News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is anyone cut off from GV yet?

Started by mo832, May 15, 2014, 08:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swg0101

I wouldn't think it's a joke, since Google usually pick other stuff to joke about (considering what they have done during April Fools day.)
Joking about shutting off something like this will definitely get haters behind their backs, so I don't think this is it...

Mrwirez

I can receive incoming GV calls but, I  cannot make GV outgoing calls from my Obi100.

I signed up with PhonePower last night since I could not get Vestalink to configure [tried for 2 days]. The PP service seems solid and at $60/year is not bad....  BUT it is not free either..

Sigh....  Obi and GV saved me $$HUNDREDS$$! Komikast was about $25/month two + years ago..

One small rant I have is:  Friggin Google killed of so many great apps to make way for Google+ and Hangouts, it's a real shame. I personally HATE G+ and Hangouts. They are invasive P.O.S. that I continually have to block and delete...

OK.. rant over... all is well

GC_convertee

my 202 still working outbound 1140am pst
purchased a $30 vestalink plan before their "offer expired" but havent tried to set it up yet
I actually have 5 gv nums and a obi202 and and obi 101
GrandCentral in 2004, had Gizmo5 acct
Analog Fax working IB & OB...
efax acct revoked
faxzero.com (<=2 free/$2 for 3+pgs)
Linksys SPA-2102 ATA 2 Sipgate lines/free accts, $20 balance for OB faxes dialing
Obi110 2 GV accts No POTS/FXO
Panasonic kx-tga939t Dect Cordless -  Ans machine OFF

Rustifer

05/17/14 - 2:08pm - Still working.  :)

mrandradej

I hope there is a set in stone statement soon by Google. Hopefully before 30 days so I can decide whether or not to get my refund from PhonePower.

LonnieMcClure

I tested again at 9:57 PM CDT 05/17/2014, and I am still able to make outbound calls using my Obi110 & Google Voice.

Inbound calls appear to be another matter, however. I had someone call me earlier today to test that, and my phone never rang, although my Google Hangouts app on my iPod Touch did.

I was able to pick up the call on my iPod Touch with no problem, but until I connected a headset, it sounded like the other person was in a noisy room, although they stated I sounded fine.

swg0101

I think Google Voice has some issues with forwarding to certain numbers, like the Callcentric ones if you got the free NY numbers. I haven't had any issues forwarding to normal cell or landline phones though...

kittyworld

Last night after getting no inbound calls (didn't test out-bounding calls) I signed up w/ PhonePower. The service is for my mom and she won't tolerate it being glitchy or unreliable. $35 a year isn't bad at all. I used to pay that much per month! With 2 free years of GV I saved a lot of money, so I really can't complain if I no longer have free phone service.

PCDoctor

mines down in and out.  time to go to hangouts on an old iphone for free or phonepower for $60/yr with my obi

PCDoctor

nevermind, i plugged it back in and made a call with it  so???

Crow550

I didn't update GrooveIP and I went to make a call and the other end could not hear me.

Others are starting to report this and these aren't all GrooveIP users. So maybe this is happening in groups?

Orple

I have continued to use GV as usual, other than for a few hours the morning of the 20th. First I could hear him but not the other way around, then the next call he could hear me but I couldn't hear him. I called out from gmail and all was fine. Because GV had been working normally, I had unchecked forwarding that number to the free incoming callcentric account I set up on the 13th. After I had this problem I began forwarding again but a call didn't come through, either because it took some time to get the flow going normally or maybe it was on google's end. I read in their forum they were doing an update so that may be why the problem. Even though they say  in the GV forum, google chat no longer works, I am still using it, have not switched to hangouts. Maybe that will change, maybe not.

I had a thought that may be wrong but thought I'd share. The official statement from google never used the phrase, '3rd party hardware', only '3rd party applications' or aps. Now, the adapter is hardware and Obion is a software app, like talkatone, correct? I'm wondering if they have disabled the ability to use that ap but it has nothing to do with the adapter. I can run what ever software on my pc that is compatibale with the OS but a new OS can make old software or aps unusable.

I have GV forward to free incoming Callcentric acount with free DID. I set up outgoing PAYG with them also, should I need to use it. I have google chat checked in GV, speakers and microphone, a humble set up. So far the only cost is the 911. I couldn't make myself lie to get out of it.  ::) But, I might feel guilty if I used them without giving them anything at all.

Harley

I have Phone Power on SP1 and Google Voice on Sp2 and everything works fine.  I have PP lite so in order to  share the load I'm going to use GV as long as I can.  Most of our calls are short 5 or 10 minutes so these phone calls are handled on SP1 which is Phone Power. For those long winded folks and relatives that  talk a lot I program our phone with their phone number preceded by **2  (**2xxxxxxxxxx) and put them on SP2 which is GV and this works out great, and cut down on more expensive long outgoing calls. This process translates in substantial cost savings each month.  If and when GV  goes dark I will put circlenet or some other less expensive voip provider on SP2 to replace GV. All is good.

zorlac

"If and when GV  goes dark I will put circlenet or some other less expensive voip provider on SP2 to replace GV. All is good."

Just be aware that CN is outbound only, really cheap rates though.

Ostracus

Quote from: 7Priest7 on May 17, 2014, 08:14:40 AM
Let's not forget.
They announced the shutdown ~6months ago.

They had plenty of time to prepare, they probably never intended to shut it down.
Probably just a joke.

Anyone laughing?

Kage

As much as I wish they'd keep XMPP so we can use it with obi that's not going to happen. In gmail, there's currently two options: the new Hangouts and the old Google Chat. They won't have both forever; once most of the bugs in Hangouts are taken of and it's working in the platforms where they plan to implement it they'll remove Google Chat so people do need to be prepared.   

zorlac

Quote from: Ostracus on May 25, 2014, 07:02:34 AM
Quote from: 7Priest7 on May 17, 2014, 08:14:40 AM
Let's not forget.
They announced the shutdown ~6months ago.
They had plenty of time to prepare, they probably never intended to shut it down.
Probably just a joke.
Anyone laughing?
I am, all the way to the bank.  :D

dcuste

Does anybody else show their GV account status as "offline"? I haven't even logged into obitalk in years, but my SP2 GV account password was changed and as a result, my SP2 phone stopped working. I tried to log into obitalk all day yesterday with no luck. The connection just timed out every time. Today I logged in and noticed the GV status as offline. I changed the SP2 password and got everything working but the status is still showing offline. Is this odd?

One other question for anybody real familiar with this Google hangouts switchover ........
When GV does finally discontinue XMPP support, will my GV incoming calls stop ringing the OBI but continue to get forwarded to my cell number?

Harley

My phones seem to work but  Phone Power sp1 on my OBI dashboard shows it's offline?

arglebargle

Quote from: Harley on May 23, 2014, 07:31:07 PM
I have Phone Power on SP1 and Google Voice on Sp2 and everything works fine.  I have PP lite so in order to  share the load I'm going to use GV as long as I can. 

I have the same setup and it's still working for now.