News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBiTALK Approved Service Provider Program

Started by Marketing, February 11, 2014, 03:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on April 16, 2014, 03:47:17 PM
Quote from: MikeHObi on April 16, 2014, 02:15:54 PM

Google has had and continues to have some problems with completing calls to some phone numbers held by a number of VOIP providers.  The problem started sometime around November of 2013.  Many numbers are unaffected and many numbers are.  You never know if yours will be affected until you try.

So it is your understanding that it just affects some numbers and not others?

The reason I ask is that I got a free Callcentric DID a week ago and use it as a forwarded number in GV. My understanding is that this affects the free CC DIDs but not the paid CC DIDs. Yet I have tested my free CC DID as much as possible and so far it has worked perfectly with no dropped/incompleted calls and with correct CID passed every time. Based on your post I'm trying to figure out whether I may have lucked out with a "good" DID number that doesn't suffer from this issue or is it more likely I just haven't run into it yet and it's just a matter of time?

Taoman reached out to me privately, but I might as well respond here, too, for other readers' benefit.

I brought this issue to Google engineering months ago, and it was eventually fixed, as far as I know.  I also use a CC free NY DID as a GV forwarding number, and it has worked fine for months now.  YMMV, of course.  The reason being, VoIP service providers use various carriers to route calls, on a least-cost-routing basis if possible, and one or more of those carriers may block or mangle the call during routing.  Sometimes, the failing carriers need to be identified and blacklisted to solve it.  I can't disclose any more than that, but if individual users continue to experience failures with a large percentage of their forwarded GV calls to a CC/Telengy DID, please open a post over on the GV forum, and we'll try to resolve it.  There's no point to nagging CC about it at this point.

MikeHObi

Quote from: Taoman on April 16, 2014, 03:47:17 PM
So it is your understanding that it just affects some numbers and not others?

The reason I ask is that I got a free Callcentric DID a week ago and use it as a forwarded number in GV. My understanding is that this affects the free CC DIDs but not the paid CC DIDs. Yet I have tested my free CC DID as much as possible and so far it has worked perfectly with no dropped/incompleted calls and with correct CID passed every time. Based on your post I'm trying to figure out whether I may have lucked out with a "good" DID number that doesn't suffer from this issue or is it more likely I just haven't run into it yet and it's just a matter of time?

There have been reports from people with Free Callcentric DID's that have not had problems with google voice and those that have paid numbers with Callcentric that have had problems.

Thus my only assumption is that whatever the problem is, it only affects some areas and not others.  It has some thing to do with routing of the calls. Personally I could call my home from my office any time and the call completion was perfect.  But if I called from my cell phone or if family members called there would be call completion issues.  What causes that?  I don't know, but the problem is on Googles end.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

VoIP2Go

I have experienced problems with Free Callcentric DID's in general, so I don't think it's specific to GV.

Don't forget that IPKall still provide free DID's for those that decide not to port their numbers out of GV.
DNS redundancy, Provider redundancy and DoS Ready.

Hank_OBI

I have been using Google voice with my OBIs for a couple years now, never had issues

I have three OBI devices, 1 - 202 and 2- 110 they all work great. 

I signed up for PhonePower a few weeks ago, started with their $35/yr plan but found the 300 mins/mo was not going to cut it so I upgraded to the $60 unlimited plan.   

Phonepower spoofs the Google voice number so people can still see that number when you call.  I have forwarded my Google voice number to the new PhonePower number.  Phonepower also has setting for low bandwidth if that is an issue for you. They also have a BLOCKED LIST for "those people you want to block"  ;) and SELECTIVE FORWARDING.  I have found the calls crystal clear with PhonePower and very feature rich.

I have one of the OBIs in the Philippines setup with a local number which makes for very cheap international calling.   I have been able to keep the firmware up to date from here which I really like.

Anyway  PhonePower gets two thumbs up from me so far.

G-Man

Does anyone know how much PhonePower will cost after the 1 year special through Obitalk is over? When I go direct to their site their current plans look almost as bad as my old Vonage that I dumped. Special pricing offered through ObiTalk looks good for at least a year, but if they go up after that... I'll be on the hunt again.

I've only had free service for 10 months and then got caught up in this May 15th Google change. So far they have not discontinued my service (as of May 16th 2:45PM West Coast). But I need to make the switch before it kicks in (or out). Whichever service I go with, I plan on keeping my number with GoogleVoice and forwarding to the new service.

My current setup is the Obi100 using GoogleVoice (ported home # to T-Mobile temp SIM then into GV). Outbound calls are pure GV through the Obi100. Inbound GV calls are forwarded to a CallCentric free DID (NY Prefix) where I pay $1.5/month to add E911 and have it process CNAM since GV doesn't provide inbound Caller ID.

I know it seems to make sense to stay with CallCentric since my inbound calls are already set up and only cost $1.50/month, but their lowest outbound plan is $7 a month whereas PhonePower is just $2.92.

Bottom line - I rarely use this phone number but have had it for 25 years. Though it is not used often it is the official house number for bills, school etc.; so I want to keep it, but at the lowest cost possible.

