News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Sets the Date for the End of XMPP with Google Voice

Started by AntonS, October 31, 2013, 05:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

I know this doesn't neatly fit into this topic, but it is related and ties in with the concerns about the future of GV and whether Google will cancel the service or try to downplay it, etc.

I just heard on TV that Facebook is going to begin offering free phone calls. I don't have the details, but this would indicate that these kinds of offerings will only INCREASE, not decrease. So, I guess the moral of the story is don't worry, everything will be ok.

dircom

Just remember, as others have previously posted--
Nothing is free, there is a cost, you just have to determine if the costs (known or unknown) present a value

dvguy

Quote from: Phokus on October 31, 2013, 06:45:05 PM
So they're not going to even attempt to adapt the OBI products to Google Hangouts? :(

No. You can try obivoice, I am. They are not part of Obihai, but they offer decent deals. As far as I am concerned I am glad they are not part of Obihai as Obihai's support is terrible.

MikeHObi

Someone did a decent analysis of some of the available options and prices  for 500 in and out minutes over at DSLReports.  Here is a link to the post which is about as close to an apples to apples comparison that I've seen.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29054991-
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

PatrickRyan

As we get closer to May 15th and the end of Google's XXMP support for the Obi I have been stumbling around for an alternative to making calls with Google Voice. Currently we have 2 Google Voice accounts (configured on SP1 & SP2). We use the Google Voice as primary numbers and forward calls to two separate cell phones. On one of the cell phones I'm using Csipsimple and a DID on a subaccount from voip.ms to avoid using cell phone plan minutes. That subaccount is not registered the Obi20 although it could be. I have a second DID currently registered to the Obi200 (SP3) and intend to use it as a GV forwarding number come May. The main account with voip.ms is also not currently registered to the Obi. If I register the main account to the Obi can I use it for outbound calls after May? Ideally I'd like to be able to use either of the GV numbers as outgoing caller ID numbers and keep it as simple as possible for others in the house who use the phones. I have read many threads on voice gateways, trunks, and dial plans but usually end up confused by the obtuse nature of the Administration Guide. I'm trying to educate myself about all this stuff as I suspect many others are.
It is abundantly clear that this forum is blessed with kind and clever Obi experts who are generous with advice. These nuggets of wisdom are spread across time and topics in the forum pages. There doesn't seem to be a so called Wiki Page that pulls it all together. At times the discussions are way "inside baseball" and I have trouble following. Regardless, is there a way to master this device and share the typical configurations in an orderly way?

SteveInWA

Hi Patrick:

So, you're ahead of the pack, in that you already have experience with a SIP VoIP ITSP (voip.ms).  Given that you know how to set up voip.ms accounts and sub-accounts, all you need to do is:

• Decide which voip.ms DID inbound numbers to use for which purposes
  • Configure those DIDs on your OBi as SP1-4 as appropriate to your needs (replacing the existing GV configurations)
  • Configure your voip.ms account to "spoof" your Google Voice phone number's CID for outbound calls on those DIDs
  • Configure your Google Voice settings, to forward to one or more of those DIDs as you wish, here:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones
  • Remove the check mark next to the Google Chat pseudo-phone
  • Enjoy

texasguy

How and where to configure your voip.ms account to "spoof" your Google Voice phone number's CID for outbound calls on those DIDs?

SteveInWA

Quote from: texasguy on April 22, 2014, 12:23:04 PM
How and where to configure your voip.ms account to "spoof" your Google Voice phone number's CID for outbound calls on those DIDs?

http://wiki.voip.ms/article/Caller_ID

BatterseaPS

Quote from: SteveInWA on March 06, 2014, 06:40:17 PM
Hi Patrick:

So, you're ahead of the pack, in that you already have experience with a SIP VoIP ITSP (voip.ms).  Given that you know how to set up voip.ms accounts and sub-accounts, all you need to do is:

• Decide which voip.ms DID inbound numbers to use for which purposes
  • Configure those DIDs on your OBi as SP1-4 as appropriate to your needs (replacing the existing GV configurations)
  • Configure your voip.ms account to "spoof" your Google Voice phone number's CID for outbound calls on those DIDs
  • Configure your Google Voice settings, to forward to one or more of those DIDs as you wish, here:  https://www.google.com/voice#phones
  • Remove the check mark next to the Google Chat pseudo-phone
  • Enjoy

Thanks for this. Do you have any experience with it? Does it add any noticeable lag or interference?

SteveInWA

Depending on the quality of your own internet connection, and the overall quality of the Internet Telephone Service Provider (ITSP) you select, the added latency can be negligible (not noticed, or not objectionable).  Some ITSPs use cheaper, poor-quality call routes, and that might impact call quality for their customers.  As always, your mileage may vary, but most users should notice no difference.

Meitiv

I have transitioned from the Obi -> Google XMPP to using Callcentric's free DID for incoming calls and Asterisk running on the Belkin WiFi router (with DD-WRT) which initiates automatic GV callback.  The details of setting up Asterisk for user transparent callback can be found here:

http://hobbiesbytwinclouds.wordpress.com/2014/02/07/how-to-make-and-receive-call-using-google-voice-without-xmpp/