News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Any Obi202s bricked with latest firmware upgrade?

Started by kitt, September 26, 2014, 11:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitt

I've been using obi202 with various voip services.
Just tried to configure an empty SP slot directly with my google voice account, per recent obihai announcement.
Obi told me I needed a firmware upgrade to do this
I read that a number of obi1xx devices are experiencing difficulty with this, including getting bricked.
Are obi202 devices doing OK with this firmware upgrade?

MikePA

SteveInWA

There have been no reports of OBi 20x devices having problems with the recent firmware upgrades, and only 3 reports here for 1xx devices. 

Keep in mind that online forums tend to get the people with problems, and the many (tens of thousands?  hundreds of thousands?) of users who just use the product without problems don't post.

Mango

Actually it's at least eight reports of problems with OBi1 firmware, not three.

JohnBowler

I've upgraded to 3.0.1 (Build: 4350) without problem, this is an upgrade via the Obi itself (I hardly ever even look at ObiTalk these days).  I don't use ***6 or attempt to invoke an upgrade myself, just wait for things to come down automatically.

Auto firmware update is enabled, but the check line is:

IF ( $FWV < 3.0.0.3460 ) FWU http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi202-3-0-0-3460.fw

(Notice that is 3.0.0, not 3.0.1).  ITSP provisioning is disabled (I think that's only for ISP provided units) and Obitalk provisioning is enabled.  Consequently I assume the Obi is getting updates through ObitTalk (even though I don't use it) and ObiTalk isn't saying the device should be updated at this point.

I believe some people reporting problems had obtained build 4420 (or something like that).  I don't use GV for outgoing calls; GV dials my e911 number on my SIP which then distributes the calls to the VOIP devices I use, including the Obi.

Taoman

Quote from: JohnBowler on September 27, 2014, 10:06:40 AM
GV dials my e911 number on my SIP which then distributes the calls to the VOIP devices I use, including the Obi.

Good trick if you can do it.

JohnBowler

Quote from: Taoman on September 27, 2014, 10:37:26 AM
Quote from: JohnBowler on September 27, 2014, 10:06:40 AM
GV dials my e911 number on my SIP which then distributes the calls to the VOIP devices I use, including the Obi.
Good trick if you can do it.

Anyone can do it; any US telephone number works.  I just use the e911 number because I already have that for e911.  It's over complicated because all I use GV for is to contact my VOIP provider and ring several mobiles but it seems to be the only way to do that; I don't want to rely on Bria on the mobiles because in the US, and particularly here in Southern Oregon, data connectivity is even more fragmentary than voice.  When I'm outside the US I just use Bria, and GV becomes just a waste of space.

Totally off topic of course.

flynmoose

Well - i am reporting a bricked 202.   Firmware upgraded today and now it boots, gets an IP and shows a steady green power light and a WAN activity light.   Neither phone port works. Can't use any IVR codes and cannot access the web admin page.

I've tried a hard reset twice per Obi.

Delete Obi from Obitalk
Unplug
Push and hold reset button
Plug in power
Wait until power light fast blinks, red light and then back to slow blinking green
Release paperclip.
(per this page - http://www.obihai.com/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/How-to-Factory-Reset)

I've tried three different phones in each port.  Phone ports appear dead at this point.  No ringer voltage b/c when I try an old unpowered handset, I cannot generate any touch tone.

SteveInWA

Quote from: flynmoose on October 09, 2014, 12:36:35 PM
Well - i am reporting a bricked 202.   Firmware upgraded today and now it boots, gets an IP and shows a steady green power light and a WAN activity light.   Neither phone port works. Can't use any IVR codes and cannot access the web admin page.

I've tried a hard reset twice per Obi.

Delete Obi from Obitalk
Unplug
Push and hold reset button
Plug in power
Wait until power light fast blinks, red light and then back to slow blinking green
Release paperclip.
(per this page - http://www.obihai.com/faq/Troubleshooting-sec/How-to-Factory-Reset)

I've tried three different phones in each port.  Phone ports appear dead at this point.  No ringer voltage b/c when I try an old unpowered handset, I cannot generate any touch tone.

Stating the obvious, open a problem ticket with Obihai support.

flynmoose

I did open a ticket and after much back and forth was told that my Obi had electrical problems and I should just buy a new one...

>:(

What really irritates me is that I left it plugged in all last week on business travel (mostly by accident - I had reverted all my phone lines back to my old PAP2T and just didn't power the Obi off.)

On a whim, I tried accessing the Obi by plugging in a dumb unpowered phone this morning - low and behold a dial tone.  And when I added the Obi back via ObiTalk - it responded, accepted my touch tones etc.

AND - it has the latest firmware (4420) which I was told EXPLICITLY by an Obi Tech had nothing to do with my problem.   

Don't know if they used a back door to get in (it was working at least to retrieve an IP address) - or if sitting unmolested but powered on for a week magically cured it - either way it is working.

Thankfully I DIDN'T buy another box (was thinking hard about whether I wanted to do that - my father's Obi ALSO bit the dust some months ago but was still under warranty and I got a new one for him.) 

If you think you are bricked, my advice would be to power off, do a hard reset per Obi, power on and just let it sit for a good long time.  (Oh and open a ticket and maybe the Obi fairies will sneak in and fix it for you!  ::)

loispol

My phones do not work now and have degraded in use since the google voice update. Advice from OBihai support made everything worse. I have multiple tickets in on my obi202  probs, no voice at all on phones and callers can't hear slam phone down or the phone just don't ring. I have spent hours attempting  to fix, end result no phone service, fax or 911, all which worked before google update. I need advice (simple) how to fix? BTW I even got a new modem attempting to fix this problem. Modem works fine and I allowed a pass-through on the modem for obi but phones are a non-working mess.  ???

H8245

I have the very same problem as flynmoose (replyv#7) is having with my 202. The order of my steps was slightly different. The last thing I attempted was to delete the device from my dashboard in order to add again as new. Now it cannot be added, and cannot return a ping from the obi server.

I did fire up my old 110 and upgraded the firmware. No issues configuring with GV. Unfortunately I cannot take advantage of my 2 line phone with a 110.

Mango

When you get the chance, please contact Obihai's support and let us know what they say.

meerkat

My OBI202 was updated to 4747 (latest as of this writing) and everything works fine, I did updated every release.

I did "brick" my obi202 in one of the release. I posted the issue here, then followed upwith by finding.

I found is if I setup network port using statically assigned IP address, then the firmware since few releases go, renders the obi no longer working, but revert the  default DHCP configuration, everything works again.

Since then, I changed to use DHCP and have not test if OBI fixed the bug related to static IP

I have many computers I normally statically configure IP to every one of them to ease the management.

Hortoristic

The latest firmware didn't brick my 202 but it did stop my SP configured for GV to stop working.  The status always reads "not configured".  Been using it for many years; even tried configuring a new SP from scratch for GV and it also says "not configured" when I reboot.

I filed a ticket with OBHAI yesterday and haven't heard back.  I thought it might have been just me - but I'm seeing others with same challenges on different posts.