

I have to say the folks at PhonePower are remarkable! Two chat sessions with incredibly persistent and patient level 2 techs resolved the issue!

I highly recommend those folks!

gtrobi

exactly, what's the fix.  i have the same issues, but their support has not resolved it.

Hank_OBI

I am curious on this one as well as I have had it happen twice.

I will say I am impressed with Phonepower support techs as I used them for a different issue, I guess I could just cal them to figure it out, but thought if it wasn't too lengthy you could post the fix.

Thanks

rodan

Quote from: gtrobi on May 06, 2014, 09:26:43 AM
exactly, what's the fix.  i have the same issues, but their support has not resolved it.

I have similar problem, called PP tech support,  he told me it was a GV issue, and would not help me..

Will start a new thread in this menu with my issue, as it may not be exactly the same.

rodan

Quote from: rodan on May 08, 2014, 05:48:22 AM
Quote from: gtrobi on May 06, 2014, 09:26:43 AM

I have similar problem, called PP tech support,  he told me it was a GV issue, and would not help me..

Will start a new thread in this menu with my issue, as it may not be exactly the same.

I called PP tech second time, after I tried to fix problem through the troubleshooting in Obi.

After explaining to him steps I did to switch from GV to PP, ( he actually listened to what I was saying ), and how I wanted my setup, he referred me to a tier 2 tech. 

He had me log into my account at phonepower.com, go to " Call Forwarding " on the menu down the left side of screen.  In there, you are supposed to have:

Ring  xxx-xxx-xxxx  (this is your new phone power number, have this selection dotted )

The "forward all calls to " and " use the rules below " are not to be selected.

The problem I had, ( phone not ringing and going directly to GV voicemail ), was I had this set up incorrectly. I had added a user rule, and, the " ring " field was NOT selected.

One the tier 2 tech had me change this, ( took a few seconds ) I was off and running.   He even took the time to have me hang up, he called my GV phone number, and, it rang the phone in my home immediately. Then, he dialed my new PP number, and it too rang my phone.

When I signed up with PP, had I just followed the steps in the " approved provider " section of obi's website, I think I would have not have any problems. 

In my case, my thoughts were since I wanted to keep using GV voicemail, I needed to make a change in that " Call Forwarding " section, of phonepower menu.  That messed up my configuration.

Anyway, it's working fine now.  My problem may not have been specifically the same as the OP, but, probably the tier 2 tech had the OP make a change in the " Call Forwarding " section of PP.

smossoo

google Voice will not connect with my Phone Power number to allow me to verify it so I can set up Call Forwarding.  I can forward calls from GV to my cell, but not to PP.  I have placed three calls to PP tech support and no one has been successful in solving this problem.  Any suggestions?

Lexi

Same problem here. My GV number is forwarded to my home, cell & work number. My cell & work phones ring, but my home phone connected with Obi does not ring. Phone power says it's a google forwarding problem. I thought I signed up with Phone Power because it was going to be the workaround for the May 15 change???  I use my GV number for work and need my home phone to ring.

I have no rules under my PP forwarding and my GV is picking up my messages just fine.

If anyone has the answer for this fix, please post, thank you!!

rodan

Quote from: Lexi on May 15, 2014, 06:14:03 PM
Same problem here. My GV number is forwarded to my home, cell & work number. My cell & work phones ring, but my home phone connected with Obi does not ring. Phone power says it's a google forwarding problem. I thought I signed up with Phone Power because it was going to be the workaround for the May 15 change???  I use my GV number for work and need my home phone to ring.

I have no rules under my PP forwarding and my GV is picking up my messages just fine.

Log into your Phone power account at phonepower.com, and click on the "call forwarding" button,
on the menu at the left of screen.  

I have the "Ring" dotted, and the phone number there is my new PP number, not GV.

The other two fields are not dotted.
(forward all calls to" none)
(use the rules below none)

After I switched to PP, following the approved VOIP provider method link, I had these fields configured incorrectly, and, had similar problem of my phone not ringing.  PP tech had me set it just like I posted here.  

Then went to my GV voicemail settings, and was able to verify my newly added Phone Power number there.
Everything worked fine for me, then.

This may or may not be your problem, as we all have different setups, but, it's worth a check.

Lexi

Quote from: rodan on May 16, 2014, 05:18:25 AM
Quote from: Lexi on May 15, 2014, 06:14:03 PM
Same problem here. My GV number is forwarded to my home, cell & work number. My cell & work phones ring, but my home phone connected with Obi does not ring. Phone power says it's a google forwarding problem. I thought I signed up with Phone Power because it was going to be the workaround for the May 15 change???  I use my GV number for work and need my home phone to ring.

Log into your Phone power account at phonepower.com, and click on the "call forwarding" button,
on the menu at the left of screen.  

I have the "Ring" dotted, and the phone number there is my new PP number, not GV.

The other two fields are not dotted.
(forward all calls to" none)
(use the rules below none)

After I switched to PP, following the approved VOIP provider method link, I had these fields configured incorrectly, and, had similar problem of my phone not ringing.  PP tech had me set it just like I posted here.  

Then went to my GV voicemail settings, and was able to verify my newly added Phone Power number there.
Everything worked fine for me, then.

This may or may not be your problem, as we all have different setups, but, it's worth a check.

Thank you Rodan. I had all of the settings at PP correct, but my home phone still did not ring.

As of last night, I deleted PP from my Obi SP1 and reconnected GV to my SP1 and everything works great again.  Don't know how long this will last, of course. Maybe Google is giving us a few more days until cut off.  Very disappointed that PP was the workaround and it did not work. Will be asking for a refund and looking for an alternative unless what I have now keeps working by some miracle, fingers crossed!