News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Future Nine Not Working Most Times

Started by mnjeepmale, August 28, 2014, 10:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mango

Quote from: Hawaii on September 08, 2014, 03:06:17 PM
I was told that their INCOMING and OUTGOING servers are/(were?) two different servers.

What are the IPs that you tried to register to?  Did you try 64.251.23.244?

Hawaii

I didn't try by IP.

64.251.23.244 is the same as future-nine.com.

Mango

Quote from: Hawaii on September 08, 2014, 03:34:56 PM64.251.23.244 is the same as future-nine.com.

Avocet:~# dig +short future-nine.com

Not at the moment it's not.

Hawaii

"Non-Existent Domain" is the title page of the web page now fetched from areasnap.com. If you go to that address, it also has a fake page, indicating (falsely) that you didn't find it.

It's certainly possible that the domain has been hijacked, I suppose, but I believe this sort of thing more generally indicates that the domain owner has sold off the domain to people that run these fake search pages and then absconded.  We just don't know at this point, and if the outage persists, may not find out.

Michael_Reeder

Well I hope to gods they do come back online after a service outage.  No, I would not port away for a few hour outage.  I have been VERY happy with F9 to-date.

I have important calls on one of my phone numbers, which is being used as a business number, so I do need to take the idea of porting seriously however.  If its even possible to port a phone number quickly from a nonresponsive company?  (If that is what they become.)

-- Michael

Hawaii

They outsourced their porting. I'm trying to track down the company that might have done it for them, but it's too late on the East Coast.

If I understand correctly (and perhaps I'm wrong), the delay depends on the source of the DID. I've been told that it helps if it is arranged by a local outfit that knows the players. This is mostly a mystery to me, perhaps someone else knows more.

Hawaii

In my ignorance of how it works, I don't even know if my number is mine anymore -- or if it belongs to F9. In which case, how would it be ported to a new provider at all... or would one have to be able to demonstrate that F9 has gone out of business?

I do hope they come back, and soon.

Mango

You can port a number from a defunct service provider.

However, I stress that at this time there is no evidence that is the case here.

I guess no one wants to try registering to 64.251.23.244 to see if it works for incoming/outgoing calls?  I see that it does respond to SIP.

Michael_Reeder

Quote from: Hawaii on September 08, 2014, 03:44:00 PM
"Non-Existent Domain" is the title page of the web page now fetched from areasnap.com. If you go to that address, it also has a fake page, indicating (falsely) that you didn't find it.

It's certainly possible that the domain has been hijacked, I suppose, but I believe this sort of thing more generally indicates that the domain owner has sold off the domain to people that run these fake search pages and then absconded.  We just don't know at this point, and if the outage persists, may not find out.

There are several links on a Google search to instances of DNS hijacking to areasnap.com ...  Boy I hope so...

-- Michael

Mango

A user on the other forum states that registering to the IP allows him to make and receive calls.

ebow

Quote from: Mango on September 08, 2014, 05:06:29 PM
DNS has been fixed.

Yup, and I'm able to log into the customer portal site and all my info appears to be intact. Was able to just make a call out and call in!   ;D

edit: and I didn't do any kind of re-registering or anything, just waited and tried a few times.

ebow

Another thought: this thread title is "... not working most times" -- I haven't found that to be the case, myself. There have been some glitches, including DTMF beeps from vocals, a few call cutoffs, and a bit of latency over the past few months (from what I understand, things that can be expected from most lower cost VOIP providers), but mostly it works pretty well up until this outage. Here's hoping it was just a server crash or attack that can be prevented in the future!

Mango

The topic was started by a user with a configuration issue, so the subject isn't related to today's DNS issue.  My guess is the OP had a problem with his router.  He hasn't been back, so hopefully that means the firmware upgrade solved the problem.

There was no server crash (customers were able to make/receive calls if they registered to a server's IP address).  At the moment, no evidence of an attack.  Apparently their DNS provider erroneously suspended their account.

ebow

Quote from: Mango on September 08, 2014, 05:27:12 PM
The topic was started by a user with a configuration issue, so the subject isn't related to today's DNS issue.  My guess is the OP had a problem with his router.  He hasn't been back, so hopefully that means the firmware upgrade solved the problem.

There was no server crash (customers were able to make/receive calls if they registered to a server's IP address).  At the moment, no evidence of an attack.  Apparently their DNS provider erroneously suspended their account.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have a lot going on and have been reading threads a bit too quickly.

I'm curious about registering to the IP address, though, in case this happens again in the future. I've forgotten a lot about what I learned when I first got my OBi and set up F9, since everything worked smoothly. Would I put the IP address in the "Service Provider Proxy Server" field in my ObiTalk dashboard (instead of "incoming.future-nine.com") or in each spot that I find "incoming.future-nine.com" on the local device config site (192.168.x.x)? Actually, I bet they're the same thing (simple vs. advanced access).

Mango

Exactly.  However, you should not do this unless there is a problem with DNS as there was today.  If a server goes down, they use DNS-based failover to move you to another server.  So you should use the hostname of incoming.future-nine.com as a general rule.

If you're using OBiTALK, you can use OBi Expert Configuration, but you should not configure your device locally as OBiTALK will overwrite the changes.

Michael_Reeder

All systems functioning.  I have three phone numbers with F9.  Whew.

Michael

ebow

Got this message from F9 early this morning:
QuoteOur DNS provider (DNS Made Easy) disconnected our account over a false billing issue without warning or notification. We've settled the bill and taking it up with them about the lack of warning/notification. They have been impeccable until now for 6 years, hopefully this will continue going forward.

Wish that Future Nine were a bit more communicative about problems, though with DNS down they probably couldn't have posted a message in this case.

Michael_Reeder

As of this moment I do not see an after-the-fact outage announcement or technical update posted.  Regular service outage messages would help with confidence, or at least messages after major crashes. 

SteveInWA

If there was any doubt about the ethics and character of Nitzan, after he couldn't take me and others here on this forum calling him out for his tactics, you can read his name calling and trash talking about me to his sycophants over on the DSLReports forum.  The very notion that someone would spend so much time dissing his competitors and bragging about his superiority, only to end up delivering service like this, speaks volumes.  My thanks go to the couple of folks on that forum, who saw how I was trying to help clear up some of the rumors and speculation, and stuck up for my post.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29473001-The-Almost-Official-Word-on-Google-Voice-and-Obihai-~start=30