News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Message Waiting Indicator

Started by Reelmower, January 18, 2013, 12:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkObihai

Quote from: Newbie on September 15, 2014, 11:23:14 PM
Short version:
GV MWI (stutter tone and visual indication) is working fine on an OBI 200 SW 3.0.1 (Build: 4367) configured manually using the OBI 200 web interface and never configured in the OBITALK portal.
It's good to hear MWI is still working for you, however this method of connecting to GV is no longer supported.

Long version:
I just got an OBI 200 that came with SW 3.0.1 (Build: 4367). I was an early adopter of the OBI 110 and after just updating the 110's firmware and getting forced into using the OBITALK gateway and the new Google authorization, I made sure to stay away from OBITALK and disabled firmware updates and OBITALK before letting the OBI 200 have internet access.
(Updated my OBI 110 fw from this thread Build 2872 http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8482.0)
I think it's important to clarify a few things here to understand why GV is implemented in the way it is and how it fits alongside Obihai's broader communication platform support:

• Obihai develops cloud managed communication devices that are sold globally to both service providers and consumers. The OBiTALK cloud is a highly-scalable device provisioning and management platform designed to operate alongside or directly integrate with service provider infrastructure.
  • The devices that Obihai sell to consumers leverage this same platform but on a "micro" scale with a more friendly user interface. You can think of this as having your own (user friendly) mini service provider interface for managing up to a dozen or so devices, regardless of where they are located.

• For our consumer customers with a Google account, Obihai supports Google Voice when it is setup via the OBiTALK portal.  Google only supports OBi devices authenticating with their platform using the new secure authentication method via the OBiTALK portal.

• We also support Approved Service Providers via the portal, whereby the sign up for service and service provisioning is done directly between the ITSP and the OBiTALK portal by way of API. We hope to add more Approved Service Providers in the future, both from North America and other countries around the world.

• Our devices include a comprehensive feature set to allow our customers to flexibly configure their device for their application or to their preference.  One feature we include is the ability for our users to remove their device from the OBiTALK platform and manage it locally as well as manage firmware upgrades manually. Taking note of the third bullet point, GV authentication is not supported via the local UI

We always recommend our customers use the OBiTALK portal for the best supported user experience that leverages all the additional features of their device (such as approved service providers and supported GV).  The vast majority of OBi owners want to set their device up via the portal and forget about it.  

After manually setting up voip.ms, 2 GV lines and a free Callcentric DID using only the OBI200 web interface, GV voice mail indication, both stutter tone and visual indication, is working fine. I'll definitely avoid any firmware upgrades and will be one pissed off customer if they manage to force one. They shouldn't be able to unless they've left a hidden backdoor access mechanism.
Please ensure you've followed the guidance within the Device Admin Guide to ensure your device operates in the desired fashion for your advanced configuration.

I've been away from these forums since the first few months after the OBI 100/110 release and was appalled to find OBIHAI no longer allows firmware downgrades. On top of that they don't even seem to be providing release notes for many firmware versions. I can't find any info on the changes to the OBI 110 firmware I upgraded to or the firmware that came on my new OBI200.
There are a number of reasons for not supporting firmware downgrades. Security, functionality and the requirements of the majority of end users is what drives this approach.  This may be inconvenient for some of our power users, but we have to weigh up the good of the many over the good of the individual. It's not a simple scenario with a simple answer I'm afraid.

I'll take on-board your firmware release notes comment.
Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)

Mango

Quote from: MarkObihai on September 16, 2014, 02:07:28 AMWe always recommend our customers use the OBiTALK portal for the best supported user experience

Mark,

What is your response to the following three users who now have ostensibly damaged devices?  If they had not used the portal, it is likely the devices would still be functioning for their use.

Obihai bricked my Obi110
UPDATE FAILED/INTERUPTED now obi support says i need to buy a new one.
obi100 toasted after failed firmware update? Power light flashing red and green

If it were just one user, you could argue that maybe they had a momentary power failure or accidentally unplugged their device while it was updating.  But three?  All within a week, and all making the same firmware upgrade?

My device is out of warranty and I'll not use it with the OBiTALK portal or upgrade its firmware.  The new firmware removes features (ability to configure GV without OBiTALK), comes with the risk of bricking the device, and can't be downgraded if I decide I don't like it.  I realize how I choose to use my device is not really relevant to you, but I post this alternate point of view so that new users are aware of the risks of your recommendations.

m.

MarkObihai

Quote from: Mango on September 16, 2014, 06:51:07 AM
What is your response to the following three users who now have ostensibly damaged devices?  If they had not used the portal, it is likely the devices would still be functioning for their use .... If it were just one user, you could argue that maybe they had a momentary power failure or accidentally unplugged their device while it was updating.  But three?  All within a week, and all making the same firmware upgrade?

Hi Mango,

We spend considerable time ensuring the hardware used in the manufacturing of our products is durable and as such offer a 1-year warranty on the hardware.  As with any electronic device it has a finite life span and some users will experience a longer device life span than others - this could be due to the nature of the components within the device, the operating environment or other factors. While you probably wouldn't expect an appliance (or device) to last 80 years, they sometimes do (and sometimes they don't).  The long and short of it is that we could manufacture a device to "NASA Standards" but the cost of the device would be prohibitive.

In the case of a device updating and failing during a software update this could be down to a number of reasons - for example a corrupted firmware image caused by a data connectivity problem or perhaps the heightened device activity triggering a failing component to finally fail.  The number of failures versus the significant number of devices updated does not, in itself, indicate a problem with the firmware update or the OBiTALK portal.

- Mark.
Obihai Technology (London, United Kingdom)

Mango

I'm using this thread to collect anecdotal reports of OBi1 devices failing after the firmware update.

Obi 110 not working - just red light blinking after recent GV firmware update

OBI100 Stopped Working after Firmware Upgrade
This user has different symptoms than the others.  The device appears to work, but loses connection with either Google Voice or a SIP service provider after a time.  Obihai support confirmed it is electrically damaged however.

It is interesting that so many users have experienced a corrupted firmware image or component failure with this specific firmware update.  I don't recall any other firmware update that garnered such complaints.

Mango

Obi100 Alternating Red / Green
Three users in this thread report issues.  One had his device replaced under warranty.  One can resurrect the device, but has the problem every week or so.

SteveInWA

Three users on this forum, out of who knows how many devices sold (tens or hundreds of thousands?) is within typical statistical process control expectations.  This isn't an epidemic.

Ryan_Tilton

If MWI is very important to you and there turns out to be no updates to fix this or work arounds.  You can use the voicemail service I have created to get your MWI working again.  It offers the same features as Google voice such as transcription and email/sms alerts.