News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Coming Soon: Ring.to a new OBiTALK ASP with Absolutely FREE Calling!

Started by yosif, May 15, 2014, 10:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny

Has anyone ported a number to ring.to, and if so, how long did it take, and were there any problems?

I'm considering porting a number in and just using GrooveIP.

I emailed support with a question, and although I got an immediate response to the email, they have yet to get back to me with an actual answer.

Maybe they're off on the weekends?

giqcass

Quote from: Johnny on July 19, 2014, 05:39:50 PM
Has anyone ported a number to ring.to, and if so, how long did it take, and were there any problems?
Here is my experience.  I paid no fees and have had no issues.
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8141.0
Long live our new ObiLords!

Johnny

Quote from: giqcass on July 19, 2014, 07:25:29 PM
Quote from: Johnny on July 19, 2014, 05:39:50 PM
Here is my experience.  I paid no fees and have had no issues.
https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8141.0

Thank you for that link and information.

If I may ask you another question or two?

Are you using ring.to with your Android device and in particular GrooveIP, and if so, how is that going?

Does ring.to provide incoming and outgoing Caller ID with name?

Is there any waiting period before you port out of ring.to if you decide you don't like it?

During the porting process did you provide the info needed or did you allow ring.to to fill out the form for you?

Sorry, I guess that was more than one or two questions. :)

Thanks.....

DigDug

Porting was extremely painless. I don't think it could be any easier. They sent an e-mail (and pushed a notification to my mobile app) informing me of the date the number would port over (which was two days later) and did the same to inform me that the porting was complete.

GrooveIP works great and integrates into the native dialer. Ring.to has its own separate app to allow you to manage your ring.to account (toggle forwarding, turn on/off voicemail, look at SMS and VM messages, etc).

Charl3z523

This service is definitely too good to be true. It's been nearly a week since I tried porting my landline # over to them and while I initially got the automatic emails of when the # should be ported, they sent me another automatic email saying there is an error and that I need to contact them several days ago...

Except I'm not even sure this company still even exists anymore. It's been days since I've emailed customer service. Different emails, different email accounts, trying to get their attention on twitter, going into their sorry excuse for a forum.... NOTHING.

I have no idea how to get into contact with anyone from this company. I'm not even sure they have a customer support line. I think some random guy is suppose to check the email and maybe he opens it up once a week or something.

Well, anyone recommend any other alternatives? For the people who bought an Obi before May, don't worry, this service sucks.

Taoman

Quote from: Charl3z523 on August 06, 2014, 04:36:47 AM
Well, anyone recommend any other alternatives? For the people who bought an Obi before May, don't worry, this service sucks.

Google Voice is still going strong nearly 3 months after the supposed May 15th cutoff date. I'd give them a try for the time being. Price is right.

Both PhonePower and Vestalink have cheap subscription plans if you're willing to pay for 1 or 2 years at a time. Personally, I had no luck with Vestalink (too much latency) but PP has been working great for me. But I know a lot of people love Vestalink so YMMV.

Or you could get a free DID from Callcentric, IPComms, or IPKall and then get a PAYG plan from a low cost provider like Localphone or CircleNet for outgoing calls.

mykmayk

Quote from: Taoman on August 06, 2014, 09:31:39 AM
Or you could get a free DID from ... IPKall and then get a PAYG plan from a low cost provider like Localphone or CircleNet for outgoing calls.

this is what i have on one of my obis.  ;D  works fine, esp for me since i don't make a lot of toll calls.  a backup for the free gv.
əʞɪɯ mɪke

TonyTib

As far as staying on GV goes, in my case there's an important consideration: if Google does cut off access without notice, my wife will be irate at me, and will make the cost of paying for service (VL, in my case) look like a bargain.

I have Ring.to on my phone via Groove (which I bought back in its GV days).  So far it's OK, but I'm kind of waiting to see what happens.

Charl3z523

Quote from: Taoman on August 06, 2014, 09:31:39 AM

Google Voice is still going strong nearly 3 months after the supposed May 15th cutoff date. I'd give them a try for the time being. Price is right.

Both PhonePower and Vestalink have cheap subscription plans if you're willing to pay for 1 or 2 years at a time. Personally, I had no luck with Vestalink (too much latency) but PP has been working great for me. But I know a lot of people love Vestalink so YMMV.

Or you could get a free DID from Callcentric, IPComms, or IPKall and then get a PAYG plan from a low cost provider like Localphone or CircleNet for outgoing calls.

What would be the best situation for me? I'm trying to port over my parents landline to ring.to (which is impossible) so they could have free phone service at home.

I need unlimited inbound & outbound minutes, as well as good quality of course. I don't mind paying a bit, but if prices start getting close to those of local telephone companies then there's no reason for me personally to port over.

cluckercreek

I have had great service from Ring.to. They ported my GV number in few days. Only problem I had was Browser related. This is a known fact that they are working on. It is listed on their web page. I give them a thumbs up so far, especially for a free service.