News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Free service is available

Started by ant17, May 16, 2014, 08:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ant17

Why wait when this (Kot voip)  free service is available now, and callcentric provides a free incoming phone number too. I have the free incoming set up on SP2, and free Kot on sp1.

Many "no wait" options here folks!

Totally free, in and outbound-->http://kot.voip01.com/

enjoy

ap

vtsnaab

Why wait ?!?

OK, I'll bite.

Many reasons are clearly visible to the most casual of observers...

That site looks like it was made by an ambitious kid and not by any sort of stable group of people, and how it explains itself is not at all encouraging IMO=>
QuoteKoT VOIP (kot.voip01.com - King of Tweaks' VOIP, the #01)

It also says there for all to see:
Quote* Direct Google Voice dialing
    * Use any VOIP provider
    * Works through proxy, firewall and VPN
    * VO3G, smartphone and tablet friendly
    * Free

Login/Register (ignore the certificate warning)

Donate $10 or more for 1 year of paid service, thank you!
Donate with Card
Donate with PayPal
To this old man's eyes it looks like something made by someone who wants access to a great many folks' credentials and services - and for what purpose, I don't even want to guess...?!?

Ignore the certificate warning ?!?
Yikes.

Free ?? Or not free ??

It has no known VOIP or Obi reputation (or others here would have brought it up months ago).

And - here's the kicker:
Do a whois check on kot.voip01.com and the most important thing revealed is that it appears to be running on a dynamic DNS, which most likely means it is on some sort of (home ?) server that does not have a fixed IP.

Has anyone tried this yet, and maybe have some experience-based info to add ??

Thanks.

ipse

Nothing personal ant17, but I have a hard time trusting this solution.
Within a few days Ring.to will probably be a safer alternative - I'll wait rather than give away my GV credentials like that.
Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain

yosif

vtsnaab and ipse,
I have tested KoT VOIP with IPKall and IPComms. It works very well. It is free. You should not expose your important Google Voice credentials. Just create a new Gmail, Google Voice account for KoT VOIP use. You can transfer your Google Voice number between accounts if you want to preserve that number and use it with Kot VOIP. Don't put any money into that Google account and there is nothing left to be afraid of.

vtsnaab

Hi Yosif.
QuoteI have tested KoT VOIP with IPKall and IPComms. It works very well. It is free.
Very good news that you have tested that offering !!
I do use IPKall but have seen here that IPComms tends to delete users when they feel like it, so that one does not appeal to me.

I've never put any money into or through ANY google services, nor would I ever do so:
QuoteYou should not expose your important Google Voice credentials. Just create a new Gmail, Google Voice account for KoT VOIP use. You can transfer your Google Voice number between accounts if you want to preserve that number and use it with Kot VOIP. Don't put any money into that Google account and there is nothing left to be afraid of.

My goal is to be as free as possible from the Big G these days, so making yet another account of any kind with them is not attractive to me; and as to this Kot VOIP idea, it looks to me like something that will only be around a short while, so I'd rather use an ITSP with some years behind it already like Future Nine for my main home phone service - and since it's looking like Android + Wifi is a good, almost free cellular replacement, this Kot thing is just a curiosity for me and nothing more.

Thanks.

Harley

blocked red-x
Symantec logo
Malicious Web Site Blocked

You attempted to access:
http://kot.voip01.com/

This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this site. The detailed report explains the security risks on this site.

For your protection, this web site has been blocked. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.

swg0101

Sorry, but I never see a legitimate site that asks someone to ignore certificate errors. I would rather pay for something more trustworthy if this is the case, at least that solves the "ringback issue" with Google... :)

vtsnaab

These folks definitely have the right ideas=>
Quote from: Harley on May 16, 2014, 05:18:05 PM
You attempted to access:
This is a known malicious web site.

Quote from: swg0101 on May 16, 2014, 05:34:45 PM
Sorry, but I never see a legitimate site that asks someone to ignore certificate errors. I would rather pay for something more trustworthy if this is the case, at least that solves the "ringback issue" with Google...

If it was a legit sort of thing it would have valid stuff all around & not likely be blocked by an AV either.

yosif

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 16, 2014, 05:43:18 PM
These folks definitely have the right ideas=>
You attempted to access:
This is a known malicious web site.

Quote from: swg0101 on May 16, 2014, 05:34:45 PM
Sorry, but I never see a legitimate site that asks someone to ignore certificate errors. I would rather pay for something more trustworthy if this is the case, at least that solves the "ringback issue" with Google...

