News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Message Waiting Indicator

Started by Reelmower, January 18, 2013, 12:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reelmower

I set up google voice with my Obi 100 a couple days ago.  Everything worked great for two days.  Now everything works but the message waiting indicator.  It does not come on even when I have messages.  Any tips.  The only thing that has changed is that I ported my landline over to google voice and that completed this morning. It was the same time that I noticed that the message waiting indicator was not working.  I did try resetting the obi and deleting it from my obitalk account and then setting things up from scratch.  Same results.
This worked for two days, so I know it can work.  By the way I am not getting the light or the tone.

lhm.

First thought, wait a day or so for things to settle in with the # port.

Reelmower

Thanks.  I guess I am just excited about my new toy and have obsessed about it.  Hopefully that works.

Reelmower

Well, it is still not working.  Anyone have any tips?

MikeHObi

When you setup google voice you have two options under calls for what to do with missed calls.  You must have the one labeled "Place missed calls in the inbox" checked.

You also need to have an 'unread' voice mail in your 'inbox' to trigger the message waiting indicator.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

Reelmower

I thought I had read that I needed place missed calls in the inbox unchecked.  It is not checked, but it has never been checked and the message waiting indicator worked before.
I do have an unread message in the inbox.

Reelmower

I checked the place missed calls in the inbox box and it did not make a difference.  Still not getting the message waiting indicator.

MikeHObi

I'm testing right now.  You don't need  "Place missed calls in the inbox" checked.  I was looking at my personal google voice config that isn't connected to an obi and apparently the default then was checked.  The default on my obi connected GV account is unchecked, and i do get notifications.

Though I believe i only get notifications if a vm is left after the phone rings.  I'm testing that.

MikeHObi

o.k.  There may be an issue. 

Historically the VM indicator has been working on my home phone connected to the obi.  I performed a test today and found it does not seem to be working anymore.  I called my home number and let it ring through and left a VM.

After 15 minutes no indicator.  I rebooted the obi.  After another 20 minutes, no indicator.  I'll see if it ever comes on.

Reelmower

Fixed.  I put in a support request and Obi fixed it with a firmware update.  Great service.  Thanks Obi.

MikeHObi

Quote from: Reelmower on January 22, 2013, 12:14:09 PM
Fixed.  I put in a support request and Obi fixed it with a firmware update.  Great service.  Thanks Obi.

Custom one or one already available?

Gilmour509

I have a 202 with the same issue, noticed the problem after a firmware upgrade.

MikeHObi

New fimware fixed it!  Woot!  Glad they got it out quick.

CoalMinerRetired

For future reference on this topic, there's a field under each SPx service in an Obi -- SPx > Calling Features > MessageWaiting -- that is 'read only' (meaning you can not change it, the Obi logic changes it) and it will tell you what the Obi thinks is the correct Message Waiting state.

This is independent of the analog phone handset you are using. So if it's on and no indicator on your phone, suspect the phone or settings. If it's off and there are unread messages in GV (or any other provider) something is suspect in the Obi getting interface to the service provider.

I was going to ask someone to elaborate on what new version of the firmware you are talking about, but I now see "3.0.0(3722) for OBi202/OBi302" listed under as updated today, Jan 24.

lhm.

The OP has an Obi100. What is that firmware version? Edit:2774

avinyc

Is there a solution to getting this working again now that google voice is officially supported?  The option to select it has disappeared since the latest firmware upgrade.

Boykin

On the OBiTalk portal, go under expert configuration, voice service and select the SPn that is google voice.  Uncheck OBiTalk and default settings check box on the right for MWIEnable and X_VMWIEnable.  Check the boxes for these features under the values column and click submit.  This works on the 1032s.  Do NOT check the box for MessageWaiting or it will turn the messaging waiting indicator light on all the time. 

avinyc

I tried that, even enabled anonymousecallblockenable as mentioned in another thread.  Placed a call and let it go to voicemail.  No indicator is showing up.  I will leave those options enabled anyway, perhaps it will start working again later.

Boykin

I called one of my GV numbers from my cell phone and left a voice mail and my MW light on my 1032s did NOT come on.  I was wrong.  The stutter dial tone is not working either.  I think when this was working for me I had the box checked that made the light and stutter dial tone be on all the time. 

BigRedBrent

It looks like google voicemail notifications have been left out with the new authentication method. I would love to get those notifications added back if at all possible.