News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is anyone cut off from GV yet?

Started by mo832, May 15, 2014, 08:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

So, today is the day, boys and girls!

Has anyone noticed GV stop working? I just made a test outgoing call from my GV line, and it still works normally.

I am interested in other people's experience of what happens/will happen. Either today or tomorrow or in the next few days, will it just go dead? Will nothing happen? Will there be a message? Will Google Chat disappear from the choices on the GV setup screen?

Inquiring minds want to know!

vtsnaab

Just made an IFTTT recipe for an hourly call into my main GV number to see when it's croaked ?!?

PCDoctor

i got 2 obi's. switched mom and dad to phonepower (easy and cheap) yesterday.  im trying to see if hangouts on a wifi only iphone is a viable free alternative. its not quite there yet.  anyway i was waiting for it to actually go out before i made my mind up on my second obi.  but so far its working today.  maybe the cutoff is midnight.  i think the only good alternative is phonepower.  the switch was automatic. configured my box and everything. easiest thing i ever did in voip.  lol 2 words that dont go together

PCDoctor

Harvey

Google would not be following normal courtesy procedures for a corporation if it did not give at least until 11:59 pm tonight PDT.  So I would expect that the OP would not need any further replies until after that time.

Ostracus

I'm more interested in what Obihai does with the empty slot?

giqcass

Sounds like Obihai plans to do nothing with the empty slot based on the web chat they did.  I do not consider the individual that gave the response as an authority on that aspect however.  

I expect XMPP to cutoff at 12am PDT May 16 or possibly when they resume operations on the 16th at around 9am PDT.  It's hard to know what the cutoff entails.  It may even go down in segments.  I guess we are all just speculating at this point.

EDIT: Well 12am PDT May 16 has came and went.
Long live our new ObiLords!

ant17

Just noticed that GV forward sent my call to another GV phone to VM. That phone has vestalink with the GV # forwarded, but didn't this time.
FLASH!!  just tried it now and it rang, so GV forward is spotty at best.

ANYWAY check out this.

Why wait when this free service is available now, and callcentric provides a free incoming phone number too.

Many "no wait" options here folks!

Totally free, in and outbound-->http://kot.voip01.com/

enjoy

ap

cdog999

Quote from: ant17 on May 16, 2014, 07:58:57 AM
Just noticed that GV forward sent my call to another GV phone to VM. That phone has vestalink with the GV # forwarded, but didn't this time.

ANYWAY check out this.

Why wait when this free service is available now, and callcentric provides a free incoming phone number too.

enjoy

ap
Is this for real?  or just an attempt to steal Personal information

jcrouch

Quote from: cdog999 on May 16, 2014, 08:01:36 AM
Quote from: ant17 on May 16, 2014, 07:58:57 AM

ANYWAY check out this.

enjoy

ap
Is this for real?  or just an attempt to steal Personal information

I am ignoring all of these 'free' offers for now. Kind of fishy that they decide to 'welcome' themselves to Obi the day after GV is set to go down. Why didn't they show up sooner when everyone was looking for a replacement?

7Priest7

Quote from: jcrouch on May 16, 2014, 08:25:06 AM
I am ignoring all of these 'free' offers for now. Kind of fishy that they decide to 'welcome' themselves to Obi the day after GV is set to go down. Why didn't they show up sooner when everyone was looking for a replacement?

GrooveIP users have been given a free offer for Ring.to.
The reason I didn't know about that till today is because the GrooveIP update was pushed today.
I backed my old GVoice GrooveIP then reverted after signing up for ring.to.
If XMPP support never goes down, I would be so happy.

vtsnaab

Ant17 seems to be affiliated with this http://kot.voip01.com/ thing by the fact that it has been in this person's most recent postings repeatedly...

Also, see here:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8073

This interests me greatly though:
QuoteGrooveIP users have been given a free offer for Ring.to.
As I just got my very 1st Android phone for this transitional time...

PCDoctor

my obi is still working with gv today????

paulsalem

Rosemot

All my 3 Obi110 are still working as of now.

crystal19

America is built on Free-dom of speech. They cannot take away our right to speak freely :o :o :o :o
Google tried remove XMPP on April 1st but got delayed by 45 days.

gderf

I think we should open a half dozen threads with many posts in each, day after day, over in the Google support forum, telling them that GV XMPP still works, it's past May 15, yadda, yadda, ying.

Maybe then they will shut it off?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

Kage

Quote from: gderf on May 16, 2014, 04:48:23 PM
I think we should open a half dozen threads with many posts in each, day after day, over in the Google support forum, telling them that GV XMPP still works, it's past May 15, yadda, yadda, ying.

Maybe then they will shut it off?

Why do you want to shut it off? Or is there supposed to be a sarcasm tag somewhere?

swg0101

Now it would be interesting if Google does change their minds and leave XMPP open - although maybe they are just delayed because in my Google Apps I still see the old dialer style (which I assume uses XMPP)... The official Gmail users I believe got a new updated dialer though..

7Priest7

Let's not forget.
They announced the shutdown ~6months ago.

They had plenty of time to prepare, they probably never intended to shut it down.
Probably just a joke.