If it was a legit sort of thing it would have valid stuff all around & not likely be blocked by an AV either.

You and Harley and swg0101 do not want to use KoT VOIP. Would you please allow others to use it? They want free service and may not care about Symantec or signed certificate.

vtsnaab

Incorrect impression here:
Quote from: yosif on May 16, 2014, 06:50:40 PM
You and Harley and swg0101 do not want to use KoT VOIP. Would you please allow others to use it? They want free service and may not care about Symantec or signed certificate.
Both of those objections pertain to what are now quite often cybercrime-based sites.
Myself and the two others have tried to WARN others with our replies in this thread (and other threads).

If you and anyone else wish to take risks with such things as fake HTTPS certs and sites which AV companies have flagged as being dangerous - that is certainly your choice to make.

=>BUT<=
Urging others to take such risks - especially if they do not comprehend such risks and are mislead by the word 'free' alone - is just plain WRONG to do and it is this user's hope that you may consider being more responsible than to do such things to unwary users anymore.

Jackson

blocked red-x
Symantec logo
Malicious Web Site Blocked

You attempted to access:

This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this site. The detailed report explains the security risks on this site.

For your protection, this web site has been blocked. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.
Hmmm... I had no problem with this site, yet Chrome no longer allows me to login to DSLReports.

QuoteTechnical details

The certificate that Chrome received during this connection attempt is not formatted correctly, so Chrome cannot use it to protect your information.
Error type: Malformed certificate
Subject: secure.dslreports.com

And Chrome no longer has an 'ignore' option.

yosif

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 16, 2014, 09:01:20 PM
Incorrect impression here:
Quote from: yosif on May 16, 2014, 06:50:40 PM
Both of those objections pertain to what are now quite often cybercrime-based sites.
Myself and the two others have tried to WARN others with our replies in this thread (and other threads).

If you and anyone else wish to take risks with such things as fake HTTPS certs and sites which AV companies have flagged as being dangerous - that is certainly your choice to make.

=>BUT<=
Urging others to take such risks - especially if they do not comprehend such risks and are mislead by the word 'free' alone - is just plain WRONG to do and it is this user's hope that you may consider being more responsible than to do such things to unwary users anymore.

Thank you for teaching me a lesson to take seriously any random quote or warning you will be able to find. You may not like it, but I don't consider Symantec to be a good and trusted anti-virus program. My antivirus program did not scream fraud. It is quite common to use a self-signed certificate, unless it is for a commercial product.  The developer does not want to buy a certificate and the warnings are for users to make their own decisions. However you shouldn't try that product.

Taoman

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 16, 2014, 09:01:20 PM
.......take risks with such things as fake HTTPS certs and sites which AV companies have flagged as being dangerous - that is certainly your choice to make.

Let's regroup, shall we? I was also highly suspicious when I first became aware of this site a few months ago. However, a self-signed cert is not a "fake HTTPS cert." Fake implies fraud and there is no evidence of that. This is not a commercial site so self-signed certs are commonplace. AFAIK, the only AV flashing a warning on this site is Symantec and if you actually follow the links the warnings are pretty benign. If it was a real threat all AV products would be throwing warnings left and right. That isn't happening. This site has been around awhile and been discussed on DSLreports.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29105314-General-Newbie-Q-Is-this-is-a-legit-solution-for-OBi-GV-after-May-

Have I used this site? No.
Would I use this site? No.
Would I recommend this site? No.

However, if used as recommended with a dedicated Google account and credentials and a free DID there is very little risk involved. It's doing the same thing as SipSorcery is doing: initiating a web callback session. It is certainly prudent to be cautious but in this case, AFAIK, there is no history or evidence of anything nefarious going on here. In my view, the biggest risk with this site is that it might just disappear one day.

giqcass

Here is my biggest problem with the website.  It is being run on host names provided by a dynamic DNS host.
Have a look here.
http://www.voip01.com/

I think this is being run out of someones home.  At least fork up $10 for a real domain name. 
www.dnsdynamic.org
Long live our new ObiLords!

Harley

Pay your money and get in line, it's always your choice however what do you gain by going to these suspicious websites. There are many reputable voip sites out there you don't have to take foolish chances. I offed this response in order to be helpful but as always it's your dime so do what you will, I was just giving a heads up to a possible malicious site. Have a grateful day.

rastoma

Quote from: Taoman on May 17, 2014, 12:49:18 AM

However, a self-signed cert is not a "fake HTTPS cert."

True.  But SSL certs are $10/year.  If someone can't put out $10/year for securities sake, then they have no interest in protecting you at all.