AlanB

Quote from: G-Man on May 16, 2014, 02:36:45 PM

My current setup is the Obi100 using GoogleVoice (ported home # to T-Mobile temp SIM then into GV). Outbound calls are pure GV through the Obi100. Inbound GV calls are forwarded to a CallCentric free DID (NY Prefix) where I pay $1.5/month to add E911 and have it process CNAM since GV doesn't provide inbound Caller ID.

I know it seems to make sense to stay with CallCentric since my inbound calls are already set up and only cost $1.50/month, but their lowest outbound plan is $7 a month whereas PhonePower is just $2.92.

Bottom line - I rarely use this phone number but have had it for 25 years. Though it is not used often it is the official house number for bills, school etc.; so I want to keep it, but at the lowest cost possible.

If you barely use it, why not just use the CallCentric Pay Per Call plan. http://www.callcentric.com/rate/plans/pay_per_call/

It doesn't have the cheapest rates but if you barely use it that shouldn't matter. Or sign up with CircleNet for outgoing calls. They have good rates and customer service.

Keep your incoming as you have it.

G-Man

AlanB, thank you for that tip. I am currently looking into that (and the fine print). I had no idea CallCentric offered pay-as-you-go since I only ever used their free DID I had blinders on.

carl

Quote from: VoIP2Go on May 06, 2014, 08:56:51 AM
I have experienced problems with Free Callcentric DID's in general, so I don't think it's specific to GV.

Don't forget that IPKall still provide free DID's for those that decide not to port their numbers out of GV.

I wonder what kind of problems you encountered with the free NYC DID's from Callcentric- maybe you want to be more specific. I have not encountered one single issue since inception except things like no/fake CLID from garbage providers which have nothing to do with Callcentric/Telengy.
I think that the free NYC DID program from Callcentric is excellent, making it possible to use advanced and quality  CC services and features on pay as you go basis without any financial commitment. An excellent idea from an otherwise relatively expensive provider which should be IMO praised, not criticized.

Richierich

Signed up for Anveo 3 months ago in preparation for May 15th. Rock solid in and out. 1/10 cent per min outgoing free incoming. Seems reasonable..  Ironically my GV voice number continues fine with Obi202 and it's May 17th.

malahal

Quote from: Richierich on May 17, 2014, 08:44:19 AM
Signed up for Anveo 3 months ago in preparation for May 15th. Rock solid in and out. 1/10 cent per min outgoing free incoming. Seems reasonable..  Ironically my GV voice number continues fine with Obi202 and it's May 17th.

I only see 1c a minute (333 minutes for $3.33). When did they offer 1/10 cent per minute outgoing calls?

AlanB

Quote from: malahal on May 23, 2014, 05:02:47 PM
Quote from: Richierich on May 17, 2014, 08:44:19 AM

I only see 1c a minute (333 minutes for $3.33). When did they offer 1/10 cent per minute outgoing calls?
I signed up three months ago as well. I never saw 1/10 cent per minute either. I suspect Richierich made a typo.

Harley

Let get back to basics, Free is what Obi has been in the past and for the foreseen future it's still free, however that could stop any minute.  $50.00 a year for the average residential plan seems fair anything more than that is just plain robbery.  The so called lite plans that run $35 to $40. seems about right and fair considering Obi customers are paying for their own voip equipment, however the outgoing calling minutes per month is a little stingy 500 hours would seem to be a better fit. $80.00 a year is simply insane. Hang in there everyone before long someone will come up with a better solution, it may 6 months or so but a better plan and or configuration will emerge. Even Magic Jack and Net Talk are getting a little expensive, but there again something will come along and uproot them. Basic Talk from Walmart advertises unlimited domestic calling for $9.99 a month so why would anyone consider paying an outrages price for a voip service that you BYOD?

Heleen

I've applied for the Anveo "approved" services program. Somewhere in the process. I've lost the capability to "bridge" from another SIP-account to my Anveo channel. It is only possible to call to a fixed number (or dial a number from a direct connected phone). Is this intentional, or a problem in my configuration?  Also the ability to bridge to another (non-Anveo) channel has been lost. Anyone a clue?

AlanB

Heleen

I would suggest you start a new topic with this question.

vailiyat

Quote from: squiggy on February 11, 2014, 05:46:38 PM
I'm surprised this was not a more competitive package--especially the limited # of outgoing minutes. There are way to many better options out there. usa today protonmail As much as I like my Obi I would dump it and use netTalk before I would take this option.
Today, we would like to inform everyone, Obihai have partnered with Anveo to deliver the first such offering as part of the launch of the public-facing OBiTALK Approved Service Provider (ASP) program.  We are excited to announce it first to OBiTALK forum readers, to anyone visiting the OBiTALK portal and soon (as the word spreads), to those who notice related discussions and future promotions we are planning that highlight the best and smartest BYOD VoIP solution available today.

Black1Star

Does anybody know if Skype will work with Obi110?  Skype has a service for $2.99 a month subscription with unlimited calls to USA and Canada...I want my Skype number to ring on my house phone instead of just my computer...also so far I have to leave my computer on...must be a way...does anyone know about Skype internet phones...need something to plug into router instead of computer...thanks...aud

contact5

Does anyone know why Anveo registration is no longer available and is it going to be available at all and when?
Pricing is available but there is no sign up button ???

https://www.anveo.com/anveoforobitalk.asp?sid=217e91058a1b84b8252c4b87ed320e15